Postings by Guest ID 1153223

GO!

(Page 1 of 16: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  

Dog Health > Did Y'all Know that Vet Care Costs BIG $$$!!??
Bullie

Barked: Fri Jan 17, '14 8:13am PST 
I have 2 English Bulldogs. I should know. (In case you didn't know, English Bulldogs are notorious for incurring uber high vet bills).

But, you know what is another one of my peeves? People who assume that just because somebody haven't taken their dogs to the vet in 10 years that they don't care about their dogs. Heck, I haven't been to the doctor in 10 years! There are those who take super awesome care of their dogs on a shoestring budget because... they just don't have the money for high-priced vets. There are those who take super awesome care of their children on a shoestring budget too and would balk at a $200 pediatrician bill.
[notify]
» There has since been 27 posts. Last posting by Kali earned her wings 10/21/14, Jan 25 6:23 am

Raw Food Diet > Raw food for a new puppy
Bullie

Barked: Wed Jan 15, '14 7:24am PST 
I like to do the frankenprey rule of thumb. Basically, I do something like this: Buy an entire chicken complete with innards. I give it to the dog in appropriate-sized pieces until it is all gone. This could take a week for a small puppy, a few days for a bigger dog.

If you are close to those facilities that supply reptile food, it's the perfect dog food source. They sell whole chickens, rabbits, and quails. Just take, say one whole rabbit and give it to the puppy in appropriate pieces everyday until it is all gone and then move on to a different protein.

But, most of us don't have access to whole prey... so we do the frankenprey thing and buy the meat part in pieces. This way, you can balance it out however you want. But, take note that, especially for puppies, giving them big chunks of organs may cause cannon-butt. So, it is better to give smaller chunks of organs and balance the rest of the meat and bone out with it. So you may end up balancing the food within a couple of days up to a week and nothing more than that.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Bullie, Jan 15 7:24 am

Raw Food Diet > raw vs dehydrated - is it the same?

Bullie

Barked: Wed Jan 15, '14 7:11am PST 
Raw vs dehydrated is not the same.

Your issue, from what I gather from your post, is not the food. It's the behavior.

Dogs are opportunistic feeders. If they know it's gonna come, they'll hold out for better opportunity. Dogs, like kids, may not know to eat what is good for them. He likes jerky, he'll hold out for jerky. He is the boss of you.

You need to be the boss of him. He eats what you say he eats and not vice versa. Healthy dogs will not starve themselves. So, first of all, you need to make sure he is not sick which causes him not to have an appetite. Then, you decide what you want to feed him and when to feed him. Give him the food then if he doesn't eat it in 10 minutes, pack it up.

It's that simple.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Kali earned her wings 10/21/14, Jan 16 9:53 am

Raw Food Diet > When to feed organs?

Bullie

Barked: Wed May 22, '13 7:47pm PST 
You can feed organs however you want and however the dog will take it. Some dogs get wet poop if given an entire meal of just organs.

I myself do a daily portion of organs because my dogs get wet poop if they get a lot of it.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Benjamin, Jun 1 9:22 am

Raw Food Diet > Burying food!

Bullie

Barked: Wed May 22, '13 2:06pm PST 
As I trained my dogs to only eat over their placemats they don't get a chance to run off with their food let alone bury it.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Crash Dynamite, May 23 9:58 pm

Raw Food Diet > In the Research Stage....
Bullie

Barked: Wed May 22, '13 2:05pm PST 
My adult dogs didn't get weaned. I fasted them for one day and got raw the next. No issues. They only eat once a day.

My puppy (7 months old) got fasted for one meal (eating twice a day) and then raw the very next meal. No issues.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by UCH Onyx TT, CGC, May 22 5:46 pm

Raw Food Diet > What Parts Of A Rabbit Can She Have?

Bullie

Barked: Sun May 19, '13 11:08pm PST 
You can feed the whole thing, fur and all...

But I, myself take off the pelt (to use for tanning), the intestines, and the gal bladder.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Charlie, May 20 6:48 pm

Raw Food Diet > raw feeding for kittens...?

Bullie

Barked: Sat May 18, '13 10:34pm PST 
Cats do well on whole prey. And because cats are smaller than most dogs they can live off of rodents, small birds, and fish. No need to calculate percentages of organs and bones and such if you feed whole prey. Here are examples readily available at reptile stores or the freezer at the reptile section of a pet store (snakes and giant lizards are fed the same things):

- mice
- rats
- hamsters
- gerbils
- guinea pigs
- rabbits
- quail
- chicks
- goldfish (or any orher appropriately sized feeder fish at the pet fish section of a pet store)

All of these can be fed to your cat whole and would contain all the nutrients in the proper proportion.

Hope this helps.
[notify]
» There has since been 26 posts. Last posting by Gray Dawn Treader, Jun 20 8:34 pm

Raw Food Diet > One myth and one question

Bullie

Barked: Sat May 18, '13 10:16pm PST 
My dogs get a bath about once every 3 months unless we take them to the beach - they get a bath when we get home to get the salt out.

As far as the head... I use the hand-held spray and I would put the nozzle flush on his forehead and then under his chin. I hold the scruff of the neck so he doesn't do the shake. I then rub soap all over his face and chin, being careful not to get it n the eyes and then do the spray nozzle thing again to rinse,
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Kolbe, May 19 6:00 am

Raw Food Diet > A Paw in the Door?
Bullie

Barked: Thu May 16, '13 1:14pm PST 
Depending on your location, you may find that 100% Raw is around the same price as 100% Fromm...

My budget for my dog is $1 per pound. She is 60 lbs and eat between 1 and 1.5 lbs. per day. I target around $75 per month.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Cookies 'n' Creme (1998-2011), May 17 6:00 pm

(Page 1 of 16: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.