Postings by Guest ID 1163148

GO!

Behavior & Training > Quick question on Gentle Leader

Murphy

Barked: Tue Apr 9, '13 10:56am PST 
Thanks everyone for the feedback. The carabiner is a good idea, I might try that. We have a back clip harness that we initially bought (and now use for hikes or longer walks when he's on a long line). That wasn't working for everyday use though b/c he starts pulling like a sled dog. The Easy Walk harness would be perfect if it didn't pull to the side. I'm dreaming of the day when it doesn't matter what we use (that dream keeps me motivated in his training).
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Murphy, Apr 9 10:56 am

Murphy

Barked: Mon Apr 8, '13 1:34pm PST 
He's reactive, if I can get his attention early (which he's been doing well with) he's fine. I was nervous to use the GL on it's own b/c I've heard about dogs getting out of the collar or worse injuring their neck. I'd like the added control of the GL, for the most part he walks well on the harness but if he reacts I can't turn him away with it (without physically grabbing onto the front of the harness).
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Murphy, Apr 9 10:56 am

Murphy

Barked: Mon Apr 8, '13 1:10pm PST 
Hi,

I've been getting Murphy (our border collie/cattle dog mix) used to wearing the gentle leader around the house. We're almost ready to take it outside on a walk, there is enough hanging down that I can connect the leash to both his regular collar & the GL. Does anyone have a better way? I also have the Easy Walk harness, I was thinking I could get a short coupler so I could attach the leash to both (there isn't enough hanging from the GL to reach his EW harness). Any other suggestions?

Also as a side note we've been using the Easy Walk harness for several months now but I'm not able to redirect him. I've adjusted it a ton of times & the front just pulls off to the side without physically turning him (if that makes sense). I'd prefer to only use one leash, I think 2 leashes would be a little cumbersome for me.

Thank you in advance.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Murphy, Apr 9 10:56 am

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > Homemade Dog Treat Recipes! Please Share!

Barked: Wed Apr 3, '13 1:32pm PST 
I've been making these lately http://www.love-my-puppy-dog.com/training-treats-recipe.html

I use the pizza slicer to make them nice & small for training. One note though, I left them a little soft (left them in the oven turned off for a few minutes) but if they are soft you need to refrigerate or freeze them b/c they will get moldy.

I also did some ground chicken mixed with canned pumpkin & a little garlic powder in the dehydrator that makes a good jerky like treat.

Haven't tried these yet but might make them this weekend (I figure the pizza slicer trick would work on most bone recipes to make some bite size treats)
http://www.moderndogmagazine.com/articles/diy-eat/20326
ht tp://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/2010/12/13/puppy-love-our-biscuit- taste-test/
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Spencer, Dec 30 2:15 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.