Postings by Daisy Mae

GO!

(Page 1 of 12: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > For everyone who lost their furkid(s)
Daisy Mae

water=heaven!

Barked: Mon Jan 16, '12 7:41am PST 
They're waiting for you:

ht tp://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=332713633416213&set=a.149454471 742131.21909.148940208460224&type=1&theater
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by TYLER, Jan 16 2:08 pm

Dog Health > heat help!
Daisy Mae

water=heaven!

Barked: Sat Jul 23, '11 9:44pm PST 
I live in Saunaland (AKA Florida) with a friend & her 4 bullmastiffs, another "shovelface" breed. We don't have AC either, but the dogs have all grown up without it & have adjusted. They too pant all day, but we hose them down; & the 15 month old will slop around in a kiddie pool. Getting their feet & armpits(?)wet seem to help the most. They then come in & lay in front of the fan. Our water here doesn't get really cold from the faucet, like the water in northern states (I used to live in Michigan)so it doesn't shock them; but it's enough to cool them down. It's kind of a shame that bullmstiffs sink like rocks in water, because we're 10 minutes away from the ocean. They don't like it..I love the ice in front of the fan idea. How do you keep them from eating the ice or drinking the ice water? When these guys are hot they get sick if they drink really cold water or eat ice cubes.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Snickers, Jul 24 12:59 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > AKC & Therapy Dogs

Daisy Mae

water=heaven!

Barked: Sat Jul 23, '11 9:27pm PST 
I was reading an article in the AKC Gazette & thought I would pass this on...AKC is now offering a "title" to all AKC dogs who happen to also be therapy dogs. The dog can either be a registered AKC purebred, or registered Canine Partner or Alternative Listing. The dog must have 50 hours of therapy work, that can be documented, with an organization that has partnered with AKC. There's a link on AKC site to view the therapy organizations; also an application for title. I'm pleased that AKC has finally chosen to recognize the dogs that work for hugs, & they don't have to be "purebred" dogs. My friend, who has 3 registered therapy dogs,who also happen to be AKC registered bullmastiffs, says a good dog has letters on both side of their name. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Daisy Mae, Jul 23 9:27 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > I got a card in the mail.

Daisy Mae

water=heaven!

Barked: Thu Jun 9, '11 8:41pm PST 
When my 16 yr old cat was p.t.s., we got a card from the emergency clinic about 6 weeks after she was gone. She was my best friend; she's been gone for 20+ years & I still think of her every day. When I got that card, I just broke down all over again. It was really thoughtful of them to send it, but I was just at the point where I was recovering. I still have the card, & I come across it every once in awhile. It still hurts & I cry a little.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , Jun 29 2:34 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Dedee

Daisy Mae

water=heaven!

Barked: Sat Jun 4, '11 2:12pm PST 
So the lady I live with loves bullmastiffs. She had 5, until today. Her oldest, Ch. Shadow of Bandog Deedee, had to be pts due to a large mass in her abdomen. Deedee was 10 1/2 yrs old; that's a good long life for a bullmastiff. She was a holy terror in her younger years; very dog aggressive, except for her "pack" at home. She had days where she was goofy & silly, & days where she'd roar at you if you looked at her. She's always been like that. When she was in the conformation ring, Deedee's motto was "If you can't beat 'em, eat 'em". She got her championship at 15 months old.
I absoltuely loved that dog. I didn't know her in her younger days, where she could do some serious damage to anything she wanted. I've only known her for about 3 years. She was glorious; she was amazing. She reminded me of a retired weight lifter; a little flabby and a lot of power.
Her owner is across the state, attending the funeral of one of her best friends (also co-owner of her youngest dog). So I had the honor of taking Deedee in and helping her along the way to the rainbow bridge. It hurts so bad.
I just hope that when I get to heaven Deedee will be there to meet me too, even tho she wasn't my dog. I'm gonna miss her every day.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Foxy, Jun 7 9:22 am

Dog Health > Canine Diabetes
Daisy Mae

water=heaven!

Barked: Wed May 18, '11 9:14pm PST 
I got blessed with taking care of a friend's diabetic dog this week. She's coming home tomorrow, thank goodness; I must be doing something wrong because I can't seem to keep this dog on track. Her glucose levels are going waaayyy wild; from 50 to 450. I just checked her because she was pretty lethargic; she's in the low 500's. I called her owner but it's pretty late, & I think she's asleep. No answer. I left a message but I'm pretty worried about the dog. I don't understand this disease well enough to make an informed decision on treatment; I know when her levels are too high she can go into a coma; when they're too low she can seizure. I know this is very high for her, but she's been higher than this & survived. I'd like to do the right thing, but diabetes is kind of an unusual illness & I don't think I'd trust the emergency vet on this one. Anyone on who's had extensive experience with this kind of thing?
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Leah, CGC, May 19 9:00 am

Behavior & Training > What is it with the tortoise, Sam?

Daisy Mae

water=heaven!

Barked: Wed Apr 13, '11 8:24am PST 
We used to have eastern painted turtles. They were used to taking food from our hands, although we had to be careful that they didn't connect with our fingers. So pretty much anything that moved in front of them was at least "tasted". The kids would occasionally take them out and let them crawl on the floor; the dog could NOT leave them alone. It only took a couple of turtle-hanging-off-the-lips scenarios to teach the dog to look not touch. If he got too close the turtles would hiss at him; he got the message real quick.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Daisy Mae, Apr 13 8:24 am

Dog Health > Bone issues (warning: long)

Daisy Mae

water=heaven!

Barked: Wed Apr 13, '11 8:08am PST 
What a beautiful girl Reyna has turned out to be! Your photos are encouraging; maybe Ruby is just a late bloomer, since she's already 13 months and still straight. We've kept in touch with the breeder, who has kept in touch with all of the littermates. One of the females is a friend of ours; Lola has a beautiful body. So we'll keep our fingers crossed. In the meantime, Ruby is such a wonderful girl personality wise that she's going to follow in the footsteps of the other dogs & is in training for therapy work. We're also working on getting her some Rally classes, maybe go on to agility. I know; bullmastiffs aren't the fastest critters in the world, but she's pretty quick. Thanks again for your imput.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Daisy Mae, Apr 13 8:08 am

Senior Dogs > Dealing with the Realization they are Slowing Down

Daisy Mae

water=heaven!

Barked: Tue Apr 12, '11 8:47am PST 
I'm currently living with 5 bullmastiffs. I met them 3 years ago, left for a year & have been with them ever since. When I first met them, Deedee was 7, her nickname was "Pycho bitch from Hell". She had some serious issues when she was a puppy that seemed to scar her & she was very very grumpy; also the alpha in the pack. Now, she has her bad days, but she's a lot more mellow. She's still pretty much on permanent house arrest, but she actually wags her tail & grooms the youngest pup on good days. On bad days she still yells at anydog who comes close to her. Here's the kicker; 3 years ago she ran like crazy to chase birds, squirrels, etc. She dug holes, tried to jump on the fence & yell at the barn cats, & generally had a great time being the mean alpha. (That position has now gone to Bella, the 6 yr old, who rules fairly) The other day I was talking to & petting Deedee; she decided to rub her nose & lips on my leg, which she does when she's really happy. Her front legs collapsed, & she went down on her chin & chest. She wasn't hurt, but really upset. So was I. The realization came that she's probably close to the end of her life, bullmastiffs are not long lived. It hurts to look at her, because she's really reather pleasant to be around now, but we don't know how long that will be. She's an awesome dog, considering what she went thru 9 years ago, and we now watch her every day. I've decided I'm just going to love her & spend as much time with her as I can, because I don't know how long we have together.
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Missy , Apr 28 9:38 am

Dog Health > Bone issues (warning: long)
Daisy Mae

water=heaven!

Barked: Tue Apr 12, '11 8:32am PST 
Bam-Bam thanks for your response. I was hoping you would see this post. This pup was looking very good @ 8 weeks; she was given to my friend because she was considered very good show quality. The co owner/breeder keeps telling my friend the pup is getting too much exercise, she should have been confined & not allowed to run & play at earlier stages of development. I think that's bull. All puppies need to exercise, no matter what breed they are. The pup is on pretty high quality feed, so I don't think that's the issue. The chiro idea is great; now all I have to do is figure out a way to suggest it to my friend without her thinking I'm too pushy. She knows I love these dogs & I'm only thinking of their welfare, but she's a little sensitive about their care.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Daisy Mae, Apr 13 8:08 am

(Page 1 of 12: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.