GO!

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

Dog Health > Thrombocytopenia (low platelets) in American Bulldog
Cricket

I just need a- lttle direction,- please?

Barked: Wed Mar 20, '13 10:20am PST 
Information

My Sister's Lab, Cricket, has had this problem twice. They don't know what caused it. They determined it was autoimmune and put her on steroids. After my sister took her off Prednisone and the problem went away for several months.

Wish I had more. I hope he gets better soon.
hughug
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Mar 21 4:27 pm

Puppy Place > Jumping/Clawing on people--when and how to discourage it?
Cricket

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 1:34pm PST 
I agree with totally ignoring the bad behavior....to the point of turning and walking away.
It may take time, but eventually the pup will get tired and sit or lie down. Then help on the love and praise...until puppy is jumping again of course.
It takes tons of repeating, but they get it.

Ask Mom and Dad to ignore and walk away. No words, don't look, no pushing puppy off.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Nov 29 1:34 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Need help looking for a good Lab Breeder...

Cricket

Barked: Wed Aug 31, '11 9:30pm PST 
Labs seem to swing one way - Field Labs that are Lean, short coat, muscular - more like pointers. My first Lab Truffle was like this.

or

Chunky - a nice way of saying fat. This is the English, show Lab and more mellow in the house than the Field Labs. Candy was somewhere in the middle. Perhaps because I measured her food... thinkingthinkingthinking

My niece Cricket is a Field Lab, but my Brother in law likes the chunky look, so they free feed her. This spring, at age 8, she got a stress fracture on one foot. I wonder if they might be measuring now??

If OP's hubbie wants a "Blocky" Lab these are the dogs for him....
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Sep 3 10:49 am

Dog Health > Curious about what the vet said on hs weight

Cricket

Barked: Fri Jun 24, '11 9:47pm PST 
Okay, so he's a smidge over weight. If his family is willing to get his weight down and the Vet says 70 pounds, GREAT.

I have a thing about letting dogs get fat. I'm glad Buddy's family is willing to take action.

Be glad this isn't what you deal with:
My sister's dog, Cricket, was 55 pounds at 18 month's old, a perfect weight for her tiny size. She now is 20 pounds or more over that.eek

I tried to encourage them to put away the food dispenser and measure food into her bowl daily. Didn't happen.

Well a few weeks ago she wouldn't walk, she refused to play fetch. The Vet said she had a stress fracture in her foot. Because she was over weight. This is the same Vet who didn't have a problem with her weight for the past 4 years? HUH? So now the Vet says she needs to lose weight. She's walking again. But the food dispenser is still in the kitchen. WTH!
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Jun 25 9:22 am

Behavior & Training > calling all ball/toy obsessed dogs

Cricket

Barked: Thu Jun 9, '11 10:59am PST 
Cricket is my Sister's dog. Her obsession with the round and fuzzy is to the point of being unhealthy.

While she stayed with me for a week, I banished the balls and squeakies so she could relax.

That is an actual, non-photo shopped, picture of Cricket as her profile photo. She really got into the relaxation thing!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jun 9 10:59 am

Dog Health > she's just shy, right?
Cricket

Barked: Wed Jun 8, '11 10:21am PST 
I think the Vet should give her the full look over.
Things to look for:
-Make sure her teeth are okay, this may require general anesthetic to really look and make sure she has no cracked or broken teeth.
-The butt licking makes me think either - Anal glands, digestive system. If she is thin and won't eat, she may have an impaction/partial obstruction somewhere.
-or UTI,
-or yeast infection.
Lyme and other parasites, they can steal nutrition and make her feel sick.

Once they run everything, and even if they find something to fix, I would get in touch with a behaviorist that works with rescues, that can come evaluate her at home. Since the behavior is random, set up a camera to video her when her behavior changes. Document - time of day, weather, outside noises, etc.
The nail biting seems like a stress thing. She does sound nervous and doesn't know how to calm herself. I gather she hasn't latched on to Scruffy? The pacing at night is high anxiety. I feel bad for her and I don't even live with her.

Our basket case, perhaps something helpful in her story?
CRICKET
My Sister's dog, Cricket is high anxiety too. She came to stay a week and was pacing and whining at bed time. I took her to her bed, asked for down stay, but in 2 minutes she was whining and pacing again. So I sat down next to her bed and started giving her a relaxing massage. She went from lying upright and tense to relaxed and then totally flopped on her side with a groan of pleasure. After a few minutes I was able to go up to bed and she slept quietly. We repeated this each night, by night 3 she was so excited she threw herself on the bed flopped out and just was so ready for the massage. I should add we got rid of (just while I had her) the sources of whining and anxiety. In Crickets case, the tennis ball. She can't have squeaky toys either. I gave her an antler which she chewed contentedly.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Jun 9 2:26 pm

Food & Nutrition > Good, reputable links to websites that say neutered dogs need less food than recommended on the bag?

Cricket

Barked: Thu Jun 2, '11 11:29am PST 
I hope your math skills are up to this...
I found this online (copy and paste to browser). Just for ha, ha's I plugged in Sonny's weight in kg. at 50 lbs, he is 22.68 kg. He is low activity (He and Snickers are competing for "World's Laziest Dog" title).
After calculating what he should need, I had to compute the calories in the food I give him to see if I was in the right ballpark. If the two numbers were close to the same then Sonny should stay the same weight. Since he has maintained his weight for several months, I expected it to come out even.

It came out a little under, but just enough to allow for tiny treats as needed through the day.

http://www.smalldogsparadise.com/health-care/how-many-calori es-does-my-dog-need-a-day/

I'm posting as my Niece, Cricket, as she is free fed, fat, and has severe raspy breathing which is aggravated by her weight and high activity level. Her weight will certainly kill her early.

Deagan looks great in his photos, I hope those are accurate and that he isn't heavier than the pictures show.

I read his Bio, you did for him what I did with Sonny. I hope you find it just as rewarding. Sonny turned out quite well. Obviously Deagan has too!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jun 2 11:29 am

Dog Health > Medical reasons for a dog to be this obese?

Cricket

Barked: Mon Jan 3, '11 7:59pm PST 
I tried in the nicest way to convince my Sister to measure her dogs food. Not gonna happen. Cricket will continue to be a chunk. She is free fed, has always been free fed. When she hit 4 years old she porked right outeek

If I can't help my 'Niece', you can't help your neighbor's dog. Most likely they'd be insulted.

My Sister has a weight problem herself. Are the dog's owners fat?
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Jan 4 7:54 pm

Dog Health > Collapsing trachea-Help!

Cricket

Barked: Mon Dec 27, '10 11:05pm PST 
I agree, it doesn't sound like a collapsed trachea. You just traveled from a cold to warmer climate that would set off the lungs.

I assume you don't use a collar for walking, use a harness, collar is for ID only.
Heavy exercise can cause the trachea to react. If it happens it can make a popping or 'catching' sound along with very noisy, raspy,obstructed sounding, breathing. It does not sound like a 'reverse sneeze', which is when a dog acts like it can't draw air, almost like hyper-ventilating.

Collapsing trachea is due to a soft poorly formed trachea. These dogs can be prone to snoring as well as stress or exercise induced rasping. It may be genetic or due to injury or illness.

Cricket has this problem which may be why she was dumped, as a failed hunting dog....
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Feb 5 7:46 am

Behavior & Training > tennis ball obsession?
Cricket

Barked: Sun Nov 21, '10 2:12pm PST 
My neice, Cricket is nuts for tennis balls and squeaky things. Not in a healthy way either.
I banned them while she visited.
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by , Nov 22 11:33 am

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.