Postings by Guest ID 1149446

GO!

Raw Food Diet > How am I doing? (feeding raw)

Barked: Sat Feb 2, '13 3:52pm PST 
thanks! last question:
So currently the raw meat we get are 5 LB tubes of meat (with the boned all ready grounded up into it)... Those are 7 dollars a tube.

What would be the cheapest alternative to look for? Obviously I don't want to go by $12/ steak. Any recommendations for what I should ask my butcher for?

Thank you so much again.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Feb 2 10:30 pm

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 7:18pm PST 
thanks for the response!

So to answer some of YOUR questions :0)

.. The salmon oil we give our dog already contains vitamin E (so we should be ok in that dept?)
...The organ mix doesn't have bone in it, I think. In addition, i'll reach out to them to find out what is in their organ mix.
..So if I were to add red meat meal to his diet, how would one go about that? Like go to the butcher and buy a bunch of ground beef?
He is 8 years old, so I want to make sure I am not hurting his joints with the over consumption of bone/calcium.

Thanks!
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Feb 2 10:30 pm

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 1:46pm PST 
8 year old terrier mix.

So we get out dog food from http://www.armellinosk9.com/.. and they provide it to us in 5 pound frozen chubs (we get either beef, chicken, or lamb currently) and also 1 pound beef organ chubs.

So the routine is, I will slice each 5 pound chub (70/30 meat to bone ratio) into 10 (8 oz) patties. Our dog is about 50 pounds or so. So everyday, we will give him one patty in the morning and one in the evening.

In addition to the meat, we also add salmon oil (about a tablespoon or so) 1 Pet Natural's hip and joint treat, and probiotics. Every once and a while we will add the organ meat chub to the food (we also cut that 1 pound chub into 10 pieces)... For the times when we aren't adding the beef organ, we will add a multi vitamin from Pet Naturals (called Daily Best)..

from time to time, I add sweet potato and/or broccli.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a dog freak or nutrition nut... I just want to make sure I am doing right by my dog since this is a new venture.. (well sort of, we have been doing this for the past 4 months)

Coat is great, no itching, great solid poop.. My only two questions is that his energy is ok. I mean sometimes he is all over the place and running, and then sometimes just not as energetic. He gets atleast two hours in exercise everyday. In addition, he loves eating mudd... all the time. Sometimes he can control himself, and other times not.

Essentially, if what I am feeding sounds right, then I am not worried. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a step.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Feb 2 10:30 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.