Postings by Guest ID 1154116

GO!

Puppy Place > Pet insurance

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 7:19pm PST 
thx for the responses, I think I've narrowed it down to Petsecure and Trupanion. Petsecure is more expensive and has a higher deductible as the dog ages, but covers everything from vaccines to illnesses. But I think I'm leaning toward Trupanion, only because they cover all congenital defects and meds that are needed; after having a dog who needed 2 kinds of heart pills, a liver pill, and supplements, having the meds covered would be a blessing smile

*Also: here in Canada you pay and get reimbursed to, however where I'm from (small city in Southern Alberta) vets don't have credit or pay later plans, believe me I tried with my previous pup; The only "pay later" accepted is visa or mastercard, if you get my drift wink
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Feb 19 7:53 pm

Puppy Place > Pet insurance

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 6:29pm PST 
Hi all,

I'm going to be getting a puppy soon, and am trying to settle the details. I've figured out the food, bought the toys/crate/bed, and am all systems go except the pet insurance question. I previously had a 14 yr old girl (since she was 8 wks), but back when we first had her pet insurance didn't exist in my area.

I know from experience the vet bills are costly, I spent roughly $5,000 last year to keep my girl comfortable till she passed (she passed last decembercry).

I want to avoid the financial issues and heartache the happens when you can't afford to help any longer; So if I may ask what companies are in Canada for pet insurance? What should I be looking for?

Thankssmile
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Feb 19 7:53 pm

Food & Nutrition > A food question or maybe two

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 6:55am PST 
Thanks for your thoughts! I think I'm nesting smile. I've chosen Acana because it's really easy to get (the plant is only 4 hours away from me, but I'll check out Acana too!

I called Acana and they suggested the small breed too.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Feb 18 6:55 am

Food & Nutrition > A food question or maybe two

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 8:15am PST 
Hello,

I've been a long time reader of dogster; actually a lot of the more senior topics/health related topics helped with some of the issues my 14 yr old cocker spaniel/poodle/shnauzer mix had, she's passed on in December before xmas. We are now looking into adopting a sweet little spaniel/poodle mix from a local rescue, and are waiting for 6 more wks to pass (he's 3 wks now); waiting is so hard frown

I've begun researching foods and O-M-G! there are so many options and concerns! The pup is going to be weaned onto Act1um (sp?) it's found at walmart and is ok but only has chicken meal as the only source of protein, so a change will be in order when we get him.

I think I've conclusively decided on Acana for food and Zuke's for treats, but what puppy formula I Acana should I feed? is a cavalier poodle mix a small breed puppy or do I feed the puppy and junior formula? My 14 yr old girl was at max 25 lbs grown, and the vet says the new little guy will be around 20 lbs possible (looking at the size of the mom, and growth patterns but then who knows).

Also if anyone has any other suggestions for food and treats, please feel free to toss it into the ring.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Feb 18 6:55 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.