GO!

(Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  

Get Well Soon > Back surgery for slipped prolapsed disc
Summer

It's not a walk,- it's a- sniffathon!!

Barked: Wed Sep 21, '11 4:32am PST 
Hi All!!!
I haven't checked in here, I've been away.

Glad to see some progress for Bosley!! WOW!! I'll bet he made you very happy to see him taking a few steps. That's great.

Keep us posted, I'm anxious to hear how he is doing after the weekend!

We are moving in about 2-3 weeks, to a house we just built. I can NOT wait because it will mean a lot less steps getting in and out of the house, and so less worry for Summer's back. Right now, between the deck and the doorway, there are about 10 steps to get in and out. In the new house, only 2 steps, that's it. I never realized how difficult stairs were until my girls became older!!!

Let us know how Bosley is doing. I am hoping he is walking more and more each day!

Hi Scooter!

wave
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Nov 15 1:22 pm

Raw Food Diet > Confused after being back from vets
Summer

Barked: Mon Sep 19, '11 5:21pm PST 
EXACT same thing happened to me. Summer injured her back and wouldn't do stairs, wouldn't jump off the bed or get up on it, etc. So, off we went to the Vet. They did an x-ray. He came back to me asking what she ate. She had just had dinner of Hare-Today grind and the bones were obvious on the x-ray. I told him I feed raw. He still didn't get it. I told him it was likely bone he was seeing. He still didn't get it. He sent the x-ray to a board certified radiologist because he didn't see anything wrong with her back. When we got the results from the radiologist, he had hand written a note on the bottom of the consult letter that said "Bones in the stomach? Could this be?" The radiologist wrote in her report "we are seeing an increase in raw feeding, so bones and bone fragments in the stomach are not unusual at all anymore, unfortunately". I enjoyed a good laugh at that one. snoopy
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Reagan, Sep 20 8:02 am

Summer

Barked: Wed Sep 14, '11 6:42pm PST 
Hi Bosley and Scooter wave

I am so glad to hear that Bosley is doing a little better.....and the poop news is great!!! (maybe not so great in the house...)

Did the Vet say why his legs are so stiff and fully extended? Is that normal Scooter? Does he have feeling in them, or is that to come with progress and time? I am glad you are getting him outside and getting him moving a little. You are doing such a great job with him, he is very lucky.

My girls are all like Scooter, they like their crates!!!They think of them as their beds and their "place" to go relax. I never close the doors, they just go in and out freely. Has he ever been crated? Scooter gave good advice about the crate. It should be only big enough for him, not big enough for him to have two bedrooms in it!! I made that mistake with Summer when I first got her. I had a HUGE crate and I thought that I was just the best Mom around, giving her a big bed to be safe in. Well, she used one side to pee in, and the other side to sleep in!!shrug

I am looking forward to updates and reading his progress. I am sure he is VERY happy to be home. Does he sleep near you? I'll bet he was lonely at night while at the vet, another reason he will be better at home.

Like two idiots, we took the girls, including Summer, out for a walk last evening. Summer was feeling much better, acting spry, so we thought, why not go for a slow, short walk. Well, even just out to the pine grove and back was too much. Today, I feel like she was sore or something. She is happy and acting well, but she will not even try to go up or down even one step. It was a challenge keeping her from stairs for the past two days since she was better, but now I feel like that was very irresponsible of us to take her on a walk. Almost 3 weeks ago the Vet said to rest her for two weeks, and we honestly didn't go far, but it was too much. She already seems better to me, but no more walkies for awhile.

Give Bosley and Scooter big hugs from us, but don't squeeze Bosley too tight. Keep us posted and I will check this often to hear of some improvement. I'll bet you by the weekend he will be moving those back legs!!
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by , Nov 15 1:22 pm

Summer

Barked: Tue Sep 13, '11 5:24pm PST 
I know it must be overwhelming, but hang in there. He will get better each day. He knows you love him, and are doing the best that you can.

What is he eating? Maybe give him some pure canned pumpkin to help move things along, the extra fiber should help him "go".

Do you have to carry him in and out? Can he stand or walk on his own? I'm curious because I know nothing about the post-surgical care.

Keep smiling, and know it should be uphill from here!!!
[notify]
» There has since been 21 posts. Last posting by , Nov 15 1:22 pm

Summer

Barked: Tue Sep 13, '11 4:11pm PST 
I am so glad Bosley is home and doing a bit better. I'm sorry you got peed onred face.
He will do much better now that he is home with you, they always do. What are physio exercises? I'll have to look that one up.

Thanks so much to you and Scooter for your advice and help with Summer. She was never on complete "crate rest" and we were just told to carry her up or down stairs, and to not let her do too much. That's it. She is much better and it is getting harder for her to take it easy when she feels good and wants to run and play! Thanks for the prices. I think if this happens again, I am going to skip the x-ray and go right to the CT scan. I want to know what is going on, if anything. Telling me "I don't see anything, but let's assume it's her discs since she is a beagle" is not good enough for me. I want to know the extent of things, and see what I can do about it. But, for now, she is doing well.

Please keep us posted on Bosley, I hope he gets better quick! Is he on any pain meds?
[notify]
» There has since been 23 posts. Last posting by , Nov 15 1:22 pm

Summer

Barked: Fri Sep 9, '11 12:29pm PST 
Thanks Scooter!!!
We went in because she seemed "off" and not wanting to do stairs or jump up at all. They did an x-ray, and said it was "unremarkable" and then told me the exact same thing you just said. That you often can not see herniations or disc bulges on x-ray. So, we are resting her and hoping she improves. So far, no improvement. I am think of getting the myelogram done, just to know exactly what we are dealing with. Do you know, by chane, an estimate of what it would cost?

Have we heard from Bosley today? I am hoping and praying he is improved and doing better.
[notify]
» There has since been 30 posts. Last posting by , Nov 15 1:22 pm

Summer

Barked: Fri Sep 9, '11 9:38am PST 
I hope all is better today, and you get to see some improvement on your visit!!

Scooter gave you some great advice, and also a success story to give you hope. Hearing from someone who has been through it is invaluable.

My beagle Summer has a herniated disc as of about 2 weeks ago. She was reluctant to do stairs or get on the bed or couch. So I brought her to the Vet and he said the x-rays are not revealing but it is probably a minor disc herniation, and to just rest her and keep an eye on her. Well, I see no improvemnt. No worsening, but no improvement. I hope we don't have to do surgery.

Please let us know how it goes today when you go see Bosley, I'll be thinking of you. When does he come home?
[notify]
» There has since been 33 posts. Last posting by , Nov 15 1:22 pm

Senior Dogs > Bed wetting?

Summer

Barked: Sat Jul 16, '11 8:08am PST 
Summer is incontinent at times while sleeping. She just leaks a little, or a lot, it depends. The one thing I read that has been very helpful, is to eliminate grains altogether. For some reason, grains aggravate the problem. I have a link somewhere that I will dig up and send you.

Summer is raw fed, but we gave her treats with grains. When I changed to grain free treats, it almost stopped the inconinence. Try a grain free food and grain free treats, see how it goes. Summer has good days and bad days. On her bad days she wears her pee-keeper all the time in the house.

Good luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Wylie the Wonder Dog - RIP, Jul 20 5:26 pm

Dogster Lifestyle, News & Entertainment > Anyone's dogs met anyone famous?

Summer

Barked: Tue Jun 28, '11 6:14pm PST 
Summer and I met Tom Brady, New England Patriot's quarterback.We were walking up the dock from the boat one morning in Marina Bay, Quincy, and Tom was out jogging. We knew he lived at Marina Bay, but had never seen him the entire time we had the boat at that marina.

Lucky morning for us girls!!!! I swear Summer pranced back down to the boat after her pee!!!!!
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Henry, Jul 10 10:53 am

Senior Dogs > Pee Keeper for incontinence
Summer

Barked: Sun Jun 5, '11 5:07am PST 
I did buy them, and they work great!!! Summer can not get them off, they stay in place, and they are lightweight and very comfortable looking for her. I am very happy with them. I bought some panty liners and some light days maxi pads made for women to line them, and it works. She wears them all the time in the house, and doesn't mind at all.

I would highly recommend them. Let me know what you think!!!
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Harley & Rubi, Sep 1 9:17 am

(Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.