Postings by Guest ID 1153021

GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Akita > Socialization and puppy class
Koga

Barked: Thu Sep 19, '13 10:57am PST 
As far as socializing akitas with humans there is a very simple thing you can do: take your dog with you in the car. EVERYBODY will stop and ask you what kind of adorable dog that is, or if your pup is as cute as Koga they will.

I have the added benefit of taking Koga to work with me, so he spends all day in an office where people come in and out. I'm convinced he believes our customers are just coming to see him.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Sep 21 6:12 am

Akita > Akita "aggression" (sweet akita harassed by jerk dogs)
Koga

Barked: Thu Sep 19, '13 7:54am PST 
Next time we go to the dog park, if somebody is there and THEIR dog is aggressive towards MY dog, I'm simply going to say-- with no apologies-- "your dog is being aggressive towards mine. That might not be good for your dog... do you want to leash him/her?" It should be on them to make sure they are not the one with an aggressive dog, especially when I am trying to get my dog socialized and give him proper exercise.

Additionally I may have to say "Oh, your dog is small- maybe he'd be happier in the area specifically designated for dogs under 25 lbs?"
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Jan 10 7:03 am

Akita > Akita "aggression" (sweet akita harassed by jerk dogs)

Koga

Barked: Wed Sep 18, '13 9:52am PST 
My boy is about 9 months old now and one of his absolute favorite things to do is go to the dog park. He LOVES other dogs, despite what people say about the breed.

If there is anything about *my* dog that can be said to be "bad" about his behavior with other dogs it's that he's a trouble maker. He loves to run into a pack of running dogs, get them all chasing him and lead them all to run away from the stupid humans. He's like the kid who encourages other kids to cut class... which is bad but not the same as getting in fights.

However, lately here is what I have picked up on--
other people's dogs are NASTY. Often little dogs with bad manners, Koga will go to sniff their butts and they will turn, snarl and snap at him.

Koga isgreat about this. He just stops and waits to see what happens or at his worst he will run off and keep coming back to see if the dog will behave better (and yes, he is slightly teasing the dog), he has never retaliated with violence on another dog or even given a hint of retaliating.

But I know if one of these dogs crossed the line, bit him harder than he was okay with, he would go after that dog and not stop until it was dead (and maybe not even then).

The thing is-- I'm having a hard time seeing this as a problem with HIM, as much as it's a problem with these other dog owners. These dogs that act hostile and aggressive towards him are basically BEGGING for him to act as badly as them. It bothers me because people act like I should leash my dog and take him away... yet theirs are the dogs initiating hostility. Shouldn't **they** leash their dogs and take them away? My dog wants to run and play and if these dogs don't want to run and play maybe they should leave.

I understand that there is breed prejudice and that it won't matter who started it if my dog kills another dog. But would I be out line to ask these people to leash *their* dogs instead? Why should my boy not get to run like he needs to just because THEIR dogs are violent antisocial little bastards?

Anybody have any thoughts on this? If I was a little less upset right now I would have taken the time to use the search function, so sorry if this has been asked before.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Jan 10 7:03 am

Puppy Place > Zoomies/FRAP (my 2nd post on it...)

Koga

Barked: Thu Jul 25, '13 11:38am PST 
A while back I posted about some "aggression" my pup Koga was displaying during his zoomies. We learned it was because of lack of play (not lack of exercise- we walked him plenty). Anyway- recently I have found a new cause of this and I'm wondering if anyone has noticed this:

Cold Water.

At first, Koga would go nuts on our walk right after crossing a stream in the woods, every single time he'd get hyper. Well, we changed our walk (because it's been too hot to go down that trail lately), and that's been absent-- but lately I've been filling his water bowl with ice cold poland spring right from the dispenser and he almost INSTANTLY goes zoomy. Thankfully he's just SILLY now and not BITEY, but I'm just curious if anyone else has noticed that cold + water is a recipe for this.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Roman, Jul 25 8:08 pm

Puppy Place > "The Turn" (Please Help)

Koga

Barked: Wed Jul 10, '13 4:09am PST 
Well... the "go get it" and "bring it back" parts of fetch work fine... it's the "drop it" or "leave it" part that we need to work on. He'll go get it, bring it back-- and want to tug! LOL
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Arya, Jul 10 10:08 am

Koga

Barked: Tue Jul 9, '13 11:19am PST 
Hey everyone- thanks for the replies and sorry I haven't been back to this thread in a bit. Just wanted to offer an update- this was the FRAP, but it was also one thing- lack of play, pure and simple. It wasn't lack of stimulation or lack of exercise. We walked him plenty, I play fetch for 10-15 minutes in the morning with him usually, we're also very affectionate and playful, but not "active" playful.

Giving him permission to play "tug" has been what they call the "difference that makes the difference." But I have stepped up socializing him with the cats at the same time (he's allowed upstairs to "visit" the cats once per day and the cats can come down stairs any time they get up the courage).

The ONLY downside of playing tug? My Akita no longer plays fetch, sadness lol
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Arya, Jul 10 10:08 am

Koga

Barked: Thu Jun 20, '13 12:23pm PST 
Sort of. Let's just say one of my cats is a 7 lb "special needs" girl who does not do well at differentiating herself from a toy. This is a whole other can of worms but it's one we have at least some handle on.

As it stands- it seems like having a toy is the answer to this question. I think that since we can't turn our back to him/ignore him in the woods, maybe we will try literally standing against a tree. That way he can't come up and bite our butts like he likes to do smile
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Arya, Jul 10 10:08 am

Koga

Barked: Thu Jun 20, '13 11:50am PST 
Thanks for the additional responses guys. Just to clarify:

-My wife does not want to get rid of Koga. She just wants to ship him off to be trained by someone else because she can't handle him.

-The tug thing is more about socializing him with the cats than it is about dominance.

-I would never alpha roll, ear bite or do any of those other things to my dog. So nobody needs to actually tell me not to. The only rolling I do with my dog is so I can rub his chest & belly.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Arya, Jul 10 10:08 am

Koga

Barked: Thu Jun 20, '13 8:11am PST 
Thanks, sorry if I was unclear yesterday- trying to use the internet at work can be tricky if I keep getting interrupted here ('hurry up and post!' lol)

my worry with the rope is I have been told I should never play tug with my Akita.
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by Arya, Jul 10 10:08 am

Koga

Barked: Thu Jun 20, '13 6:41am PST 
After spending the morning researching "Zoomies" and "FRAP" I've come to accept this is what's happening. I've seen a lot of great advice out there on this, but two specific questions if anyone can help:

1) Often it says to "get out of the way" or put the dog outside in a fenced area or put them in a room. What about if you are out in the middle of nowhere? Should I let him off lead to just go blow off steam? I worry he won't come back to me if I do. Koga isn't allowed off lead unless he's indoors.

2) His Zoomies involve a lot of directed biting. It's different than his normal puppy bites because he actually responds to reprimands when he does that.

You guys are right that it can't be him trying to "be the boss" if only because when my wife & I are together and this happen he goes after whoever is *not* holding the leash, which probably does mean it's play of some kind (just scary play).

So what do I do when he gets Bit-Zoomies in the middle of the woods when we're at least a mile from his crate or anything else that can dissuade him.

My wife for a while counteracted this by keeping a bullystick in her pocket. The problem with that was Koga decided now he has to bite EVERYBODY'S pockets- not out of aggression, but because he thinks any object in anyone's pocket is a bullystick. Should I just use a regular stick on the trail as a toy/distraction and hope he outgrows the worst of this?
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by Arya, Jul 10 10:08 am

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.