Postings by Maggie

GO!

(Page 1 of 32: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Behavior & Training > Do big dogs really not see little dogs as "dogs?"
Maggie

Wiggle-Butt

Barked: Sat Aug 25, '12 4:47pm PST 
Conker- your description of Juneau sounds a lot like how Maggie reacts to very small dogs... she will offer communication behaviors, like play bows, friendly vocalizations, etc, but she is WAY too interested in them- I think she gets overstimulated, "It's a dog! But it's also small, fast, and furry! OMG OMG OMG!" and sometimes she gets so crazed that it's not safe anymore. She once was playing with a Toy Poodle at the dog park and when the owner decided to leave and picked up her dog, Maggie leaped up on her and started barking like she was treeing a squirrel. Seriously obsessed and would not stop. It was really embarrassing.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Aug 28 8:38 am

Grooming > Need tips on how to groom a Rough Collie by myself :)
Maggie

Wiggle-Butt

Barked: Fri Jun 22, '12 5:30pm PST 
It will most certainly grow back.

It should take a while (maybe a year or more) but if she's eating a good diet and you maintain her new coat as it grows in, she'll look absolutely fabulous.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Cara, Jul 23 7:48 pm

Dogster Lifestyle, News & Entertainment > New Dog. Breed Finder

Maggie

Wiggle-Butt

Barked: Fri May 4, '12 11:54am PST 
hey Bailey, you tried Petfinder? I'm really surprised you didn't see anything, because when I do a search for "Australian Shepherd" in Seattle, WA (I don't know your exact location, so I guessed Seattle) there are LOADS of Aussies that come up. Here's a link to my search results:
Aussies in WA on Petfinder

I don't know if you're anywhere near Burlington, but this guy is so frikken adorable, and already has some training:
Joey Beans

Or this lovely youngster in Lynwood:
Sky

They're really quite common in rescue in the Northwest, both because they're a very popular breed here, but because they're really cute and people who really shouldn't have a herding breed get one and then are overwhelmed. I know you are pretty active and do a lot of training with Bailey, so I think an Aussie would probably work for you, but for many people they're just too much.

Edit: the Australian Shepherd Club of America has a nice Finding an Aussie help page as well, check it out.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Baily- Agility crazy!, May 4 12:10 pm

Food & Nutrition > suspended delivery of Diamond products

Maggie

Wiggle-Butt

Barked: Thu Apr 12, '12 8:06pm PST 
good thing all of the Diamond stuff up here comes from their California plant. (That I know of.) Thanks for posting though, Mulder! I'm sure our Southeast dogsters will find this relevant.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Tiara, Apr 14 3:38 pm

Puppy Place > vaccination questions for puppy

Maggie

Wiggle-Butt

Barked: Wed Mar 28, '12 4:46pm PST 
what age they were weaned at doesn't really make a difference- maternal antibodies are only transferred in the colostrum, the first milk after birth, then the pup's digestion changes and is unable to gain any more immunity. (So it's REALLY important to make sure pups nurse right away, even if they're weak or it was a difficult delivery) Its those same antibodies transferred in the first day that are swimming around for the next 9 weeks or so.

I know the current AVMA protocol recommends that pups get their last shot after 13 weeks, because in rare cases maternal immunity lingers that long.
[notify]
» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by Kaiser, Mar 29 1:27 pm

Behavior & Training > Well, now I know
Maggie

Wiggle-Butt

Barked: Mon Mar 26, '12 10:09am PST 
Lizzie... a little off-topic, but about prey drive in Aussies- have you seen anything about the American Working Farm Collie Association ? They register English Shepherds, Aussies, and Collies, and one of their criteria for registration is hunting ability! I love it- a good ranch dog should be versatile.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Maggie, Mar 26 10:09 am

Behavior & Training > Well, now I know

Maggie

Wiggle-Butt

Barked: Sun Mar 25, '12 5:57pm PST 
Maggie brought home a dead possum once. big grin My grandpa thought it was a huge rat! laugh out loud She's a super-duper hunter and eats her kills too. Chomp chomp. Incredible prey drive and determination, she once scraped her nose raw from jamming it in an old muffler because a rat ran into it. She kept her nose in there for over an hour trying to get it! I know she'd make a really impressive squirrel dog. thinking

Edit because I posted as Bruno. No surprise, a dog who looks like a Chow/GSD/Husky mix would have high prey drive (he does smile ) but Maggie looks like a fluffy princess, so it's a little more funny that she's a killer.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Maggie, Mar 26 10:09 am

Dog Health > When is it ok to leave my dog home alone after spay surgery?

Maggie

Wiggle-Butt

Barked: Sat Mar 24, '12 1:42pm PST 
Well, Maggie wasn't alone except for at night after her spay (she was sleeping in the outdoor kennel then) and there were no problems. I think if you're going to have complications, or a dog that pulls their stitches out, it's going to happen in the first few days. By Tuesday she should be almost back to normal. If you're really worried you could have her wear a cone so she can't lick the incision.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Maggie, Mar 24 1:42 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Cattle dog love?

Maggie

Wiggle-Butt

Barked: Tue Mar 20, '12 4:44pm PST 
I know Aussies the best of the herding breeds. Yeah, there are a lot of chunky ones out there, but they look SO good when they're actually at correct weight. Should be hard, wiry muscle under the softest silky coat you've ever touched. I don't care for the docked tails, though, and I wish the Aussie breed clubs weren't so dead set against leaving them natural. frown

As adults, they're really not difficult dogs and I think most beginner dog owners could deal with them as long as they're fairly active or live on acreage. I have not met one yet that was excessively destructive or pushy once past the teenage puppy stage. Most of the ones that get given up are very young and haven't outgrown the crazies yet. Of course, I consider prey/chase drive, territorial barkiness, and a mischievous sense of humor to just be part of the herding breed package...

Kind of a tangent, but you DID mention Aussies after all... big grin
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Mar 23 8:37 pm

Puppy Place > Only One Week To Go!
Maggie

Wiggle-Butt

Barked: Tue Mar 13, '12 5:46pm PST 
good luck! Hope all goes well with the whelping and that the pups are all healthy.
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Tyler , Mar 19 10:09 am

(Page 1 of 32: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.