Postings by Guest ID 1151787

GO!

Jack Russell Terrier > Why is it?

Kuma

It's Puppy-Town,- to you.

Barked: Sat Feb 23, '13 6:26pm PST 
Does it really matter? Shouldn't this just be a place where any dog that is a part of a breed can participate? .... don't want to get too defensive, but it just seems very purist of you to post something like that. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Kuma, Feb 23 6:26 pm

Behavior & Training > What do you teach first?
Kuma

Barked: Sat Feb 23, '13 5:25pm PST 
Ah! good idea.... I'll implement that immediately. Glad she's only 13.5weeks so training will be a snap. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Lisa, Feb 25 5:03 pm

Puppy Place > New Pup: Half-BlueHeeler & Quarter JackRussel/RatTerrier

Kuma

Barked: Sat Feb 23, '13 5:22pm PST 
Thanks for the insight on her joints! I'll definitely keep that in mind.

My dad has 2 english bulldogs, and the poor pups have had to do some robot-hips surgeries. He also said to cool it with the jumping until later on.

So Kuma is on some Pet Tinic liquid vitamins, which I assume will help out with joint formation etc. I've slowed down with any jumping etc, and have moved on to other types of training. She learned "Down" and also "No Bite"(which is tough since she's still young..... and I read a lot of other people having issues with ACD/mixes as pups too; then Sabi says to stick with one method so as not to confuse the dog.applause Good Advice!)
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Kuma, Feb 23 5:22 pm

Behavior & Training > What do you teach first?

Kuma

Barked: Sat Feb 23, '13 4:55pm PST 
So Kuma's getting pretty good at learning her tricks... even though her breed is super energetic (JackRussel/BlueHeeler). She's only 13.5 weeks old and just learned "Down" today.

Here's my question:
Kuma learned "Leave it", and I can use it in conjunction with "Down" and she stays lieing down ..... should I teach her "Wait" as well? or have I accidentally started using "Leave it" as "wait" when a treat is involved? eek
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Lisa, Feb 25 5:03 pm

Kuma

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 12:46pm PST 
Kuma's puppy page has been created etc.

Enjoy. smile

Training update: Clicker training & Tricks are going well. She now does LeaveIt with toys, and any objects at all. She understands "no bite" as well, when she gets too mouthy (although she's still a puppy and is teetching), because sometimes puppy teeth are a bit too sharp for our human skin. She learned her first big-dog agility trick last week: From sitting/standing, she will jump onto my knee, then from my knee to the toy in my hand. She also jumps over my hand/leg, both versions with "Up". She practices twice a day, and learned that when we stop walking, she will stop and sit as well. That one didn't take long at all. Her blue heeler personality is powerfully smart and responds amazing to the clicker.

She had her first puppy playdate with my sisters dogs, an old female RatTerrier/Jackrussel named Shumai and her son Jack/Rat/Chihuahua named Macko. Macko was super possessive of toys we brought, so his interaction was limited. Shumai had both her eyes removed a few years ago due to a disease, and she turned out to be Kuma's playmate. Shumai walked around looking for Kuma, while Kuma ran around to her butt and barked/surprised her. I think Shumai is a good mother, and realized she was dealing with a puppy--- pretty cool. Macko seemed jealous, and competitive with Kuma so I didn't allow him to interact much with her in order to avoid a negative mindset.

That's all for now.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Kuma, Feb 23 5:22 pm

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '13 11:17am PST 
Well....

I appreciate all the responses guys. I'm a huge fan of forums and personal advice. I used to do the same thing when I was new with my parrots and my minipig.

That being said, so far she has such a cool and relaxed personality. She's energetic when it's playtime, and just likes to hangout in her pen area when she's learning to play by herself with her millions of toys (obviously kept to about 5 or 6 when in the pen). She is already crate trained now, which took maybe... 1 day. She is also house trained already in about 3 days. I think this blue heeler background is to thank for her amazing learning prowess.

I've taught her the "Leave it", "Sit", "Bring it", and "Crate" (she will go to her crate) commands already in a matter of minutes each. I train her about 3 times a day for 10mins or so each session. She prefers the all natural Wellness for Puppy treats.

What's interesting enough about the Blue Heeler is that there are 4 of them in my building. I live in Chicago. Every single one of them has proved to be paitient, loving, well socialized, and non destructive. In fact, one of them warmed up to little Kuma instantly. So, it's really hard for me to believe all the negativity related to Blue Heelers in apartments now after first hand experience. I only hope that maybe the stories and rumors about them are what's being regurgitated here to me, because 5 out of 5 dogs now are proving otherwise.

Maybe it's just that a garden/yard does in-fact make people lazy, and give them an easy answer... which is zero stimulation for a dog. Maybe it is, in-fact, that the city life provides better socialization and more walks/activity since we must do it multiple times a day regardless of weather or if we want to be lazy. party

Either way, I will keep everyone posted as I begin to enjoy this community fully. Thanks for all the answers and responses. I love my little JackRussell-BlueHeeler.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Kuma, Feb 23 5:22 pm

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 10:33pm PST 
So, I'm new to being a dog owner.

That being said, I grew up with dogs, cats, and parrots all my life. Now as an adult, I have parrots (which are trained extremly well due to love/patience) and a pet minipig (a juliani, who is also very well trained and lives in an apartment with ease).

So this new addition, a young female, will hopefully fit in nicely. I've read that both breeds are very dominant, aggressive, bitey, and needs exercise and attention etc. etc. I doubt that a puppies bite would be worse than my parrots (macaw who split walnuts in seconds) but I'm still a bit concerned. I used clicker training and positive reinforcement for the parrots and the pig, and it worked out awesomely. I know that dogs respond well to clicker training, but the whole apartment thing is the issue I have.

Do you think that this mix can be successful in an apartment with good training and walks + playtime whenever home? Also, with the ACD's nature, do you think having a pet pig (25lbs and 16" at the hip full grown) is going to cause an issue? shrug
[notify]
» There has since been 19 posts. Last posting by Kuma, Feb 23 5:22 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.