Postings by Guest ID 1137847

GO!

Choosing the Right Dog > Help me narrow down my choices!

Barked: Tue Oct 30, '12 7:17pm PST 
I am pretty flexible as far as if I find a dog (or breed) that clicks with me, I would be willing to make some comprimises as far as grooming, ect. So far I think I am leaning towards a greater swiss mountain dog. They seem like such a good all around breed, they can work, are protective of family, but can be around people/public settings and seem to have a pretty healthy life expectancy for such a large breed. They shed a good amount, but I guess I just need to be extra anal rententive lol.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Nov 1 5:58 am

Barked: Mon Oct 29, '12 8:15pm PST 
As far as Labs go, they tend to be to be to dopey for my taste. laugh out loud Not that there is any thing wrong with that, but I like a more "refined" type of dog, in general. Secondly, the small terriers strike a raw nerve with me. I don't know why, as I love dogs, but I can't be around little terriers for any length of time. I have never pinpointed the exact reason, but I don't "like" there energy.
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by , Nov 1 5:58 am

Barked: Sun Oct 28, '12 4:14pm PST 
Thats pretty much the gist of my own conclusions. I might got sighthound route as they tend to be lazy buggers when at home, and I wouldn't feel so guilty being gone during the day. shrug But Who knows! Its SO HARD choosing the right breed, I can't be the only one that feels like that? smile
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by , Nov 1 5:58 am

Barked: Sun Oct 28, '12 2:34pm PST 
I know not all of my dream breeds meet my "criteria", I guess that is why you call them dream breeds lol!
[notify]
» There has since been 19 posts. Last posting by , Nov 1 5:58 am

Barked: Sun Oct 28, '12 2:22pm PST 
So my "dream" dog breeds are: American Staffordshire terrier, American Bulldog, Black Russian Terrier, Bull Terrier, Borzoi, Boxer, Black and Tan coonhound, Greater Swiss Mountain dog, German Pinscher, Hovawart, Ibizan hound, Irish Wolfhound. They don't really have much in common and it's difficult to choose just one! With the exception of the Borzoi, BRT, and the Ibizan hound, I have met one if not several of each breed! Basically how do you CHOOSE! I mean... I'm going to not have a dog forever if I am being this indescisive! However, I know how much work goes into a dog, and I want to get the "right" breed to fit with my lifestyle.
[notify]
» There has since been 20 posts. Last posting by , Nov 1 5:58 am

Barked: Sat Oct 27, '12 4:31pm PST 
The dogtime selector gave me:
Anatolian Shepherd Dog
Bernese Mountain Dog
Black Russian Terrier
Boxer
Bullmastiff
or (if including small dogs)
boxer
German Pinscher
Portuguese Water Dog
Standard Schnauzer
American Water Spaniel

The Eukanuba test said my perfect dog is a Sussex Spaniel

The Animal Planet Test said my perfect matches are:
German Shorthaired Pointer
Pointer
Caanan Dog
Chesapeak Bay Retriever
German Wiredhaired Pointer
Gordon Setter
Plott
Wiemaraner

Its all over the map! smile But, I was consistant answering the questions they gave me across all of them, so the algorithm they use to "match" is obviously vary different for each site!
[notify]
» There has since been 23 posts. Last posting by , Nov 1 5:58 am

Barked: Sat Oct 27, '12 10:49am PST 
What do you do if you like ALL dogs? I can see my self owning virtually any dog breed there is.... it doesn't mean it would be a good descision lol but I just love and appreciate all dog breeds for what they are!

However, I think I need to narrow my choices down to a few potential breeds. My personal background is that I have had experience with both terriers and labs... and they both don't gel with me. I loved the labs and terriers I grew up with, but those are two breed (types) I can see myself not owning. As for lifestyle, I go to school for 2-3 hours in the morning, and work 4 hours in the afternoon/evening. I am decently active and can give a dog a good long hour walk a day, or multiple shorter ones. I live in an area surrounded by both water and forests, so a breed that can be a "get up and go" kind of dog would be perfect. I also love to socialize, so a dog that can be around people (I know EVERY dog needs socialization, but some breeds are more people dogs than others) at the same time I am a single woman, so a dog that is naturally alert would be great.

Basically my "wants" are:
Low shed/low grooming
trains fairly easy
can be around people but still slightly protective
around 26in or larger (love big dogs) but smaller ok too
and is NOT a "heartbreak breed"
not a dog aggressive breed
low prey drive
[notify]
» There has since been 26 posts. Last posting by , Nov 1 5:58 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.