Postings by Guest ID 1144887

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Raw Food Diet > Raw Diet - On and Off Again Diarrhea - Help
Bear

Barked: Mon Feb 17, '14 10:40am PST 
I've thought about it but he's been eating these proteins for about a year and I've never seen a sign of an allergy. And the diarrhea is on and off, there's plenty of times he has great stools. So it's not something I'm seeing consistently day in day out. I'm just noticing for a raw fed dog, he gets diarrhea and loose stools way too often. I know that doesn't help narrow it down...
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Mia, Feb 25 4:16 pm

Raw Food Diet > Raw Diet - On and Off Again Diarrhea - Help
Bear

Barked: Mon Feb 17, '14 7:34am PST 
Hi,

I'm getting really frustrated lately feeding raw and could really use some insight.

My dog is 1.5 years old and has been fed raw since about 16 weeks of age. When we first got our dog, he was on a grain free kibble. That did nothing for him and he pooped about 6 times a day. His stools were super soft and smelly. I knew he was having issues with his food and that I wanted to put him on raw.

We put him on a commercial raw at first for a few weeks and he did great. However, I've done a lot of research and am well aware that commercial raw pet foods have a very high bone content (maybe even higher than necessary) which is why stools are so perfect. Plus, they have fruits and vegetables, which I don't' think are necessary in a dog's diet since they can't be properly digested. I switched to prey model raw.

Things were great. However, lately I've been noticing his stools aren't firm and good most of the time. My dog gets loose stools or diarrhea that is just a wet puddle very often. I always chalk it up to something he must have eaten. I'm getting frustrated because lately it seem as if he's having diarrhea all the time. While it's not every single day and there is nothing else about my dog's health or demeanor that would suggest there's another medical condition to worry about, it's very confusing.

I have a large breed dog so we feed 3 lbs once a day. He gets a chicken leg quarter (weight 1 - 1.5 lbs) every day because without daily bone he gets lose stools. Then he usually gets the other 1.5 lbs of meat in boneless form (usually chicken or pork to keep costs down). I try to make sure I'm including liver and other organs but to be honest I feel like he's not getting what he should be getting. Often because Im' always cutting it out or scaling back because his stools are soft. The chicken we buy is from a restaurant supply store so it's human quality. We also remove the skin to help with loose stools.

Again, he doesn't have diarrhea every day but seems as if it a couple times a week if not more (at lately it's been much more). I don't get how this is happening when Im feeding the same type of food day in and day out and it's probably as plain as you can get.

The only thing I can think of is the fact I'm mixing traditional dog treats in his diet. We're taking some dog training classes so during those classes we go through lots of treats. I buy the cheap training treats because of the sheer volume we go through in each class period. But still, I'll notice the diarrhea persist several days after class so I'm not so sure its the mixing of crummy treats and raw food anymore that's the cause.

Anytime my dog has been to the vet he's received the best remarks about his teeth, skin, and overall health, so I haven't been worried it's an underlying medical condition because it never fits any of the symptoms. My dog acts fine energy wise and everything.

I decided that maybe my dog needed even more bone so last night I fed him two chicken leg quarters to firm up stools even more. This morning he threw up yellow frothiness and there was a piece of bone in there. I know that's common when feeding too much bone. But, I feel like I feed more than recommended in terms of bone content so I just can't understand the reason for diarrhea and frequent loose stools.

Any help would be appreciated!
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Mia, Feb 25 4:16 pm

Raw Food Diet > So you are interested in feeding raw ...

Bear

Barked: Tue Jul 9, '13 8:57am PST 
Just wanted to say this list was super helpful, thank you! I just send this thread over to a friend I've convinced to feed raw since I've found it pretty valuable.

Not sure if this was already mentioned but I just found a new raw feeding blog that may be worth checking out:

Primal Pooch - http://primalpooch.com/

It also has some some comprehensive info on why dog food is bad, canine anatomy, and a thorough pro/con list of each type of dog food that I haven't seen anywhere else.

http://primalpooch.com/what-s-wrong-with-dog-food/
http:// primalpooch.com/canine-evolution-anatomy/
http://primalpooch.com/benefits-of-raw-feeding/

Might be worth adding to the original post.

Thanks again for the resources!
[notify]
» There has since been -19918.8 posts. Last posting by Pepper,Little Duke, KoaKoa, Today 9:25 am

Raw Food Diet > Vet Things My Raw Diet is Giving Large Breed Pup Pano

Bear

Barked: Mon Mar 4, '13 3:56pm PST 
Another quick question... It's worth mentioning, I forgot why we gave him extra bone... Not only did it make his stools softer without it, but now he's getting the awful anal glad smell.

I will not let the vets empty them, because the more you do it the more often the dog will need it. I did a lot of research on this and have watched videos from Dr. Karen Becker on why this practice is not wise to do.

Any tips on how I can feed less bone and yet not have stool/ anal gland issues?

Thanks
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Mr. Jake the Beagle, Mar 4 4:21 pm

Barked: Fri Mar 1, '13 10:04am PST 
Okay, thanks for all the responses and insight.

To answer some questions in previous posts.. He is definitely not too big or overweight, we've been very careful with that because he is going to get shown. He's definitely on the leaner side and we've had lots of positive comments about his weight and size being perfect. His parents are not big boned either. They are actually on the leaner side for corsos.

We have been feeding more than 10% bone. We will try and cut that down and see it it helps.

Thanks!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Mr. Jake the Beagle, Mar 4 4:21 pm

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '13 8:50am PST 
You made a great point so I just starting looking up some information on this and I'm finding conflicting view points.

This page here http://rawfeddogs.org/rawguide.html is saying "Meats are high in phosphorus, bones are high in calcium. When meat is fed with 10% bone you have the exact ratios of calcium to phosphorus required by a dog."

Then this page http://gratefulpet.com/calciumtophosphorusratio.aspx says "In humans and animals Calcium to Phosphorus balance is essential to the development and maintenance of a strong and healthy skeletal structure.It is important to have more Calcium than Phosphorus in your pet’s overall diet."

Everything I read is conflicting, any clarification would be helpful!
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Mr. Jake the Beagle, Mar 4 4:21 pm

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '13 8:44am PST 
We feed him more than the 10% bone he should be getting. We find that if we don't do more bone he has soft stools all the time. Everything I've read says that dogs are individuals and some may need more bone than others, etc.

That could be the issue. If we cut back the bone and he has soft stools all the time what do we do? Because they are supposed to be harder and well formed on the raw diet.
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Mr. Jake the Beagle, Mar 4 4:21 pm

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '13 8:24am PST 
Hey Everyone,

I'm an avid raw feeder and follow the prey model raw diet. I strongly believe that this is the proper nutrition for dogs and have seen amazing results in our pup. Everyone comments on how healthy he is.

Lately he's been limping a lot and our vet suspects its pano (growing pains). He's a cane corso so he's a large breed puppy.

I remember hearing the vet and breeder say not to feed these dogs puppy chow or puppy kibble because it has too much protein and these dogs grow and put weight on so fast that we don't want to put extra stress on their joints, I'm sure you've all heard this before.

So our dog is on a raw diet and is perfectly healthy, yet lean. His kibble fed siblings (living with other families) have always weighed more than him and he's at a perfect weight. So naturally our vet knows we feed raw and is trying to say the high protein intake is causing the pano. I don't buy this b/c experienced raw feeders know that dogs are carnivores and don't have a need for carbohydrates - fruits/veggies/etc - all they eat is protein so how does a high protein diet (which they're supposed to eat) hurt them?

What do you all think? Is this true? Do you think he has pano because of his raw diet? I know most dogs on a raw diet are super healthy so I just don't think this can be true. But any insight would be appreciated.
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Mr. Jake the Beagle, Mar 4 4:21 pm

Dog Health > Lyme Disease in Puppy

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '13 8:13am PST 
Yes I agree with what you're saying and have been thinking about this for awhile. I think I'd prefer a more hollistic veterinary. And our dog is on a raw diet.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Feb 7 8:13 am

Dog Health > Lyme Disease in Puppy
Ronnie

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '13 2:13pm PST 
Thanks for the help and resources! Let me try to answer your questions the best I can.

He did get his second shot for lyme. It was just that we found that tick in him in between shots. Again we removed it immediately and we were only at our friends house about 5 hours or so. So it didn't stay in him long.

I'm not sure of the dosage or length of time we were on the antibiotic. I have since thrown them out. I know it was 2 pills twice a day.

And no, they have not done any testing for this. I've brought it up and they keep mentioning it'll get done with heartworm.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Feb 7 8:13 am

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.