Postings by Guest ID 1154688

GO!

Dog Health > Anyone have experience with dog vomitting blood?

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 7:25pm PST 
Yikes! Thanks so much Milton for the heads up. I will look into it and let the owners know what I find out. Thanks again!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Feb 17 11:35 pm

Dog Health > Different ways to administer oral medications?

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 2:28pm PST 
He's not my dog, I'm just dog sitting so I don't have any owner approved treats with me. He's eating fine right now. I actually tried mixing his second dose of the day with applesauce last night. Another fail. I ended up ordering one of those "pill pushers" that another poster has suggested. Should be here tomorrow!
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Sabi, Feb 18 11:59 am

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 2:25pm PST 
He's eating Purina Beneful. What dog food is supposedly causing liver damage?
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Feb 17 11:35 pm

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '13 8:10pm PST 
The vet said no cheese or peanut butter because it could upset his stomach. He told me to try bread, but that was unsuccessful. I thought it was unusual that he prescribed antibiotics as well, but when I asked him about it he just said that it would help with the inflammation. shrug I just went with it. He's the vet and should know what he's doing. Thanks for the tips!
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Sabi, Feb 18 11:59 am

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '13 7:06pm PST 
So I've been dog sitting for the past few days now and unfortunately had to take the dog in to the vet today. They gave me some antibiotics to give him to help get rid of suspected GI track inflammation. Now I have never given a dog any kinds of meds and I failed miserably when I tried to give this dog his first dose of the day. I mean I tried wrapping it in bread with him continuing to spit it out. I tried sticking it in his mouth and keeping it shut until he swallowed it, but nothing. I surely hope that he at least got some of it, but I'm afraid it was mostly dissolved (not in his mouth) from the saliva. Could I crush it up into a powder and mix it with something like a little applesauce? I know a lot of people use hot dogs, but I don't have any of those and I can't go out right now b/c hubby is at work and my kid is asleep. The vet said no cheese or peanut butter for him. Does anyone else have any other ideas or tips? Thanks in advance!
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Sabi, Feb 18 11:59 am

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '13 6:53pm PST 
@Budro RIP I know it was 2yrs ago, but you have my condolences. frown
@Kali no rat poison
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Feb 17 11:35 pm

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '13 5:57pm PST 
I was able to get the dog to the vet. When we got in, he was acting perfectly fine, so they didn't really do a whole lot. Gave him a shot to settle his stomach and gave me some antibiotics to give him for any inflammation in his GI track. Yesterday was my first time calling an emergency vet, so I didn't know what they normally would've done. I'm actually also surprised they didn't just end up telling me to come by considering I called them like 3 separate times! And yes, I was very upset that this happened while I was watching him. I'm actually trying to do dog sitting regularly, so this was very discouraging. Anyway, he's still doing good I just can't stop wondering what could have caused this to happen. I wish the vet had been able to give more answers... confused
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Feb 17 11:35 pm

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '13 6:48am PST 
Ok, so this is my first post, but I'm just very desperate for any kind of information I can get at this time. I have been dog sitting for my neighbor for the past 3 days now and last night her dog vomited up fresh blood clots (I guess with some thin clear fluid). After throwing up, he of course had no interest in eating his last meal of the day. Even after several hours, he just wouldn't touch it. I didn't find any additional vomit when I continued to check on him and he had no diarrhea. About 2hrs after vomiting, his intestines started making very audible noises. Now I did contact both his owner and the emergency vet. The vet said as long as he didn't continue to vomit and there were no changes in his mood, it was ok to monitor him overnight. So this morning he did finally decide to eat the food left out for him. I still haven't seen any additional vomiting, but the blanket the owner left for him (red one go figure) does have some wet spots on it. Because it's a dark colored blanket, I don't know if it's vomit or if he was just licking/chewing on it. His mood and energy levels are still satisfactory. I did send the owner another text of her dog's conditions this morning advising that she allow me to take him to the vet to get checked out, so right now I am just waiting for her response. Now, I have a one year old child so I don't just leave things lying around. I can't think of anything this dog could have gotten too that would cause this to happen! Like I said, the owner knows what's going on and I'm just waiting for her to contact her vet (at her request), so I am just trying to find ways to pass the time and calm my nerves. Has this happened to anyone before? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by , Feb 17 11:35 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.