Postings by Guest ID 1168998

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Food & Nutrition > New food suggestion for VERY sensitive tummies. We've already tried Blue with no luck :(

Barked: Thu Jun 20, '13 6:02am PST 
I've been through the entire food dilemma for a few months now. This board was very helpful. I no longer see it as an emergency but a gradual process of finding what is going to be right for my dog. Atarted with Canidea, even tried Rachel Ray LID, Blue, did a Venison based Nutro, now on Taste of the Wild Bison Venison. Using canned of pumpkin definitely helps. I also add Perfect Form by Healthy Kitchen. I'd love to get him off the Perfect Form and just be able to throw a bowl of kibble down so I do keep searching for a better option. TOTW is more affordable than other grain free foods (though more than plain ol' Canidae which was my staple food for 15 years before this dog with sensitivites.) I will say my other dog, a black lab mix who can eat anything, SHINES on TOTW.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jun 20 6:02 am

Food & Nutrition > Still confused on how best to feed my dogs

Barked: Thu Jun 20, '13 5:52am PST 
I posted previously about my dog with digestive problems after an infection. I now feed a grestly reduced postion of TOTW Grain Free Bison and Venison (which has relatively little venison btw) with a glob of pumpkin and teaspooon of Perfect Form, a supplement that contains slippery elm and works great. I wish I could find an affordable food where he wouldn't need the Perfect Form or even Pumpkin. He did moderately well on Nutro Venison for Sensitive Digestion but it wasn't grain free and did better on the TOTW. There is a grain free Nutro Venison and Natural Balance Venison but they are EXPENSIVE and I have to feed my family right first. I just ordered a 5 lb bag of the Natural Balance to combine with TOTW to try to get him off of Perfect Form. He's a big guy. 70 lbs though he was 73 and should be around 67 so doing well in that regard). My other dog is a 40 pound black lab mix and I must say she has done GREAT on TOTW. Her dandruff probem has vanished and she SHINES! Suggestions?
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jun 20 5:52 am

Food & Nutrition > No idea what to feed my dog

Barked: Thu May 23, '13 3:32am PST 
Thanks everyone for following up. I have been adding Healthy Kitchen's Perfect Form mixed with some canned pumpkin to his Nutro Natural Choice Venison and things got a lot better. Due to a mix up with delivery, my new bag of Nutro has not arrived so yesterday morning he had Nutro mixed with TOTW Salmon and for dinner it was all TOTW with perfect form and pumpkin. He did great on it despite the quick switch. This Perfect Form stuff is amazing though I can tell he hates it it. I have lots of the TOTW from early when this all started and his stomach probably hadn't healed enough to handle anything. I may try their Bison and Venison line which has some chicken meal and I am a little concerned he has a poultry problem but I guess I will find out. Nothing wrong with sticking with the TOTW seafood if needed. The big bags of TOTW will cost less than Nutro Natural Venison which IS a concern as I am disabled and have 2 dogs to feed (and a 16 year old daughter). Eventually I hope to phase out the Perfect Form slowly becasue he really doesn't like it. I think on the right tract now. I am so lucky #2 dog can eat anything. She likes everything and her poops have been (pardon the grossness) photo worthy on TOTW Salmon seafood or whatever they call it. So, my guess is I will end up feeding TOTW--one type or the other, possibly with pumpkin and hopefully without Perfect Form in the long run. I have always fed just one food for a dog's entire life and hope to be able to get back to that; but these days formulas change, recalls happen, etc. I don't trust whats in HUMAN food these days so really who knows what we are feeding our dogs in kibble. Thank youa ll so much (and if you have an opinion on my post about protein levels in dogs I'd love some feedback there)hail
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Pepper, May 23 1:59 pm

Food & Nutrition > Protein levels

Barked: Tue May 21, '13 11:13am PST 
I previously posted for advice on my English Pointer mix who was not digesting Canidae anymore. He was on antibiotics and anti diarrhea medicine for awhile and I tried a few slow food changes. He is now eating Nutro Basic Venison for Sensitive Stomachs mixed with some pumpkin and Perfect Form with good results. However, he absolutely HATES Perfect Form. I can tell he is miserable eating even though his poop is firmer. Its not a good long term solution.

Anyway, I see that even among well reviewed quality kibble, there is a wide range of protein levels. Some premium foods are 20-22% protein and others are 32%. For a dog with digestive problems, which is better...higher or lower protein? 20/22 vs. 32% seems like a big difference to me. I am on a very limited budget myself so these decision are critical. Luckily I have a 2nd dog who thrives on just about anything so she eats whatever doesn't agree with my Pointer mix I just want to know, is there a general rule of thumb---what protein level is optimal for a dog with sensitive digestion?
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , May 21 11:13 am

Barked: Wed May 15, '13 11:13am PST 
I have been sticking with the Nutro Venison for sensitive stomachs since things got worse on Blue Buffalo Basic (turkey based). Yesterday I started adding some canned pumpkin which some people advised and its working. Aside from a slightly pumpkin color, his poop is definitly more firm. I think the problem may be solved. Nutru has had recalls as has TOTW and both have a Venison formula. It seems almost any brand is subject to that since if its been bought up by a big corporation they import some of the ingredients. Then you don't know where its coming from even if it says Made in the USA. Anyway, yeah Venison and pumpkin!
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Pepper, May 23 1:59 pm

Barked: Mon May 13, '13 4:59pm PST 
I wish I could afford Canine Caviar. I raelly just cannot, and I couldn't afford the Blue Buffalo I got sold on either. It also doesn't seem to be helping even though I am stil mixing it with his previous food (Nutro Sensitive Venison). ALl the switching cnanot be good for him but I've done my best to mix slowly and when he reacts really badly to something I have to stop it. I am going to order some Perfect Form since I can't find it anywhere. Somewhow there must be an affordable food that my dog can do OK on. I am going to focus on Venson for now since so far thats been the best. Who knows if grain or no grain is the problem. I miss the days when canidae worked fine, or way back when we fed our family dog ken-l-ration and the neighbor's dog got Alpo.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Pepper, May 23 1:59 pm

Barked: Sun May 12, '13 3:03pm PST 
Out of frustration I went back to the pet store yesterday and bought some VERY EXPENSIVE Blue Buffalo Basic for Sensitive Digestion--no grain-turkey. He had some mixed with his food last night and this morning. I like that it has no rice fillers and is slightly higher in fiber than most brands. Then someone on another message board told me its a terrible company and recommended some even more expensive brands. I can't believe it should cost this much to feed a dog. I am going to get smoe pumpkin stuff to help firm things up. He doesn't seem sick, except his stools are sometimes not firm enough to clean up.
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Pepper, May 23 1:59 pm

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 5:39pm PST 
Not having much luck yesterday and today. Maybe it will just take longer for him to adjust. Otherwise I think he may neeed blood work frown
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by Pepper, May 23 1:59 pm

Barked: Wed May 8, '13 6:43pm PST 
Update: I have fed the Nutro Venison food---very light portion last night and this morning, and then 1 1/2 cups tonight. We just went on a LONG walk and he didn't poop! He doesn't seem gassy or uncomfortable so I am taking this as a sign that he is actually digesting! I am an experienced dog owner and always self fed my dogs but he had put on some weight so now I am switching to portion control. I wish I really knew how much to feed but I guess I will figure that out as I go along. I hate the idea of my dogs being hungry but want him to be healthy also and dropping 5 pounds (he is currently 73 pounds) would be good for him. Keeping fingers crossed!!
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by Pepper, May 23 1:59 pm

Barked: Tue May 7, '13 3:08pm PST 
Willow its funy you mentioned this option becuase it is exactrly what I just did. I bought Nutro Venison and Sweet Potato because he obviously was not doing wella t all on TOTW Salmon. My sister's Cairn terrirer has all kinds of proboems with IBS and eats the Vet prescribed Royal Canine Venison food. Its outrageously expensive and I know its not the best quality stuff but it works for him. My dog is 70 pounds (about 5 pounds overweight so cutting down on portions s also part of the plan) so I bought the Nutro hoping the Venison and Sweet potato would work for him too. I guess I will know my morning. I so miss the good old days when I could feed by dog "anything." Then I had a shepherd mix who couldnt' do corn, wheat or soy. No proboem. Fed Canidae for 14 years and the eat anything dog lived to 17 1/2 and the other till 15. Now I have a black lab mix who can eat anything...and suddenly have a dog with real problems where its much more complicated than just doing no corn wheat or soy. BTW, this dog was a very serious rescue case (North Shore Animal League made us read a book before adopting him).He takes Prozac and we work him behaviorally. We moved recently and he is LESS anxious here (more walks instead of just going in the yard and smaller house) but the water is different (well water). I can increase his Prozac dosage (it was lowered about a year ago because he was doing so well) but I really do not think this is anxiety. I think he developed an intolerance to something in dog food....jsut need to find out what.
[notify]
» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by Pepper, May 23 1:59 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.