Postings by Kahlua

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Dachshund > How to keep my little fliers from FLYING off of furniture?
Kahlua

Barked: Tue Sep 11, '12 7:59am PST 
Hi everybody! I have 2 miniature long haired dachshunds (5 years old and 3 years old). Lately, I have become extremely paranoid about them developing back problems.

Since I have gotten them, they have been allowed to jump on and off of the bed (and they do...every single chance they get). The bed is only 2 feet high, so it didn't worry me AS much (although I know now that I should have been more worried even though they were jumping onto carpet); however, we recently ripped up the carpet and placed hardwood floors down...so now I have become extremely worried about them jumping on and off of the bed onto hard(er) floors.

I feel EXTREMELY guilty for being so careless and not doing anything before to help prevent back problems when I first got them, but I am now trying to get them on the right track and help them live a long healthy, back problem free life (fingers crossed!). I have started by buying them harnesses instead of just using their collars when we go for walks and tugging on their necks. They are not extremely overweight (my 5 year old is actually at a perfect weight, but my 3 year old is pretty "solid" - he's a miniature and weighs about 10 1/2 - 11 lbs). I also want to invest in a baby pool to allow them to swim and strengthen up their leg muscles (although this may have to wait until the Spring as it's starting to get into those cold months!).

Now, my big question, how to we stop them from jumping on and off the bed? I bought them some dog stairs about a year ago and tried and tried to get them to use it....but they just won't (I tried giving them treats for every step they went up or down until I was blue in the face - they are so stubborn lol). So, recently I thought maybe they would take better to a ramp. The thing is, the ones that I have found are outrageously expensive (the free-standing ones are the only ramps I think they MAY possibly use), and I'm so nervous about paying that much money and they won't use it ( thought about building my own, but I'm not a very good builder..at all). Does anyone have any advice on how to make a once "flying" doxie into a "non-flier"? lol. I thought about creating a barrier around the bed to prevent them from jumping, however, I get worried they would just try to jump over it, thus causing more harm to themselves. I know that teaching them to not jump will take time, and I try to pick them up to place them on and off the bed, but a lot of the times I can't get to them fast enough, and before I know it, they are mid air and ears flapping in the wind! I'm just so scared they will hurt themselves. If anybody has any advice it would be greatly appreciated!!!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Kahlua, Sep 11 7:59 am

Dog Health > Cloudy spot on dog's eye after week-long trip to camp
Kahlua

Barked: Sat Mar 10, '12 9:33pm PST 
My dapple dachshund, Kahlua, has a cloudy spot on each eye. The first one was there when I got her and the second one seemed to have appeared over night a couple of years later. When I brought her to the vet they said it was just pigment loss and pretty common with dapples, but it wasn't affecting her eyesight at all. I would bring your pup to the vet in order to get it checked though, because like another poster said, you don't want to mess around with the eyes. It could be nothing like the spots in Kahlua's eyes, or it may be something a bit more serious. Definitely go get it checked out though. Even if it is nothing, it will make you feel better knowing.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Mitchell Rapp "Black Ops", Mar 11 11:01 am

Dog Health > Constant itching! Allergies?

Kahlua

Barked: Sat Mar 10, '12 6:23pm PST 
Do y'all have any recommendations on a brand of good natural dog food I can buy?
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by , Mar 14 8:40 pm

Kahlua

Barked: Sat Mar 10, '12 5:50pm PST 
Oh wow...I didn't know that! I will definitely find a new food for them and just try out different ones that they will like. Thank you so much for responding!
[notify]
» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by , Mar 14 8:40 pm

Kahlua

Barked: Sat Mar 10, '12 4:32pm PST 
Thank you so much for your response! I will definitely try changing their food. I guess I never really thought about food causing the allergy. Is that type of food generally kind of "tasty" - or is it typically dry and bland? Right now they both eat Beneful only because Kahlua is extremely picky about food, and Beneful is the only I've found that she actually likes. For some reason eating never really has been that important to her, so if she doesn't like the food she will just "pick" at it occasionally and as a result, she has always been extremely skinny...so finally finding a type of food that she likes and makes her gain some weight has been great.
[notify]
» There has since been 20 posts. Last posting by , Mar 14 8:40 pm

Kahlua

Barked: Fri Mar 9, '12 9:11pm PST 
Hello everyone! I am just at a loss for what to do with my itchy babies!

I have two miniature dachshunds (Riley is going to be 3 tomorrow and Kahlua will be 5 in a few months). Starting a few months ago they have both been just scratching up a storm (haven't noticed them ever doing this before a few months ago). Riley scratches himself WAY more than Kahlua does though. It's mostly on his back....but if you scratch him anywhere his little leg kicks a mile a minute. His favorite thing to do now is walk over to you, turn around, plop his little butt down, and then turn back and look at you with a "well, are you going to scratch me or what" face until you start scratching him. He will bite at his back for hours at a time. I've tried bathing them both with oatmeal shampoo because I've read that is supposed to help dry skin, but that seems to have no affect. I brought them both to the vet, had them checked for fleas and ticks, and I was told it was just allergies and to give them half a Benadryl. The Benedryl didn't work, so I was then told to try Zyrtec, but that doesn't help at all either. I just feel so bad because Riley will literally wake up in the middle of the night and scratch for hours, he just seems so miserable (and it wakes me up too because he so kindly uses me as a stand so he doesn't slide around while biting lol).

I'm not sure what to do to help. Has anyone dealt with their little babies being itchy and/or have any recommendations for things I can try? It breaks my heart to think he's so miserably itchy all the time.
[notify]
» There has since been 22 posts. Last posting by , Mar 14 8:40 pm

Behavior & Training > What to do when ignoring the puppy doesn't work?

Kahlua

Barked: Thu Sep 24, '09 2:30pm PST 
I never thought about putting him in the same room as one of them. I'm not sure if they would go for that idea since he's in the doghouse (no pun intended lol) with them already. He wouldn't hear anyone home because since I leave the house early....they are usually still asleep. Riley usually wakes them up every so often with his constant crying. They have night classes so they're sleeping till about 11 (must be nice right??). ...so since there's no way he'd really hear them then I'm guessing he must do it when nobody is home also.

I guess I can maybe ask one of them and see if they're willing to let him sleep in their room for a few hours. I just don't want it to not work and then he ends up crying and they get more angry. There has to be a way to get him to completely stop whining? Or not even that...just not the whole entire time I'm gone. You'd think he would tire himself out. I don't get it. I'm going to petsmart tomorrow with him to see if I can find anything that might work to keep him occupied. I'm also going to look into puppy classes. Do you think maybe a trainer would help him?

He's also getting neutered Tuesday. Even though he's only 7months, maybe this will quiet him down a little? I'm just trying to be optimistic about every little idea that comes to mind. Something just HAS to work. But it's like the harder I try to get things to work...the louder and longer his cries!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Tiller (Skansen's Ira in the M, Sep 24 5:43 pm

Behavior & Training > What to do when ignoring the puppy doesn't work?

Kahlua

Barked: Thu Sep 24, '09 12:30pm PST 
My almost 7 month old dachshund is STILL crying in his crate. He won't cry if he is in there while I'm sleeping, or if he can still see me in the room. However, if I leave he will wait like a half hour and then go NUTS! I am normally gone from 8-5 everyday, but I come home every day at 12 to let him out and play with him though. He still cries after I kennel him back up the second time too.

I feel bad because my roommates have to sit and listen to him constantly do this day after day. They do not yell at him or take him out when he does this. His kennel is in my room and I normally lock it, so it's not like he is getting any type of reinforcement at all for crying. He just does it hours on end and will not stop they say.

I am running out of ideas. I bought him 3 different types of kongs, and different flavor bones and treats....and they are not keeping him occupied. He doesn't even touch them anymore. I ALWAYS feed him in his kennel, and put 2 of his toys in there too. He likes going into his kennel. If I'm close to it, he'll go lay in it until I leave that spot.

I don't think something is wrong, like a medical issue, because he will not cry in it at night if I'm in the room or if he can see me. He'll stay quiet for HOURS like that. He finally understands the concept of using the bathroom outside and hasn't had an accident in 4 days (I have only had him for about 2 weeks), so it isn't because he has to use the bathroom.

My roommates are getting fed up, and I'm afraid I will have to get rid of him. I am COMPLETELY out of what to do and I'm so worried I'll have to give him up. Please does anybody have any advice or anything??
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Tiller (Skansen's Ira in the M, Sep 24 5:43 pm

Behavior & Training > Uses the brathroom in his crate now

Kahlua

Barked: Sun Sep 20, '09 9:26pm PST 
Yes, I need more advice about the many crate issues my puppy seems to slowly be developing. He is now starting to use the bathroom in the crate. It's like he goes and doesn't have any problem with it anymore.

I put him in his crate (he's starting to learn the word "kennel", so he is on the right track...it's exciting!), but he really wasn't in there for more than an hour, I come back and he had used to bathroom in it (I had taken him outside twice before putting him up. Each time for about 20 minutes and he did not use the bathroom once. And then about 2 hours later I went to feed him, and I do not like letting him roam the house unsupervised so when I get his food ready I kennel him up. Well his blanket wasn't in there since it was in the wash from earlier that day, but he really was only in the crate for no more than 3 minutes. I come back and he pee'd all in the crate. I take him out multiple times a day and he has only ever used the bathroom once and I praised him so much for it. He hasn't done it since. He just goes in the house.

I'm running out of ideas to try. It's real hard to crate train the dog when he seems to have no problem using the bathroom inside of it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Kahlua, Sep 20 9:26 pm

Behavior & Training > Crying in kennel help!
Kahlua

Barked: Fri Sep 18, '09 2:25pm PST 
I had him in the crate when I left for the store. I came back and he was crying. I figured I'd sit and wait until he stopped to take him out so he didn't think I came back and took him out because he cried the whole time. I've heard of shaking keys or something loud when they cry in the kennel but I'm not sure if it works? I don't want to traumatize him.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Angel, Sep 22 5:34 am

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.