Postings by Guest ID 1180770

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Dog Health > anybody else having a horrendous time with skin issues?

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 8:06am PST 
Kayla....I dont think yours is a food issue, as you mentioned the time of year, its more likely to be grass related, just try the benadryl first. Try it for week, if no difference try the food (food will take a lot longer to have an effect though)
Whatever anyone does they need to do one thing at a time and give it chance to work. If you change more than one thing at a time you will just make it more difficult.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Jul 20 6:12 am

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 7:48am PST 
Fernanda.....just go with half a tablet, but they usually have weight guides on the packs (follow childs guide) However I only give my Ridgeback 1 as that does the job, but he could have more as hes 40 kilos. (i give my Staffie half)
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , Jul 20 6:12 am

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 7:38am PST 
Kiera...dont stop the baths and change the food at the same time as you wont know whats worked. I would recommend staying on the food while you stop the bathing, you are bathing your dog far too much, this will be drying the skin out, which can make it flaky (dandruff) try just not bathing him for 3 months and see if you notice any change, if not then try the food.
Sprays are ok for short term relief but do not solve the problem, its a bit like taking pain killers for back pain...its not going to stop whats causing the pain, only give short term relief.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Jul 20 6:12 am

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 7:29am PST 
3 baths a year is plenty (unless they get filthy.
Tinned Chappie is great for dogs that cant cope with kibble just add bran/ carrots for extra fibre.
(i have one dog on Chappie & one on James Wellbeloved kibble, as its finding whats best for the individual dog thats important)
Just provide raw bones (not cooked) once a week for their teeth (you can get them from online raw feed sites).
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by , Jul 20 6:12 am

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 7:18am PST 
Hunter.....just looking at what you said again....be careful with the fish oils also, as although they can make the skin lovely on some dogs, on others they can actually make it worse (as it did with one of mine) its all trial and error, change one thing at a time so you know if its had an effect. And as little ingredients & additives as possible.
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by , Jul 20 6:12 am

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 7:02am PST 
You probably have the same Benadryl but just incase its the normal 'allergy relief' one.
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by , Jul 20 6:12 am

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 6:47am PST 
Sudocrem. try to stay by him when you put it on so he doesnt lick it (wont harm him but needs to stay on for at least 20 minutes to work)
[notify]
» There has since been 19 posts. Last posting by , Jul 20 6:12 am

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 6:17am PST 
Sorry I just presume evryone lives in England smile
Ingredients/ analasis:
Fish and Fish Derivatives (Including min. 14% White Fish), Cereals (min. 4%), Meat and Animal Derivatives (Including min. 4% Chicken), Oils and Fats, Herbs, Minerals
Protein 6%
Oil 3%
Ash 1. 5%
Fibre 0. 45%
Moisture 74%
Copper 2mg/kg

This is canned wet food, As little ingredients as possible is usually best for your dogs, just needs more fibre to keep anal glands working thats why I say add bran/ carrots.

Hope you can find something similar where you are?
[notify]
» There has since been 21 posts. Last posting by , Jul 20 6:12 am

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 6:05am PST 
Kiera....please stop buying food from your vets, there really is no need, he will say its going to help otherwise you wont buy it! Stop bathing your dog, twice a year is plenty 3 at a push. It will be kibble in general not the brand there is too much of everything in kibble, they are dogs not humans, I am trying to give you advice from lots of experience from these issues, & a very good friend that was a veterinary nurse, shes seen it all before. My advice will save you lots of money, so you have nothing to lose.
[notify]
» There has since been 23 posts. Last posting by , Jul 20 6:12 am

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 5:56am PST 
Hunter....If its an airbourne allergy try a Benadryl tablet (might want 2 hes a big lad) once a day. if its food related get him on tinned Chappie (ive experienced all these issues with my dogs & the things I am suggesting have been proved to work) just add some bran flakes or grated carrots for extra fibre. Stop bathing him so much, he will have no oils left in his skin. good luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 26 posts. Last posting by , Jul 20 6:12 am

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.