Postings by Guest ID 1142008

GO!

Senior Dogs > Time to let my Aussie go?

Barked: Sat Nov 24, '12 4:27pm PST 
Thank you for your replies and support. The vet prescribed antibiotics and ointment for her nostrils. We will see what effect this has on her nosebleeds. He also told me "I'll know when to put her down" and truth is, it's not the right time. She's still got enough energy/desire to follow me around the apartment/devour her meals/walk around outside etc.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Dec 14 7:44 am

Senior Dogs > Time to let my Aussie go?

Barked: Sat Nov 24, '12 8:59am PST 
My dog Gidget is an Australian Shepherd and will be 15 years old in February. For the last 3 years she has been deaf, last 2 years blind and last 6 months dealing with vestibular disease - for which I give her a steroid tablet every day. Because of the vestibular disease, she can't walk far distances (or, 50 yards) without falling over. She can get back up but will continue her walk crooked until she loses balance again. She has issues standing up while she's eating, and usually loses her grip on the carpet and eats laying down. Because she's blind, she still sometimes runs into furniture.

The last couple of weeks she's been having nose bleeds.

I'm going to take her to the vet and I know what he's going to tell me, because he's told me on the last few visits recently, "consider her quality of life".

Thing is, she seems happy otherwise. She has an enormous appetite and goes to the bathroom fine. She loves lounging in the living room with me every evening and serves as my alarm clock at 7 a.m. every morning. I don't see her living in pain. She sleeps most of the day and night but when I'm home or have guests over, she perks up and lounges with us.

I'm 25 yrs old and got her when I was 10. This past year I moved out on my own and took her with me - which means I'm that much more attached. I know I have to prepare myself. I'm just wondering, where do I go from here? Do I just wait for her condition to deteriorate or should I put her down now?
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Dec 14 7:44 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.