Postings by Guest ID 1166365

GO!

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Question about adopting.

Barked: Thu Apr 25, '13 2:27am PST 
Ok, thank you. I will try.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Jake & Sweet Caroline, Apr 30 1:02 am

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 2:58pm PST 
Do you recommend the Humane Society or ASPCA or North Shore Animal League?
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Jake & Sweet Caroline, Apr 30 1:02 am

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 2:04am PST 
Sorry, I am on Long Island.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Jake & Sweet Caroline, Apr 30 1:02 am

Barked: Tue Apr 23, '13 7:56pm PST 
Thanks everyone for your help. I am in the NY area. Any recommendations would be most appreciated. I am open to both shelters and rescues.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Jake & Sweet Caroline, Apr 30 1:02 am

Barked: Mon Apr 22, '13 9:13am PST 
Thank you so much for your advice. I am open to looking at shelters as well. I didn't know how strict their rules and regulations are either.

I've been checking most of the application processes for both shelters and rescues and notice that they all seem to require fenced yards. I work from home a few days a week and am home to take the dog on walks or if I'm not home, my sister is usually home most of the times during the work week in the afternoons. We have a pretty good routine where she works opposite hours than me during the work week and we're both home on the weekend.

I just want to clarify, that primarily, we always walked our previous dog on leash through the neighborhood. We only took her to the school when school was not in session. I don't know how strict the school's rules are because I do see a lot of people take their dogs on school grounds and the police train their dogs there too. So I figured it was ok so long as the school was not opened and there were no kids on the playground. (Although, I do see some people take their dogs there even when school is opened.) But mostly we do go for leashed walks.

While I understand the reasoning for some of the shelters/rescues regulations, I must admit, it seems a bit discouraging. We always have taken excellent care of our animals and have all paperwork from vet visits from routine care to sick visits and follow up appointments and we also have excellent references including our vet. We always consider them as part of the family and once we commit to it, we're committed for life. Sorry, I really am not trying to rant. I do appreciate your advice though.
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by Jake & Sweet Caroline, Apr 30 1:02 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.