Postings by Guest ID 1152791

GO!

Behavior & Training > What would you do?

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '13 7:19am PST 
I agree with JT - they should be reported to whatever governing body they rep their credentials from.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , Feb 3 10:46 pm

Behavior & Training > When do dog to dog corrections become bullying type behaviours?

Barked: Sat Feb 2, '13 2:31pm PST 
Thank you, Chandler for the pictorial demonstrations...
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Feb 3 2:33 pm

Behavior & Training > When do dog to dog corrections become bullying type behaviours?

Barked: Sat Feb 2, '13 1:06pm PST 
"Still addressing the violence issues. I too, use verbal interruptors, which I don't think makes me a violent person. And the mildest of all with my timid dog -- isn't teaching 'leave it' an interruptor after all? thinking

....He has excellent dog manners. One hump onto him, and there was a loud growl, 2 air snaps, and he wasn't humped again. I don't consider that a violent correction. I don't consider that there is a more peaceful solution to this. This is a dog's solution, a solution effective in the world of dogs. Of course any more than this, and you break it up.

This has nothing to do with positive training, clicker training, marker training, drive training, balanced training, etc. It's common sense if you believe in social learning in dogs."

applause Yes, Rollo, I agree wholeheartedly! It has nothing to do with training styles, only to do with nature and the ways dogs communicate!
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Feb 3 2:33 pm

Barked: Sat Feb 2, '13 12:50pm PST 
I just think dogs speak dog better than humans do. There are all sorts of objections to the alpha/dominance train of thought, and one of the primary rails against it has to do with dogs knowing humans are not dogs, and so the whole assumption of clear communication or understanding social dynamics is thrown off. This sounds like something in the same vein - just as humans should understand that dogs know that humans are not other dogs, and will not respond as such, so humans should know that dogs are dogs, and will not conform to human standards of what is considered "decent" behavior which is something very different in the canine world of Nature. To me, anything else sounds like anthropomorphizing.
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by , Feb 3 2:33 pm

Barked: Sat Feb 2, '13 12:28pm PST 
"You know what, I'm sorry. I forgot to take into consideration that you guys use corrections (I'm not sure about Guest because I couldn't look at your profile) and so of course inter-dog corrections aren't a problem and likely aren't mediated before it comes to that, so it's no wonder that you guys don't see dogs who regularly choose non-violent solutions. After all, dogs practice what we teach them. Violence begets violence.

But believe me or not, they exist. Peaceful dogs are out there. Dogs who find new solutions to things because trying new things is encouraged, rather than corrected away. Maybe you guys could speak to some positive reinforcement trainers about this so it's not just my word for it. Or not. Whatever floats your boats."

You know, I really disagree with this, and yes, I train using positive reinforcement. There is training, and there is Nature. You cannot use training to effectively counteract Nature - two different things and to me has nothing to do with force free vs 'balanced' training styles.

"Corrections don't lead to fights absent of exceptional circumstance. Nature is not that stupid. And neither are dogs. We as owners owe them our eyes and intervention in exceptional circumstance. But we as owners also owe them the right to be dogs."

This I agree with..again, the separation between training and nature should be, to me, evident.
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by , Feb 3 2:33 pm

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 7:50pm PST 
'This is why I don't let dogs correct other dogs, generally. I encourage communication like lip licks, yawning, avoidance, and stuff like that but I don't leave it up to dog to get physical.'

I don't think you can pick and choose - you either let dogs be dogs or you intervene, and create neurosis. Of course the use of common sense is, I hope, apparent to everyone - you don't let things escalate to a fight - but normal dog to dog communication? Interfere with that, and you will inhibit normal dog/dog interaction.

'I don't like those free for all puppy classes where one puppy is relentlessly beating up on the other puppies either.'

Of course not - this is where common sense comes in.

'I really want communication to be learned, not violence. Mediation through non-violent methods is reflected in dogs who learn these skills'.

Ummmm.....I think that pretty serious research into both nature and anthropomorphizing is called for here.
[notify]
» There has since been 28 posts. Last posting by , Feb 3 2:33 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.