Postings by Bandit

GO!

(Page 1 of 23: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > Green tripe - cooked?
Bandit

i love the beach

Barked: Sat Mar 9, '13 5:43am PST 
Yeah - I was wondering about the stink.
I'll just give it away. It's only 5lbs.

Bullie - I'm in Toronto (Canada). Its yours if you're local. smile

Max - thanks. Husband likes to overfeed, poos are better the last couple of days on less meat. Also, I'll cut the ground pork with chicken breast to reduce the fat % a bit.

We do pumpkin occasionally - thanks for the reminder to add that in.

It is what it is. He wore me down. I couldn't stand watching him treat the dogs like they were walking diseases, and not allowing my 9 month old to interact much with them. As long as my allergy dog gets better and stays off the steroids, I'm happy to do homecooked (even though I do believe raw is best).
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Bandit, Mar 9 5:43 am

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > Green tripe - cooked?
Bandit

i love the beach

Barked: Wed Mar 6, '13 7:34am PST 
Hi!
I've been feeding my dogs raw for 9 months. Long story short, my husband - the germaphobe - can not deal with the raw diet and so we are putting them on a homecooked diet instead. I have one allergy (contact environmental) dog and the other is very healthy. I am hoping the homecooked diet helps my allergy dog, as the raw was.

The decision to switch was abrupt, and I had just ordered 5lb of green tripe and 5 lbs of beef offal. I can cook the offal and throw it in the mix, but can I cook the tripe?

Has anyone ever fed cooked tripe?

Also, another question. My dogs did well with a higher bone/meat ratio than the 10% standard (they were getting more like 30-40% and had good solid poops). On cooked their poops are soft, almost runny. Any advice on what may be causing this? To start, we've fed them chicken breast and veggies (75%/25%) and ground pork/brisket blend with veggies (again 75%/25%). They also get kefir, kelp, and ground eggshells.

Thanks so much!
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Bandit, Mar 9 5:43 am

Dog Health > Atopica

Bandit

i love the beach

Barked: Tue Apr 3, '12 6:12am PST 
Hi Joey!

We only wear the clothing indoors, once we're outside with loads of distractions, the itching calms down a bit. Plus, I'm weird about wanting to "air him out", so I don't feel good about him being dressed 24/7!

I think the clothing just felt good on the skin, he wouldn't even really try to scratch. It allowed his arm pits to heal, and I'm sure the snugness had a calming effect for sure. We didn't use the Thundershirt, just regular baby tees and doggie sweaters. He itches mostly on his neck, shoulders, and arm pits, but has also started licking his legs, paws, and groin area. Hence the full body jumper!

Give it a shot, its cheap enough (skip the doggie clothing for now if you can and just buy baby/kids tshirts) that if it doesn't work out, its not a huge waste of money. And it may very well give him a bit of relief for now.

puppy
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by joey, Apr 3 6:50 pm

Dog Health > Atopica

Bandit

i love the beach

Barked: Fri Mar 30, '12 6:37pm PST 
Our old vet had suggested Atopica for Bandit. He has been getting Vanectyl-P whenever he flares up, which is multiple times between the May - October season. My old vet thought contact allergies (environmental), which explained the spring/summer flare ups. My new vet agrees with this, but wants to treat Bandit holistically. My old vet is the only one who is interested in continuously pumping drugs, steroids, and antibiotics into Bandit's system. We made the switch to the holistic vet after reading some very troubling information online about Atopica. My husband said no way!
Bandit has pretty much all the same symptoms as you minus the digestive ones (no diarrhea, etc) and he doesn't make himself bleed much. We also have done the cone thing, and by the way CLOTHING really helps! Like t-shirts, sweaters, whatever to cover up some of the skin. Whenever Bandit starts itching, we put a baby tee on! *LOL* Works instantly. Since we're about to enter his worst season and no drug plan in mind, I'm getting him a custom made jumper which should cover 80% of his body. A nice cotton pj for the summer! *LOL*

We also can't bathe him due to his sensitive skin. The holistic vet thinks this is all related to his immune system being comprised after 3 years of vaccinations, steroids, antibiotics, and Revolution (fleas).
So we've opted for the detox route, which means we're in for a rough summer, but hopefully, this will provide a long term resolution to his skin problems without pumping more toxins into his system.

I'm also told better quality food will help deter fleas, etc. So all natural home cooked or RAW might be something you need to seriously consider. Our new vet wants Bandit on RAW as a major component of his treatment, although she accepts homecooked as well.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by joey, Apr 3 6:50 pm

Dog Health > All natural flea repellents/combattants? First time off Revolution...

Bandit

i love the beach

Barked: Fri Mar 30, '12 10:53am PST 
Thanks for your posts Lucille and Charlie. I really don't know much about heartworm, and have not had to worry until now, since both dogs were on a preventative. I assume that the new vet was referring to Canadian stats. Not that mosquitoes don't travel themselves! laugh out loud

This is all good info to know. Our summers do get hot, above 57deg, and its not like heartworm is unheard of around here. I'm putting my faith in this vet that she can provide long term resolution for Bandit's recurring dermatitis, but I do have my own reservations about taking him off all these preventatives (including vaccinations). For me, this means I have to research and educate myself on how to best protect my dogs if we're going to avoid conventional treatments. On the plus side, my new vet is actually with a holistic/conventional clinic, so they would be open to using non-holistic methods if required. Its just that right now, her - and our - focus is on "detoxing" Bandit.

All input is greatly appreciated! big grin
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Mozart, Mar 31 7:34 am

Dog Health > All natural flea repellents/combattants? First time off Revolution...
Bandit

i love the beach

Barked: Fri Mar 30, '12 5:44am PST 
oh also, Joey, I asked the vet about the risk of heartworm (one of the things I liked about Revolution was the heartworm preventative) and she told me that last year there was a 0.13% heartworm rate among canines, so she said it didn't make sense to compromise our dogs health for such a tiny risk. Something to look into! smile
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Mozart, Mar 31 7:34 am

Bandit

i love the beach

Barked: Fri Mar 30, '12 5:41am PST 
Wow! Thanks for all the feedback!

I'll have to check out the links above. I do have 2 recipes for collars/bandanas to wear so I'll be giving those a shot. I had heard about the garlic as well, but wasn't sure due to all the controversy around feeding garlic. Thanks for that link as well! smile

My vet did say that IF we got an infestation, she would treat them with Advantage, but she seems strongly against Revolution - basically, for all the reasons Miss Lily stated. My vet said there are THOUSANDS of documented cases where serious health issues arose from using Revolution. I didn't know about the increased itchiness and hives, but that would make sense given Bandit's horrible itchies during flea season (without ever having had flea bites).

We've actually switched to a 50/50 homecooked diet while we finish off his kibble (CaniSource), and ultimately my vet wants us on RAW - my husband is almost there. (I've been waiting for something to finally click with him for like 2 years!)

So I'm hoping this will help ward off fleas too. wink

Thanks for the tip on being strict with the preventatives, my PLAN is to be very on top of things - hopefully even when I'm drowning in baby screams and diapers! eek
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Mozart, Mar 31 7:34 am

Raw Food Diet > Newbie thread: Everything you need to know about proteins and cuts!

Bandit

i love the beach

Barked: Wed Mar 28, '12 5:47am PST 
What a great thread! Thank you so much!!cheer

This is tremendously helpful as we are transitioning to an all fresh food diet for Bandit, and his vet has recommended we go RAW once we are comfortable doing so (we're finishing off his kibble with a mix of homecooked for now). She also insists we buy organic meats only for the dogs, so I need to find something wallet friendly. Knowing which cuts are safe and good for them will help a long way in finding some bargains!

Thanks again!
[notify]
» There has since been 44 posts. Last posting by Jasper, Sep 10 12:56 am

Bandit

i love the beach

Barked: Wed Mar 28, '12 5:36am PST 
After combatting skin problems for 3 years, we've decided to switch over to a holistic vet for Bandit.
We've started detoxing his body, and we're not to do any vaccinations or flea treatments on him. We are doing the same with Tia.

I'm highly paranoid about fleas. Every year I have a flea scare at least once during the season, and its always for nothing. This was with them being on Revolution.

Any suggestions or experiences with homemade, natural flea treatments? The vet gave me an essential oil collar recipe, and I know of a couple of sprays too, but any tips on avoiding a flea infestation would be greatly appreciated! big grin

On top of starting this detox right at the beginning of both allergy and flea season, I'm due in 2 months so have the little one to worry about too!

My timing is awesome. way to go
[notify]
» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by Mozart, Mar 31 7:34 am

Food & Nutrition > what do you and your dog share?
Bandit

i love the beach

Barked: Sat Sep 17, '11 6:49am PST 
Well, Tia and Bandit always get the last piece of whatever meat we have for dinner.

They get our crust from our pizza, a carrot from our veggies, usually the last bite from a banana, or whatever fruit we're eating.

I guess they basically get the last bite of whatever we're eating (that they can have also) at the very end. It's cute to watch my husband clean off all the seasoning or sauce from a piece of something before handing it over to the dogs! *LOL*

You guys have ALMOST inspired me to try their treats for a change....
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Sep 28 2:13 am

(Page 1 of 23: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.