Postings by Guest ID 797943

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Puppy Place > Puppy Biting - whats normal, whats not?
Bella

Barked: Sun Oct 14, '12 11:48am PST 
How to stop her ripping my pants when im standing still?
[notify]
» There has since been 26 posts. Last posting by , Dec 18 1:09 am

Food & Nutrition > What to feed Bella
Bella

Barked: Sun Oct 14, '12 11:47am PST 
Addiction foods doesn't seem to have any NZ suppliers even though it has a manufacturing plant here shrug how odd.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Bella, Oct 14 11:47 am

Bella

Barked: Sat Oct 13, '12 12:51pm PST 
Well i did the standing still when she bit on my pants... 10mins of pulling and growling later i had a pair of ripped pants frown

Also she doesn't just bite during play - what do i do if we have her on the bed/couch with us while we are watching tv at night and she just gets up and bites us or bites our arms while shes on our lap? We aren't playing so i cant stop playing with her and im still anyway.

I have started tethering her to me all the time at the moment as we are letting our cats come into the room with her now(they have been kept in the back part of the house for the last week frown ) and i don't want her chasing/lunging. But she chews her lead rather than a toy shrug
I feel so mean dragging her with me everywhere i go - especially when shes asleep at my feet and i need to go to the bathroom.
[notify]
» There has since been 28 posts. Last posting by , Dec 18 1:09 am

Bella

Barked: Fri Oct 12, '12 5:48pm PST 
Whats normal in regards to puppy biting behaviour? Bella has started biting and with me especially she wont stop. She bites my toes, legs, hands, face, hair sometimes up to 30 times during a day - its exhausting. She bites my partner too, however with me she will bark at me and lunge. She has even stopped playing with a toy, walked over to me and bit me.

How do you handle this? Ive tried walking away but she just follows biting at my legs or entertains herself (doesn't care) if i close the door behind me. Ive tried saying "NO" loudly but she just barks at me and lunges.
Ive heard that yelping might help, however my other half cant yelp and i do want to keep it consistent between the 2 of us.
He wants to whack her bum (either with a hand or newspaper) but i know she is in her fear period right now and don't want to cause fear biting thinking

Is this normal? or does it seem a bit extreme? I want to nip this in the bud now while she is still 3kg and not 13kg!
[notify]
» There has since been 33 posts. Last posting by , Dec 18 1:09 am

Bella

Barked: Fri Oct 12, '12 12:24pm PST 
Thanks for that. I had a read of the "are you confused about food", i think here in NZ its going to be a case of lots of reading of labels smile

I found these ones which looks ok
http://www.trademe.co.nz/pets-animals/dogs/food/auction-52171722 0.htm
http://www.trademe.co.nz/pets-animals/dogs/food/auction-52177 7164.htm
http://www.trademe.co.nz/pets-animals/dogs/food/auction-52 1872278.htm
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Bella, Oct 14 11:47 am

Bella

Barked: Fri Oct 12, '12 12:15am PST 
Thanks for all the advice. Can i just ask whats in mighty mix that makes it a not so good food? Just so i know what to look out for.
I know that they shouldn't have corn and that the 1st ingredient (preferably the 1st 3) should be meat/protein. Any other biggies to be avoided or followed?
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Bella, Oct 14 11:47 am

Bella

Barked: Thu Oct 11, '12 7:07am PST 
Thanks for that. I didn't realise that Eukanuba wasn't that good of a food, they give you some free when you sign up for puppy preschool so i thought it was good. The vet suggested Iams or pro plan as cheaper but still good foods (she doesn't stock either so i know shes not trying to sell to me lol)

That ultra looks good, although im slightly confused - for the feeding guide for puppies it says "feed 1-1.5cups per 10kg of body weight" does that mean for her at 2.9kg she would need about 1/2 of a cup?? Thats seems a tiny amount confused
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Bella, Oct 14 11:47 am

Bella

Barked: Thu Oct 11, '12 1:08am PST 
Ive been reading over some advice on what to feed a puppy and its just mind boggling - there's so much conflicting advice and i dont feel like any of it is unbiased.

The other issue is that i am on a bit of a budget and many premium foods are crazy expensive (compared to some prices ive read on here) where I live (New Zealand). Eukanuba 20kg medium breed puppy is NZ$172.40 which is US$140.
Any tips and advice on food that's good for them, but maybe not too expensive?

Question 2 - Is this food good for either a puppy or adult dog?
Mighty Mix Family Biscuit Ingredients:
Meat Products & Fats (Beef &/or; Sheep, Pork, Venison), Wholegrain Cereal, Flour, Honey, Apple Cider Vinegar, Garlic, Cold Pressed Flaxseed Flour, Green Lipped Mussels, Kelp, Egg, Vitamins, Minerals, & Antioxidants.
(May contain trace amounts of Chicken.)

NUTRIENT DRY MATTER
Energy 3.5 kcals/gram
Protein (Crude) 25.5%
Fat 9.7%
Fibre 1.9%
Carbohydrates 51.1%
Calcium Min 1.7%
Phosphorus Min 1.2%
Ca : P Ratio Min 1.4:1
Magnesium 0.1%
Zinc 131ppm
Manganese 0.1%
Copper 14.6ppm
Sodium 0.79%
Chloride 0.9%
Potassium 0.67%
Iron 268ppm
Cobalt 1.13ppm
Selenium 0.34ppm
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Bella, Oct 14 11:47 am

Puppy Place > New puppy issues

Bella

Barked: Wed Oct 10, '12 9:58pm PST 
1st vet visit today. The vet was great and made her feel so comfortable - lots of treats and pats. Bella even walked all over her keyboard laugh out loud

She weighs a mighty 2.9kg and had her 1st vaccination and worm tablet. She doesn't have a UTI, the vet said that she has a "pot belly" which is indicative of bad case of worms and whats happening is that due to the worms, she is eating more and because we have her on dry food, she has to drink more too. That combined with her not knowing that she is supposed to hold and go outside, means she pees a lot. Sounds reasonable.

She also managed to not pee in her crate or tear her blanket up when my partner and i had to go out for 2hrs today cheer She was really good, was fast asleep when we walked in the door. Lets see how tonight goes.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Rastas, Oct 11 5:23 pm

Puppy Place > New puppy issues
Bella

Barked: Tue Oct 9, '12 10:10pm PST 
Last night was good too, less crying. She still doesn't like the crate. I feel mean putting her in there as she didn't have enough time to get used to it before i had to put her in it for the first night and i worry that ive caused damage to her.

She does pee every time i take her out (hourly during the day and when i see her signs, and 2hrly at night) and she is drinking a lot, she even licks wet grass! She cant sleep on the floor as she has peed/pooed in the corner and on our bed when we have had her up there for an hour (after toilet time) and i fell back to sleep.

She also starting to bite me (not my other half) quite hard. Right now im doing a loud "NO" if it continues i will get up and sit on the couch away from her. Hopefully, that will ease when she starts puppy preschool on the 16th.

A bit about where she came from: The house was disgusting! The puppies were kept on a 3 seater couch with a wooden board along the front, there were no cushions on the couch and it stunk of piss (one boy even pissed on his siblings when he saw us and got excited). The mother had to jump the board to feed/clean her pups and really there wasn't enough room for her to comfortably do it so she was only with them when necessary. They had never been outside (i doubt they had ever been off the couch) or even had enough room to comfortably play together. It was horrible and heartbreaking.
So in less than a week she has had some major life changes, more so than the average puppy. Is this all too much at once? She only has this chance at puppy preschool as she will be too old when the next one runs, and i really want to take her but i dont want to stress her out.

There is a pic of her on my profile, but its not showing up as my avatar for some reason?
Also is it ok to play tug of war with her (shes a staffy x)?

Sorry for the long post red face
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Rastas, Oct 11 5:23 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.