Postings by Dora CGC

GO!

(Page 1 of 67: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Service & Therapy Dogs > Service Dog handler removed from Farmers Market
Dora CGC

Wag your tail- and the world- wags back

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 2:46pm PST 
I guess only the people envolved will know all the facts. I still feel that the Market people were way out of line. How horrible to be mocked like that in public.

I am not sure if she put the dog down that would have been the end of it. Another handler I believe is on here said they have had trouble there, in fact they had someone grab his wifes dogs harness.

So I think there is more to this then we see. It sounds like she has an issue with dogs at the market no matter what. It says in a article that they banned pets just a month ago and Marti the Manager was the main reason.

I wont judge the lady with the dog on the video as I all I saw was a quiet dog and lady. However the other two were so rude and mean.

I do agree that the dog in a bag is going to not be taken as seriously as one on the ground.
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Beth, Jan 15 9:43 am

Dora CGC

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 11:13am PST 
Scooter I understand where you are coming from as that is how Dora alerts as well and she is like 10 inches tall and 10lbs. However I do not think she or anyone deserves to be treated like she was. The two employees are scary and should be dealt with.
I do not think it was the place of the lady to decide if the handler was disabled or not nor to mock her. My thing is did the manager really have the legal right to have then removed from the market?
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Beth, Jan 15 9:43 am

Dora CGC

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 10:23am PST 
I guess this lady has a reputation
http://voices.yahoo.com/rudely-running-our-private-publi c-market-8425279.html
this is from may.
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by Beth, Jan 15 9:43 am

Dora CGC

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 9:35am PST 
I know some of you have seen this as I saw you post on the Utube. I think it will be interesting to see what comes of this. I always have Dora walk and she alerts to me fine from there however on a couple occasions I have her ride on my walker it in a really crowded place. I wonder what is the law on having the dog off the ground? Not just the opinions posted on the video site but the real law. Does anyone know? I think what upset me most was the rudness and bullying of the two employees.
video
[notify]
» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by Beth, Jan 15 9:43 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Large breed for SD work

Dora CGC

Barked: Fri Oct 5, '12 10:19am PST 
Well here is one of the dogs at the top of my list.
Bouviers. Here is why
1- they are not quite a giant breed but larger then most large breeds. 75-125 lbs I believe. I would need a dog about this size.
2-They were bred to work, cart pulling, herding and I have seen them do freestyle dance and agility.
3-They are built like a bus, I like thier stockiness
4- fairly easy to maintain coat, infact feels kind of like Dora's
5-Has that Norwich look but waaaayyy bigger, not tail to step on and upright ears.
6- very devoted and docile-I know several who have been therapy dogs.

With that said I have heard they can b quardy although the ones I have known and cared for were seathearts and loved everyone. Both were from good breeders and well socialized.

Others on my list but would not be as much for mobility are Standard Poodle, Golden retriever, possibly greyhound.

i would get a larger breed next time to help more with physical stuff.
Although 10 lb Dora is able to help undress me. She will even drag over my shoes and get them up to me. She saves me a lot of bending over but larger would be better for next time.

Another breed I love but would not be large enough for me for balancing is a Dobie. I was a vet tech and worked at shelters for over 20 years so I have been around a lot of breeds. I think there are many out there that will work, just depends on where you get them and what you need them for.
[notify]
» There has since been 22 posts. Last posting by Mali, Nov 1 2:36 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > New to service dogs....
Dora CGC

Barked: Mon Oct 1, '12 5:34pm PST 
Welcome Toby, I cannot believe it. I wrote a nice long response and then lost it. Unfortunatly I am too wiped out to do it again. I will see if others chime in. I will check back in the morning and mayybe I can help fill in some spots.
Brenda
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Abrams Tank SDiT, Oct 3 10:24 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Dora in the company newsletter

Dora CGC

Barked: Mon Oct 1, '12 7:08am PST 
Hi folks, as some of you know we travel all over the US for my Hubby's job. He surveys for Natural Gas leaks. Well the company puts out a newsletter each month and this month they did a story on Dora.
Here is the Article:

Meet Dora, the amazing gas dog. Dora belongs to traveling Technician Dan & his wife
Brenda. Dora is a three and a half year old Norwich Terrier that they
have had since she was four months old.

We know that service dogs are trained to help sight impaired people. Service dogs
are also trained with smells, as in the case of cadaver or narcotics dogs.
Dora has scent related training in her role as Brenda’s medical alert service dog. In
her spare time, while waiting on Dan, Brenda trained Dora to find gas leaks with
positive treat reinforcement. It only took Dora a couple of 15-minute training sessions
to get the idea. Dora has found 10-15 leaks and can always find the highest
percentage leaks. Southern Cross equipment always verifies her discoveries.

Dora’s adventures of the life of a Southern Cross traveler are chronicled on her own
website at http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1028632#diary.

Norwich Terriers are trainable, but they are more likely to respond to a strong-willed
teacher who keeps the commands clear and upbeat. They crave companionship and
togetherness. Left alone for too long, whether indoors or in the yard, they can become
bored, restless and out of sorts.

Breeders in turn-of-the-century England developed a small rat-catching, fox-chasing
terrier called the Norwich Terrier. For several decades, this diverse breed had both hanging ears and pricked ears, not to mention
a variety of colors and coats. In 1964, the English Kennel Club categorized the hanging-ear variety as the Norfolk Terrier and the
prick-ear variety as the Norwich Terrier.
Norwich Terriers have small, sturdy frames covered in flat, wiry coats that come in red, wheaten, grizzle and black & tan. Their
slightly rounded heads have dark eyes, a fox-like muzzle and erect ears. They have sturdy necks, short backs, strong little legs
and medium-length tails that are carried high. Overall, Norwich Terriers have a tough but outgoing look.

Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), service dogs are allowed anywhere the public is. This includes restaurants,
stores, movies, taxis and hospitals.
Service dogs can guide people, pick up items, alert to sounds, help with balance, alert to oncoming seizures, diabetic shock,
chemical sensitivities, panic attacks, bipolar mood swings, flashbacks, etc., which enables their owners to live a more normal life
with their help. And they can evidently find gas leaks too!
We enjoyed meeting Dora this month when her humans came into HQ for reassignment.

Oh and they had a nice picture of her on the page as well.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Chief Majestix the Impeccable , Oct 3 8:30 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > True Alerts.

Dora CGC

Barked: Sat Aug 18, '12 3:19am PST 
mmm, I guess I have not come across this in person yet. On the internet I am not there to see what people call alerts so I cannot not honestly say they are real or not. I have only hung out with several SD's in the past and they seem to be real.
I used to check my blood sugar and or blood pressure/heart rate when Dora alerted but after her almost always being correct I very rairly do it now.
Basically if she is alerting and I need to eat I do and if not it usually means a attack is coming or the blood pressure drop, then I just make sure to sit for a while or even get on the ground,
Just last week we were out to breakfast with friends. I went to the restroom. While in there Dora did an alert. Well I did not want to set on the bathroom floor so we went out and I sat in the first chair I came to and sure enough within minutes My arm started shaking(beggining of non-epileptic seizure attack.)
In the beggining I used to doubt Dora was correct and misbehaving or being silly. Although after 3 years I do not do that anymore. She has saved me from passing out lots of times.
I am sorry that you have come across so many people who's dogs are not truly alerting. I will say this, Dora is suttle and most people miss it. Only those around us a lot truly see it.
The best is when I have had several doctors witness it and they were amazed and impressed.
[notify]
» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by Onyx, SD, Aug 22 11:05 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Any SD's in Arkansas

Dora CGC

Barked: Sun Aug 12, '12 12:00pm PST 
Just wondering if any SD's are wound the Fayatteville area. We are heasing that way for several months.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Dora CGC, Aug 12 12:00 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Chief's training coming along well :o)
Dora CGC

Barked: Wed Jul 4, '12 5:39am PST 
Good Jobhappy dance Sounds lke he is a winner We you get the nose thing figured out I will send you Miss Dora and you can do her next. She is 3 1/2 and still cannot keep her nose out of troublethinking. Well actually is pretty good but not 100%. We miss you guys and hope some day we will get to meet the little chief.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Dora CGC, Jul 4 5:39 am

(Page 1 of 67: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.