Postings by Guest ID 1141084

GO!

Behavior & Training > wire fox terrier

Barked: Sun Jun 2, '13 10:13am PST 
There is one thing that really bothers me. This pup won't turn circles or sniff before pee. She will just pee. I think this has to do with her being in the crate that she grew up for 3 and half months eat, pee, poo, and sleep all together. There is a drawer underneath for breeder to pull out and clean up. Any cures? I separated her sleeping area and potty area but she seems confused.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jun 2 10:13 am

Behavior & Training > wire fox terrier

Barked: Sun Jun 2, '13 9:29am PST 
Hello everyone,

I just got a 3 and half months old female pup from my breeder couple days ago. I use clicker training with my dogs. Is it really difficult to train them? They seem to be a total different animal with my schnauzers. She is very tough, rough, fearless, full and energy and quite yappy. If they require so much exercise and they are very difficult to train/obey. I might just give her back to my breeder for the pup to have a better live. I have read quite a lot of general information with wire fox terrier on goggle. It suits my puppy almost in every way. I love they look and probably I am not suitable for this breed. opinions?

Thank you!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jun 2 10:13 am

Behavior & Training > kennel puppies

Barked: Sun Nov 18, '12 10:43am PST 
Tiller, Thank you for the reply. You are right. I shouldn't except too much too quickly. He already loosens up more from day one. I am taking things slowly. He is improving everyday. I walk him to the lobby everyday and he is getting better yet still afraid of human come close. ( head, body, tail down ) He wouldn't mind getting petted. It is just like he is not very happy. I try to be positive with my dogs as much as possible.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Tiller (Skansen's Ira in the M, Nov 18 1:00 pm

Barked: Sun Nov 18, '12 10:37am PST 
Thank you Jax, I hope He will become a very good dog. He already loosens up from day one.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Tiller (Skansen's Ira in the M, Nov 18 1:00 pm

Barked: Sun Nov 18, '12 3:47am PST 
Thank you Nare,

Yes I do have a crate. I have kept him inside when I am not around. I take him out immediately to balcony for potty. I realize he would poo else where when I am not paying attention on him. My four months old schnauzer is very very playful. Energetic inside or outside. Loves to play with Tommy. Most of the time tommy just stood there. Whenever I have an interaction with Gina, either holding, playing, or feeding. He will come near and tag along. I think he is more familiar with dogs than people. I am guessing he was sheltered at least 6 weeks before I brought him home. His body is weak, not much muscles and I think he didn't exercise at all. While Gina will run a lot more, jump more, at least bark during play. Tommy is mute yet He plays with her. I am clicker training both and hopefully He will get use to home like life. I was just at my apartment lobby. I brought tommy there to social. He is afraid when someone comes close and pet him. But he is better than yesterday. Still doesn't move much until I brought Gina down and he started to play with her and I gave them kibbles. Again, his movement was slow compare with Gina.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Tiller (Skansen's Ira in the M, Nov 18 1:00 pm

Barked: Sun Nov 18, '12 12:17am PST 
Thank you Jax, he definitely needs more time to settle.

I asked quite a lot of people this type of questions and I never really get a good answer. Would older pups tend to have a less good bond with the owner compare with 8 weeks old pup? During his nine months childhood at the kennel, did he already build up a character or a personality that is permanent or hard to correct? Would fearful dogs tend to be even harder to train and less likely to have a good bond with the owner? One last question. Fearful or shy doesn't mean he is less intelligent, am I correct? I am quite afraid he is turning to an adult very quickly and I would have no opportunity to readjust/train his behavior.

Thanks again!
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Tiller (Skansen's Ira in the M, Nov 18 1:00 pm

Barked: Sat Nov 17, '12 11:59am PST 
Hello everyone! wave

I brought back my 9 months old miniature schnauzer couple days ago. We travelled together from another country. My intension was easy. I wanted a better quality dog. A show quality dog with numerous of champion pedigree. Currently I have a 4 months mini schnauzer that stays with me Anyway, allow me to begin. He was born and fed at kennel. He wasn't indeed to have much association with people. Or probably almost none. Very obvious He didn't know anything, He never had socialization. Never heard much of sound TV/phone/radio. I am pretty sure all his life was dedicated to other dogs. He does stand a lot. ( conformation/stack ) He doesn't appear to have much interest in people or I would say a little afraid. He is okay with a lead. He is very very clam. I know it is a pretty big change in his life. From countryside kennel to a busy apartment city. I was at the kennel a month ago. Other pups/dogs seems to be perfectly normal. Bark, jumps, recall, and play. I asked the breeder regarding Tommy's behavior/personality. She said " he thinks before he do ". He doesn't even know his name when I called! I observed Tommy and I did find him pretty strange. He wonuldn't't come, didn't react much. I looked at the tail and it wasn't tucked. He was okay when I hold him on my arms. The breeder showed me a few pups. This other litter ( similar age ) was all over me.

At the end, I picked Tommy due to his pedigree and conformation and not personality.
He was already a very clam pup when I last visited him at kennel. He is here with me for 5 days now. He is getting use to the apartment and interests in things but very slowly. Like observing, My female schnauzer always wants to play and Tommy will be happy to play along. I walk him around with a leash to show him the community. He is scared when my neighbor tries to pet him. He didn't show teeth, just the tail is a bit down and backed up a little. I try to play a few toys with him and only show a bit of interest. Not really interest in rawhide. Reaction was slow when I throw kibbles around. Doesn't have much muscle memories to stand on two feet. When there's sound in different rooms and he will bark. Other than that he is very quiet. Now he will cry a bit when I go to bed. He sleeps in the big crate and moans in the morning. ( eliminate/hungry? )

Let me sum this up, In my observation. I think he is a good puppy that didn't have training/socialization rather than conformation and walk with a leash during this 9 months at kennel. He doesn't seem to be very chewy/play toys. He loves to eat kibbles. laugh out loud Almost forgot to mention, The second day he arrived after lunch. I quickly walk him around outside and He just vomited. Did it again for 5 times. He is now fine. I think this is due to his stress/air plane/environment? I kind of overfed him. I was worried he wasn't getting enough food. I gave him kibbles, greenies, treats, etc. Now only kibbles and water. Oh I am trying to positive reinforce him as much as possible with a clicker.

Any opinion would be greatly appreciated smile
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Tiller (Skansen's Ira in the M, Nov 18 1:00 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.