GO!

(Page 1 of 86: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dog Health > 10 year old pug and neutering?
Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Sun Jul 20, '14 5:11am PST 
It shouldn't be a problem. A vet that understands his anasthesia drugs will choose the one with the lowest risk for a brachy dog. It's a 15 minute-ish procedure, and 10 years old is just fine to neuter in a small dog. It's practically an outpatient deal. I know of lots of pugs living 15-18 years so he might have a whole lifetime ahead of him, and neutering will help with the aging prostate.

Find a good vet though, I wouldn't take him out to the quick places.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Sun 5:11 am

Dog Health > Please HELP We are DESPERSATE, Wound will NOT Heal on Puppy *PICTURES*
Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Sat Jul 12, '14 12:25pm PST 
good thing you were using iodine on it then. poor baby! just thank goodness it wasn't on a leg. hughughughug hopefully you can get all the bad tissues out and get baconto healing
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jul 12 3:41 pm

Grooming > Recommend a everyday brush?

Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Fri Jul 11, '14 6:30am PST 
Just get a slicker brush. That's the one that looks like a bunch of blunted metal pins poked through a rubber mat. Slicker brushes pick up the hair that's already loose, whereas the furminator actively shaves the undercoat hairs with a blade at the base of the tines.

Slicker brushes are your basic everyday brush for long haired dogs. Short haired dogs, just use a silicon bristle mitt. There is a brand called "purebred" that makes the type of mitt you need.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jul 11 6:30 am

Raw Food Diet > Premium meat kibble vs homecooked vegetarian diet

Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Mon Jun 30, '14 7:02am PST 
explain to them that there is no biological reason for dogs to be vegetarian. Vegetarianism is a spiritual diet. You become vegetarian because you feel or believe that it is right for you personally. that's what a spiritual issue is.

You cannot expect dogs to follow or even understand your spirituality, sorry. they just aren't programmed to think like humans. if you have a dog, you have a responsibility to understand that though they eat more veggies than their ancestors they are still carnivores, in fact a subspecies of gray wolf, the only large carnivore we have ever domesticated.

If you can't handle that and give a dog what it's body mind and spirit craves (in other words, meat protein, not milk, not egg, but actual meat) go buy rabbits. Rabbits make very god pets that do not require the feeding of anything that used to have a face.

Dogs need the kind of diet that humans used to have back when we were hunter-gatherers. Humans need that kind of diet too, but we discovered agriculture, which is what made vegetarianism even feasible. Dogs need food pretty much in this order from most amounts to least: meat and/or insects, eggs, bone, veggies, nuts, fats, fruit, starches, cultured milk product(hard cheese or yogurt). You can stop safely after bone, and that works for prey model.

just, I'm sorry, but forcing your spiritual diet choice on an animal that can't understand is just wrong.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Jul 3 9:47 am

Food & Nutrition > Lying down to eat...should I be concerned?

Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Mon Jun 30, '14 6:09am PST 
completely normal to be laying down to eat. Think about how a dog eats a bone. They lay down and put it between their paws. Same with the dog food bowl. It's like us sitting down to eat, or reclinging on the sofa to eat. Only for dogs, it's a more natural position to eat in because it aligns thei stomach and their esophagus more naturally than bending the head down to the floor.

If it really concerns you that he is laying down to eat, try using an elevated food bowl. They are theoretically better for large dogs anyway, especially when it comes to the possibility of bloat. Elevated food bowls are reccomended for any dog over 40 lbs.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Jul 10 7:45 pm

Food & Nutrition > free feeding
Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Wed Jun 25, '14 2:54am PST 
but it never lasts that long. They only get 1/3 cup per day. They have very small tummies.

Now, I have a friend that used to have a pekinese that had the weirdest self regulating habits. 1 cup food left on the floor would last her for up to a week. The dog just didn't like eating. She was never too skinny, she just didn't need too much.

My two suck down their food as soon as I fill the bowls, and were I to keep food down they would quickly make themselves very fat indeed. They just will not self regulate, and Tagget steals out of Foxxy's bowl given half the chane. He bullies her out of her place if we don't watch him. It would just be a very bad situation.

I learned about not free-feeding the pets from my parents who free-fed the cat until she was 20 lbs and bulemic. When I complained, because the cat would always find my things to yak on, they made it my chore to feed the cat 2 times per day. Free feeding is a bad idea for housepets.

We do offer water 24/7 as much as they can drink
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Wed 1:43 pm

Dog Health > Dog drank water with a spider in it?

Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Tue Jun 10, '14 10:15am PST 
Dogs drink out of lakes. That's pretty much a fish toilet and mass grave. they also drink out of mud puddles. A little spider in the water bowl is no problem.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jun 10 10:15 am

Dog Health > Dogs Ear Flipped Backwards?

Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Tue Jun 10, '14 10:02am PST 
papillions, chihuahuas and german shepherds are all born with floppy ears. When they start to stand up, sometimes they will flip backwards. It's all part of the muscles and skin and cartilage building up.

Four weeks old is the right time for puppy's ears to start standing on their own. You will find that the ears do this back and forth thing all the time untill around 20 weeks.

After that, you may see a little trouble with the ears while they are teething, but after the adult teeth come in, the ears should be normal. You can help by keeping the ear fringes trimmed, but messing with the ears can lead to breaking the cartilage and then it will button over for life. Just enjoy the goofy ears stage. If you want, it might help to make a photo book by taking pics every day for the next few months so you can get to understand how you puppy is growing day to day.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jun 10 10:02 am

Dogs and a Clean Home > Dogs always ripping stuffing from toys! Help?

Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Wed May 21, '14 12:58am PST 
stuffing free toys are the way to go. Stuffys are not for solo play with an eviscerator. It's a know your dog situation. You can buy stuffing free cloth toys, but the easiest thing to do is buy the strips of polar fleece from the fabric store and braid them with knots on the end. Polar fleece is amazingly resistant to teeth.

if you are really up to it, you can make the fleece strips into tubes by sewing the lengthwise edges together and stick squeakers into them before you knot them up. You can buy whole packages of squeakers at a craft store. That way when your dog kills the squeaker, you just unknot it and change it out.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Jun 21 5:54 am

Small Dogs > My pomeranian has become aggressive, help?
Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Tue May 20, '14 7:44pm PST 
pomeranians are sled dogs. That's their breed background, and that temperament has not left them. You should treat your pom like you would treat a husky. Hive your dog at least 45 minutes to jog, run, or walk, and ample space to flat out run at least once a day for 10 minutes.

The other thing you can do is give the dog something to do. Since poms are descended from northern spitzes, they're designed to pull. Find or make a carting harness and a size appropriate cart or sledge. Most dogs love helping you with yard work with a little cart that carriess the dandelions you are pulling out of the grass or pulling a tiny cart with a gallon of water. (gallon water weighs 8lb which is a good weight for a 6lb dog to pull) I would say athat tehre may be vests you can get for a tiny dog, but what would you keep in them besides nearly weightless poo bags?

There is also a sport for dogs called weight pulling. some poms LOVE this sport.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , May 20 7:44 pm

(Page 1 of 86: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.