Postings by Guest ID 1193221

GO!

Akita > Akita socialization

Barked: Sun Oct 6, '13 11:18pm PST 
I have a question. I am considering purchasing an Akita and I was wondering to what extent is socialization necessary if I don't want other petting with and playing with my dog? For instance, when a friend or family member comes over, I would like for them to be able to move about my house freely as long as I am around. However, I would want those same people to be regarded as stranger danger if I am not around or if they try to gain access to my home without permission.

I just don't want my Akita to mirror my Aunts Shar pei's behavior. When over her house, the dog didn't allow strangers to walk around. And it would frequently bark and snap at you if you moved around too much. Her dog literally invaded your personal space.

I am not looking for my Akita to be friendly to other pets or anything like that because I don't plan on bringing him around other pets. Besides my parents, I want to be the main pack leader. I want to be able to give the dog love 24/7, but I also want him to tolerate me sticking my hand in his food bowl if needed be. I am looking to present a pack leader presence at all times. I also want to be able to put him on his back, open his mouth, play-fight with him, brush his teeth, play tug a war, etc.

Is it possible to train an Akita like this? I am basically looking to raise this Akita as a very close companion. I want us to completely rely on each other.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Oct 7 8:25 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.