GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Dog Health > Hip Problems
Maya - In Loving- Memory

BSL: Educate,- don't- discriminate.

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 8:12am PST 
Maya had severe arthritis when she came to me. I tend to rescue kenneled-constantly dogs, for some reason. Maya, after I moved out of the home of family members, was no longer looked after properly. They didn't walk the dogs(I did every morning and evening), fed them LITERALLY the cheapest crap they could buy, and never bothered with veterinary care and to ice that cake off, they kenneled them CONSTANTLY if they weren't left in the backyard.

I ended up taking her home with me one day after pointing out to them how sick they were making her. Her arthritis got so bad, she was having troubles MOVING without pain, she was sore all the time, acted like she was 25 instead of 7 when I took her..

I got her on a grain-free diet(She went from Ol' Roy, and various other similar foods to Acana/raw), added Salmon oil to her food, along with a pinch of cinnamon(natural anti-inflammatory), and raw egg(usually with the shell ground up into a fine powder). I usually added some water to her food too to help a little with hydration. I also began supplementing with Glucosamine/Chondroitine pills(found out that now they have it available in liquid form! Boy that would have been handy at the time!). There's even treats out there now with Glucosamine in them, how handy is that!?! Zuke's has a Hip Action treat formula now and A LOT of people with pets who have sore arthritic hips, or hip dysplasia come in and grab those treats and tell us that even just the added benefit of the Glucosamine in the treats makes a world of difference.

Maya went from lagging behind on walks, and yelping if you would so much as walk past her because of the vibrations in the floor, to running across fields and playing like a puppy again. She still didn't like other dogs jumping on her back or hips, and she was forevermore impatient with children, but she was HEALTHY.

I did end up having to let her go much later due to pain that regressed and Canine Cognitive Dysfunction - it wasn't fair to keep her going for my sake, and she was ready to go, but I gave her two more years of being healthy and happy.

I'll note too, Maya also felt better after exercise, and preferred the hard floor to softer surfaces to lay on. I always found it a little odd(the floor vs furniture that is).

That said, I'd definitely get the x-rays done anyway, just to be sure. But it does sound overall, more like arthritis and if that's the case, there are supplements that can help with pain and easing inflammation. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Jan 24 6:55 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > How Do You Remember?
Maya - In Loving- Memory

Barked: Fri Jun 24, '11 12:47am PST 
What did you get or do to remember your beloved furry friend?

Maya was gone too soon, in my opinion. If she'd had me before she got old and sick, she may have lived longer.. Or may not have because of the bad breeding behind her... I truly hate people who do that to animals, but I can't help but be grateful that I ended up with her in my life.

The night before Maya was to be PTS, I got some paint, a nice textured paper and got my own paw print from her, as I could not afford a ceramic one from the vet, or her ashes, sadly enough...

The paw print is going to be used as my logo for anything involving dogs or animals as I get into dog training, etc. That paw print is also getting photoshopped onto a picture I took of her the day she was PTS(it was one of her good days and she looked great out in the field and looked so happy...), which I plan to get blown up into a large size to frame and hang on my wall with her collar hanging with it.

I also went as far as to get her paw print tattooed. I had a mess up of an old tattoo on my inner right forearm and needed something to cover it with, so decided to go with something that meant a lot to me - Maya's very own paw print. I got her name in cursive letters above the paw and her dates, 2002-2011 beneath it. This paw will be with me, always.

R.I.P my girl.

So do/did you do anything specific as a memorial to your pet?

Charlie and Maya's Mom
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by , Oct 2 3:39 am

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > I got a card in the mail.

Maya - In Loving- Memory

Barked: Tue Jun 7, '11 9:49am PST 
From the vet clinic that put down Maya. Two cards, actually and a book mark. One card saying "When you lose a pet.... When we lose a beloved pet, we lose a part of our family. Pet's don't just live with us, they laugh with us, they share with us, and they love with us. May you love you shared live forever in your heart." and then signed to the 'Smith Family' they wrote in their own writing "Every pet is special in its unique way of loving life. May your memories of Maya forever hug your heart." and they all signed it and in memory of Maya, made a donation to the Humane Society.

What a way to bring on the tears. The other card was talking about the Rainbow Bridge that so many of us know about. Talking about how the pet is happy, healthy, but they still miss the people they left behind, and eventually, the owner will see their pet there again.. etc.

So depressing. It's a nice touch from the clinic though.

My way of keeping her in my loving memory? My tribute to her? Her paw print is going to be tattooed on me, and used as the logo for any pet related things I do, such as when I start dog training. Also, in loving memory of her, I continue began helping rescue organizations and am a new foster parent with the Beagle rescue.
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by , Jun 29 2:34 pm

Senior Dogs > Well Now I Get It. Sort Of. Rant.

Maya - In Loving- Memory

Barked: Mon May 30, '11 3:54pm PST 
See, when I called, I was calling to find price quotes associated only with the initial appointment, euthanasia and general cremation(don't get the ashes back) and for that alone, she quoted me $480. Which is why I found it so ridiculous. For that price, I'd at least want the ashes back.

The place I went to did not use an IV, nor was there a tech. The vet actually let me and Todd hold Maya instead, but she did really well with the vet anyway and the only thing he asked us to hold her for was when he was shaving her front leg for the tranquilizer first, and the euthanasia vaccine after.

My own regular vet charges $155 for initial euthanasia, appointment and general cremation - I'm imagining with them for getting her ashes back depending entirely on what I get it back in(as this is what they told me when calling), it would have been anywhere from $80 and up. I didn't mind that but I didn't want to watch Maya suffer all weekend and half the week to get in to see him, which was why I had no issue paying for what I did, where I did.

I also did not use an ER. From my understanding, ER's have slightly higher costs here because they have 'emergency costs' on top of the regular costs. It was not an emergency. I just didn't want my sweetheart suffering.

It's honestly really easy to accept that she is gone and I did what was best for her. The hard part is knowing how empty it feels in the house without my big girl always getting under foot, or how lonely Charlie seems without her company.

Again, thanks guys. I appreciate all the kind words.
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by , Mar 12 4:40 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Time To Say Goodbye...

Maya - In Loving- Memory

Barked: Mon May 30, '11 1:48am PST 
Most the time, it's easy to accept that she's gone and I did what was best for her. A lot of the time, I'm okay. But then there's those moments when I look at Charlie and see that he misses her too and I fall apart again, or the house feels emptier and more lonely and I remember her walking around, following me around and taking so much space up from her size alone...

Sometimes I think of her and I just can't sleep because I miss her too much and sometimes I think I can do this, that I'm okay and I'm moving on, until I break down crying again and wonder how long it'll be before I can stop crying about it. I can talk about it with family or friends without crying... But it's when I'm alone that I feel her presence is gone that much more and that's when I feel the need to cry over her.

I miss her so much. I put so much time and effort into trying to make her better and she did get so much better when I took her out of her old home... But I thought I could give her a year or several more... And it turned out to only be several months... I feel guilty and like I failed her. Like I could have done more for her. If it hadn't been harder to see her in pain, I don't think I could have gone through with it. I don't know...

It's so hard sometimes...

Thank you, everyone..
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Jun 22 10:39 pm

Maya - In Loving- Memory

Barked: Sun May 29, '11 10:03pm PST 
I understand WHY the costs are there, was just upset because I'm not currently in the financial position to have done it. I know it's part of why a lot of pet owners out here just leave the pets to suffer and it saddens me. I don't expect them to lower their prices for me at all, I don't even expect that of my regular vet. And I fully understand there's a HUGE emotional thing involved with it - I'm trying to prepare myself ahead of time because Veterinary is the career I'm going to be applying to Uni for real soon...

It just hurts to have to call around and find different prices to get the one that best fits, for my dog who I have to let go. It makes me feel guilty that I couldn't just say "Okay, let's just make an appointment here." and go. I wanted to take her to my regular vet, but he has no vet techs in on the weekends, so doesn't do anything beyond regular examinations on weekends and I wasn't going to have her suffering all weekend. He was actually far cheaper than anywhere else - always has been. He was around $155 to euthanize and do general cremation, where I don't get the ashes back. I MIGHT have been able to get ashes, or at least one for the ceramic paw prints but I wasn't going to put my wants above Maya's needs. Instead, I went to the holistic vet close by and yes, he was concerned about why I was letting Maya go because he wasn't her regular vet. I explained to him what she's been going through with her hips, knees, and everything me and my previous vet had discussed about her in terms of health, mentality, etc and he accepted that. He did take a quick look at her back legs, but he didn't do any actual full exams or anything.

I love my dogs and I WILL pay whatever fees I have to, to make sure they get what they need. But I DID find $480 ridiculous when I compared it to every other quote I got which was typically around the $200-250 range for Maya's size without me getting ashes or paw print. But that veterinary office is also known for having very high prices. Now, they also have A LOT of staff, so in a way, I understand that, but that said, I wouldn't ever go to them, mainly because they're also well known for being brisk, unkind and adding additional, needless things like extra tests not needed, etc. I've only been there once and the vet techs in that office were very rude. That was also a long time ago though.

The holistic office was VERY friendly, welcoming, warm, open atmosphere. They were very kind, very understanding and they had office pets - a Papillon and two cats. Maya enjoyed saying hello to the other pets on her way in. I actually think it made her that much more comfortable in the reception area.

But thank you Leah, harsh or not, I do have to face the fact it IS a business and sooner or later, I'll have to learn the concepts of that if I want to be a successful veterinarian in the future.

Thanks for the kind words and support everyone.
[notify]
» There has since been 26 posts. Last posting by , Mar 12 4:40 pm

Maya - In Loving- Memory

Barked: Sat May 28, '11 4:22pm PST 
Maya has officially passed over the rainbow bridge. Thank you, everyone, for letting me rant and understanding and being so supportive. I don't think I could have gotten through any of this without the support you have all provided.

She was held and surrounded by those she loved as she passed. She fought it, but it was her time. I stayed with her a while after she passed, too. The hardest part was leaving her there, gone or not.

I understand vet clinics are a business to be treated like one - heck, I'm going to be going to vet school. My issue is with those money-hungry savages that charge people NEEDLESSLY for the extensive, extra costs that don't need to be there. I understand cost of the euthanasia and cost of cremation, and I understand the extra bit for staff and vet, but I don't understand something like $480 for JUST the euthanasia. Although, that vet hospital is known for charging extensive, extra costs and racking peoples bills up needlessly, especially since some people just don't KNOW what their options are. I know one woman who took her dog in to them, they did all sorts of extra tests they didn't need to do, and charged her over $5000 for it and in the end, the dog was PTS. She found out that she only needed a quarter of those tests if at all, afterward when she did her research.

It's sad... It's one of the hardest things I've ever had to go through.

I love you Maya.
[notify]
» There has since been 39 posts. Last posting by , Mar 12 4:40 pm

Maya - In Loving- Memory

Barked: Sat May 28, '11 4:16pm PST 
Thank you, for all the support and those sweet poems. Maya is officially over the rainbow bridge. She went in late this afternoon, and I held her the entire time as she passed. I was holding myself together no problem, until she didn't get up again and I had to leave her behind at the clinic. If I had somewhere to bury her, I'd have taken the body...

R.I.P my sweet girl... I love you so much and you'll be forever missed... You were one of the best behaved dogs a person could ask for and one of the best friends anyone could ever have. Charlie misses you too... See you on the other side.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by , Jun 22 10:39 pm

Maya - In Loving- Memory

Barked: Fri May 27, '11 9:28pm PST 
The appointment isn't for another eighteen and a half hours and it gets harder to cope with it as each hour goes by. Harder and harder. I can't sleep. I've been crying all day on and off. Trying to keep positive for her, but I can't look at her without breaking down. I'm going to miss her so much. Thanks for the support, guys.
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by , Jun 22 10:39 pm

Maya - In Loving- Memory

Barked: Fri May 27, '11 2:41pm PST 
Thanks for understanding guys. Wasn't sure if I was going to get flamed or not. And yes, it's based on the weight of the pet here and whether or not you take the ashes home, and whether or not you take the body home, or get a paw print, etc. But it adds up. The cremation costs alone, even if you don't take them home, are really expensive.

Thanks for the fantastic idea Sq'mey! I didn't even think of that. I have ink/paint here that I could do it with, I'll have to see if I can get some good paper at Michael's art store or something too, though. I was planning to take her to the park nearby before hand too, get a couple nice outdoor photos of her and let her have some time running around before she goes. She loves her off leash walks.
[notify]
» There has since been 48 posts. Last posting by , Mar 12 4:40 pm

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.