Postings by Guest ID 1156810

GO!

Service & Therapy Dogs > Landlord wants to refuse us a service dog

Barked: Fri Mar 1, '13 6:44am PST 
We are acting under FHA and Georgia state laws to enforce this. We sent a certified letter stating all the laws, making our request for reasonable accommodation, and even showing proof that he does have to comply based on regulations, even though he is a private owner. He meets the requirements to do so. Hopefully we will hear back this coming week. We visited with the dog we want AGAIN this week, and every time we are with her, I just love her more and know that she is the right fit for our family. We even went and visited with some other dogs who are already in service training to see if we felt like they were better suited. What I want to do (since our landlord doesn't want a big dog) is go and get the Great Dane/German Shepherd mix that is already in training....lol. I know that dog is way too big for our kids, but it would be fun for me to let the landlord meet THAT dog. big grin
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Apr 26 6:27 pm

Rhodesian Ridgeback > What kind of mix could this be?

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 7:40am PST 
Hi guys. Looking to adopt this dog for service, but trying to determine a true mix. We KNOW her mother was boxer, but not sure of father. We have been thinking all along that she was mixed with RR, but now doing more research, wondering if she could be mixed with Cur instead? The thing is, her temperament seems very RR, too.

This link is to an old photo. She is currently 8 months and already 55 lbs. She has extremely long, strong legs. She does not make much noise, but does howl if she thinks you are doing something to her siblings.

She has been great with my kids when we visited with her. She is very loving to my son with cerebral palsy, especially. But lets my other son walk her and untangle her from her leash, etc., without even the slightest hesitation. She really likes to stick by people, and seems extremely intelligent based on discussions with the foster mom she now has. I don't have any current pics, but we think she looks a lot more like an RR now than any boxer we have ever seen.

http://www.lanierpets.com/adopt/detail.php?pid=1035
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Feb 27 7:40 am

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 12:41pm PST 
Since I know there was some question as to whether my landlord fell under the FHA rulings based on number of houses rented, etc., I found this:

Person in the business of selling or renting dwellings means any person who:

(a) Within the preceding twelve months, has participated as principal in three or more transactions involving the sale or rental of any dwelling or any interest therein;

(b) Within the preceding twelve months, has participated as agent, other than in the sale of his or her own personal residence, in providing sales or rental facilities or sales or rental services in two or more transactions involving the sale or rental of any dwelling or any interest therein; or

(c) Is the owner of any dwelling designed or intended for occupancy by, or occupied by, five or more families.

State means any of the several states, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or any of the territories and possessions of the United States.

We KNOW he has at LEAST 3 rental homes, so he would definitely meet qualification a.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Apr 26 6:27 pm

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 12:27pm PST 
@Reno, thanks for your post. I was under the impression that the ADA (since it doesn't mention housing) was not applicable except in places of business. I will definitely check out the brochures.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Apr 26 6:27 pm

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 6:25pm PST 
Well, we know they rent at least 3 of them and in the FHA amendment it states one of the stipulations is that they must not be in the business of renting houses. Well, they just bought one a few weeks ago, brand new, and are already posting it for rent. So I think that is pretty much being in the business of renting out homes.

Under specific exceptions to the Fair Housing Act, the reasonable
accommodation requirements of the Act do not apply to a private individual owner who sells his
own home so long as he (1) does not own more than three single-family homes; (2) does not use
a real estate agent and does not employ any discriminatory advertising or notices; (3) has not
engaged in a similar sale of a home within a 24-month period; and (4) is not in the business of
selling or renting dwellings.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Apr 26 6:27 pm

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 5:51pm PST 
Everyone, I really appreciate all the feedback. And I promise you I am hearing what you are saying about one dog for 2 kids. I realize that may be a big task for one dog now, and will bear that in mind as we go through this process. However, my biggest concern here is that my landlord won't even let us have ONE dog, much less TWO.

That being said, I did some research on him and properties he and his wife own. Together, they have five properties which makes him fall under the FHA laws for service dogs. In regards to SDiT, the Georgia laws state that he must not discriminate against SDiTs in housing, either.

So it appears to me that he would be REQUIRED to let us have the dog. I have seen in some legal documents that whichever laws are LEAST restrictive to the disabled person take precedence when it comes to looking at State vs. Federal, or FHA and ADA. And yes, I know that ADA is mostly for businesses, etc. It does not say anything about housing.

In regards to trainers, I just heard back from yet another one I had reached out to today, which makes three that haven't made mention of the multi-child issue. I would hate to think that 3 different places (none of which are hole in the wall or cheap, either) are not guiding me correctly. But I can see your points. But ultimately, if we need 2 dogs, that is even a bigger deal, because we are fighting for just ONE right now.

Still waiting to talk to lawyer....got an email from him today, and he wants us to call but we were away. So we will try to call him tomorrow.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Apr 26 6:27 pm

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 6:18am PST 
Just so you guys know where I saw this.....

Under specific exceptions to the Fair Housing Act, the reasonable
accommodation requirements of the Act do not apply to a private individual owner who sells his
own home so long as he (1) does not own more than three single-family homes; (2) does not use
a real estate agent and does not employ any discriminatory advertising or notices; (3) has not
engaged in a similar sale of a home within a 24-month period; and (4) is not in the business of
selling or renting dwellings. The reasonable accommodation requirements of the Fair Housing
Act also do not apply to owner-occupied buildings that have four or fewer dwelling units.

http://www.hud.gov/offices/fheo/library/huddojstatement.pd f

I am not 100% sure of the exact number, but I know he owns at LEAST 3 single family homes, and he does rent out several of them, so I would believe that puts him in the business of selling or renting. Unless that applies to real estate agents, which I think it should be stated as such. You can be in the business of renting out homes without being a realtor or agent. Maybe this makes it more clear as to whether we fall under FHA or not.

But I still believe we fall under GA law because we will have the dog trained by a school.
[notify]
» There has since been 20 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Apr 26 6:27 pm

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 6:12am PST 
Hi guys. Thanks for your responses. I can't remember the exact link to where I read it, but it said that the laws apply to a private owner of single family residences IF he owns more than one single family unit that he rents out. And our landlord does.

In regards to training, we have talked with multiple trainers to get pricing and also to discuss what we are looking for. Because one child has a hearing impairment and one has cerebral palsy, the needs would be different and probably not be required to be used at the same time. But I don't know that. However, no trainer has given us any inclination of this being an impossible task. I appreciate your input on that matter, though, as it is something to consider.

I do believe the FHA as well as the GA law applies to us based on the research I have done. We are waiting to hear back from the lawyer, but I am just so mad about the way he has handled things, I felt like I needed more personal opinions. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 21 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Apr 26 6:27 pm

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 5:42pm PST 
Post edited.
[notify]
» There has since been 26 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Apr 26 6:27 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.