Postings by Snickers

GO!

(Page 1 of 130: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Behavior & Training > Humping-excitement or anxiety?
Snickers

Momma is the- center of the- universe...

Barked: Thu Jan 9, '14 9:16am PST 
It tends to be excitement and or dominance. In the case you mention, it was probably both.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Snickers, Jan 9 9:16 am

Dog Health > Worried and Angry About Lab Left Outside
Snickers

Barked: Sun Jan 5, '14 4:33pm PST 
I live in Connecticut where the law just got extra tough on tethering and leaving pets out in bad weather. Does your town or state have such laws?

As for AC and police, they may not do anything until you become more of a hassle than dealing with your nasty neighbors.

Document, document! Film, pictures, and note times and dates. Especially if they aren't bringing any food or water to the dog.

I can imagine your frustration. I don't understand why some people have pets.
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by , Jan 13 1:58 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Seizure dog

Snickers

Barked: Thu Jan 2, '14 8:17pm PST 
Charlie is correct. A dog can be trained as a service dog to aide a person with seizures, but there is no way to know if a dog will ever predict seizures.
You are very lucky to have such a dog and I encourage you to continue looking for another with this rare gift.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Snickers, Jan 2 8:17 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > A Rescue vs Rehome Rant

Snickers

Barked: Thu Jan 2, '14 8:13pm PST 
I'm okay with a resource that dissuades owners from dumping their pets at a shelter.
I think I should try and put something together....There should be a resource like that in CT.

I know a woman that tried to re-home the family Boston Terrier on Craigslist and go a bunch of hate mail instead of offers. Needless to say she removed the add and the poor dog is still not trained. If it weren't for Snickers I would take the little boy myself.
[notify]
» There has since been 21 posts. Last posting by Bianca CGC TT HIC Thd ♥, Jan 19 10:20 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Thoughts on breeds for people who are not that involved with their dog

Snickers

Barked: Fri Dec 13, '13 9:55pm PST 
Your friends need to fit a dog to their life style and that doesn't mean a breed - it means a temperament and energy level.
For every breed there are exceptions. For example, I have had 2 Chocolate Labs and they were polar opposites in every way.
They should look for a "turn-key" dog. Snickers was "turn-key", once we put some weight on him. He is a major suck up with people. As an only dog he is quiet, snuggly and mellow. Happy to lay by the fire 24/7, but also a joy to walk if someone pulls out a leash.

This does mean a lot of shopping at shelters or with rescue groups to find the right fit.
I wish them luck in their search.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Ace, Dec 29 11:31 am

Dog Health > HELP Screaming when mouth is touched but not a tooth issue?
Snickers

Barked: Tue Nov 26, '13 7:21pm PST 
You might want to bring this up with the Vet, as it sounds like he/she already suspects this might be the problem.
Masticatory Muscle myositis

Unfortunately, once steroids are given a biopsy to diagnose the disease may give a false negative.

Hope she gets better soon.hug
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Josie *Forever in Our Hearts* , Nov 29 4:07 pm

Behavior & Training > My English bulldogs want to kill each other! HELP :(

Snickers

Barked: Tue Nov 26, '13 2:58pm PST 
I'm with Fox,
She tested the waters, now she wants to rub out the competition. She needs to be an only dog and any new owner needs to know her history
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Snickers, Nov 26 2:58 pm

Behavior & Training > George has no play drive :(

Snickers

Barked: Tue Nov 26, '13 2:55pm PST 
Yeah. I feel your pain. Snickers is the same way. He was 2-3 years old in 2005 when we adopted him from the Humane Society.
I can rough-house with my other two. I can play with toys with them or they will play with toys either together or on their own. They are both very playful. All may dogs have been playful.

Not Snickers. Candy tried to get him playing, with limited success. I remember the first time she invited him to play, poor thing pulled out all the stops. Dopey Snickers just looked confused and looked at me.
I have tried to play gently with him, he just falls in a heap. Sigh....

Pepper can get him playing for a little while. She has done better than any of us. They will roll around and wrestle a bit, making all sorts of weird sounds and looking ridiculous.

I use food dispensing toys now and then to keep things interesting. Snickers has the easiest one, and I still have to help him.

He is very food and prey driven. What I need is a "Whack-a-Mole" game with real moles. That will get him!!!

Keep trying. You know his likes, play to them and you may have success. If you do, please let us know what worked.
shrug
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by George, Nov 30 9:38 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Am I a bad person for not wanting to rescue?

Snickers

Barked: Tue Nov 26, '13 1:24pm PST 
There is no simple answer to your question (sorry). Given the over population of pets and the horrible way some are treated, I have trouble with the idea that I could ever do anything but rescue. I guess it isn't for everyone.
I encouraged my neighbors to rescue, they also really wanted a puppy. I told they to wait and keep on top of the rescues till they found the right puppy. It took only a short time and they found a cute yellow Lab, only 10 weeks old and exactly what they wanted.
Another neighbor has had 3 different dogs over the 18 years I lived near them. The 1st and 2nd were pure breed from puppies and a real handful. The current dog was an adult rescue and they just love her, best dog ever.

I have had it all:
Dogs from puppies (6), rescue dogs(4) , pure breed bought and paid for from breeder (2) and foster dogs(6). If you never heard of fostering a dog, it just means I provided a temporary home for a dog while a permanent home was still being sought. These numbers represent only 10 dogs. I have had 3 foster puppies, 3 adult foster dogs. I have been a "foster failure" with one adult and one puppy.

I have 3 dogs of my own now, all rescues. One came to me as a 2 year old (Snickers), one as an 8 week old (Pepper), the other was 6 months old (Sonny).
I should explain "foster failure", Twice I have taken in a dog and just fell in love and had to keep the dog.
Both of my adult rescue dogs were meant to be mine. The second of those, and oldest of my 3 current dogs is 11 years, his eye sight is bad, but he still looks at me like I am the queen of his universe and he adores me. You can't buy that anywhere.

I had two foster dogs this summer, one puppy, one adult. We did become very fond of the puppy, but it was not because she was a puppy, she was just a great dog.
Do they have "issues"? Yes. But I have met pure breed dogs raised under supposedly perfect circumstances with" issues". Of 8 rescues, 2 had issues that needed my help, 3 had minor quirks, the other 3 were pretty much "turn key" perfect.

It's like dating. You try a few, some are not for you, then you meet "the one". Don't cross rescue off your list, but maybe look into something other than a shelter dog.
This is my 11 year old....Snickers
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Babe, Nov 28 8:10 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > Phineas stolen
Snickers

Barked: Mon Oct 21, '13 4:15pm PST 
Yeah….. I think the bite is human. One look and it just doesn't look like a dog bite.
I think somebody needs to sit down with their now 8 year old child and let her know what the consequences of not telling the truth are.

I still don't think the dog should go back to that family. The chained the dog out. Dog and kids unsupervised, and they haven't trained decent bite inhibition.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Kali earned her wings 10/21/14, Oct 31 3:50 am

(Page 1 of 130: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.