Postings by Mikey

GO!

(Page 1 of 161: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > My dog has bitten again! Should he be rehomed or not?
Mikey

You know you- want to pet me

Barked: Mon Mar 12, '12 9:54pm PST 
When I made the decision (a very immediate, albeit sad, decision)to have Mikey put down for attacking me, all I could think of, and still do to this day, was, "thank dog it wasn't a child". Gives me chills to even think about it.
I'd never, ever forgive myself if he had bitten or attacked a child.

Making the decision to have your dog pts is tough, but your child's safety is comes first.

Unless you find someone without children who is willing to work with this dog and not have this dog in situations that doesn't trigger the attacks, then your options, in my opinion, are few.

hug
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Sabi, Apr 15 7:35 pm

Other Barks & Woofs > Telling a lie weighing me down
Mikey

Barked: Thu Feb 23, '12 9:12pm PST 
Thank you all for your thoughts.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Mikey, Feb 23 9:12 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Does this bother anyone else?

Mikey

Barked: Tue Feb 14, '12 8:19am PST 
I have such mixed emotions watching dog shows knowing that functionality and overall health isn't a large concern for many breeds. Makes me sad.
That Pekingese looked like a catepillar running along.

I got chills watching the GSD go around the ring, but then I cringed watching his left hind foot king of go "pigeon toed" as he ran with that heavy slope.
Unless that left foot going inward is normal.
[notify]
» There has since been 26 posts. Last posting by Dogster HQ, Feb 14 3:39 pm

Mikey

Barked: Sun Feb 12, '12 10:03am PST 
You're right Turner, no one would judge or think of me and Mikey in a negative light. I'm sure they'd be understanding and caring, but I think my hesitation is the "image" of it all. I don't want them to even think of him like that.

This morning I was walking Moose and ran into a neighbor and her two dogs who I used to see every morning when I walked Mikey. Now we get to be on the same side of the street and talk (instead of carrying on a conversation on opposite sides of the street as we walked our dogs) and our dogs get to meet.
As we're talking I thought that I might tell her the truth if the subject were to come up in the future. I know for a fact she wouldn't be anything but sympathetic. But, I'll play that by ear next time we see each other.
Again, no one NEEDS to know.

It's just weird how I've gotten weighed down by it.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Mikey, Feb 23 9:12 pm

Mikey

Barked: Sat Feb 11, '12 11:43am PST 
Only one person in my entire neighborhood knows the truth behind Mikey's passing. That neighbor was one of Mikey's favorite and she absolutely "got" Mikey and I felt that she deserved to hear the truth about it all. I asked that she not tell anyone else and she's held tight to that. She could not have been more comforting and understanding. She is a good person.

No one else knows and I started telling "the lie" about Mikey's passing and I'm feeling like such a fraud for it.
The reason I lie is that everyone who knew Mikey absolutely loved him. Even with his dog aggression flaw, people in my neighborhood understood it, forgave it and still loved saying hi to him and heaping loads of love and praise on him. The last thing I want is for people to think of him in such an ugly, albeit true, manner. I don't know why I'm so stuck on that, but I am.

I guess today I realized how much it's weighing me down.
There are a lot of neighbors who I haven't seen in months and months and are just now finding out about Mikey and so, almost every day I'm having to tell them "I lost Mikey in December". I usually stop at that. About 1/2 the people ask why and the other 1/2 don't.
If they ask, that's where my lie comes in. Not detailed or probably that far off, but basically I just tell them he got really, really sick.

No one needs to know and I don't owe it to anyone to tell them the truth, but I didn't realize how many times I'd have to lie and how much it would weigh me down. It's weird.
Luckily most people don't focus too long on it because they have A Moose wanting all of their attention.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Mikey, Feb 23 9:12 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Tough Decision on Monday
Mikey

Barked: Wed Feb 8, '12 8:43am PST 
I'm so sorry. What an awful thing to have to go through.
I went through something similar with Mikey. Although I got away without him biting a child, my fear and my regular "what if's" moments have been such a thing.

It's such a difficult thing to go through.

hug To you and your family hug
[notify]
» There has since been 22 posts. Last posting by Wylie the Wonder Dog - RIP, Feb 20 1:10 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > I had to set Duchess free today, 1/14/12

Mikey

Barked: Sat Jan 14, '12 6:47pm PST 
I am so sorry. No doubt she felt all your love as she was in your arms.
You're in my thoughts. hug
[notify]
» There has since been 21 posts. Last posting by , Jan 24 11:57 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > RIP Duncan, 1995-2012

Mikey

Barked: Fri Jan 13, '12 11:17pm PST 
I am so, so sorry. hughug
[notify]
» There has since been 32 posts. Last posting by Eponine, Jan 27 12:07 pm

Puppy Place > Picking up the pup

Mikey

Barked: Fri Jan 13, '12 8:32am PST 
I woke up super early this morning and all I could think about was picking up the pup and running through my check list.

Then as I sat down to my first cup of coffee, I lost it. Absolutely broke down about Mikey. I actually haven't had a breakdown about him. I cried once on Christmas and that was it, but I knew a total meltdown was due and I'm not sure I'm done.
Weird as it is, I feel as if I'm betraying him. Stupid I know.

Well, I'm off to start my day and I hope it doesn't drag. I just want to hurry up and get that boy out of that crate so he won't have to be freaked out anymore.
[notify]
» There has since been 25 posts. Last posting by Solomon, Jan 17 4:24 am

Puppy Place > Picking up the pup
Mikey

Barked: Thu Jan 12, '12 6:30pm PST 
I pick Moose up tomorrow(Friday) afternoon. I am so excited.

But, I have to say I had a really hard time today thinking of Mikey. I was driving down our main blvd and I was looking at the houses as I drove it was all I could do not to cry.
That stretch of rode was our Saturday and Sunday morning walk and I got hit with a flood of memories.
[notify]
» There has since been 29 posts. Last posting by Solomon, Jan 17 4:24 am

(Page 1 of 161: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.