Postings by Guest ID 1136324

GO!

Small Dogs > Problem at the dog park

Barked: Sun Oct 21, '12 9:58am PST 
You are right about that. I always thought that Pitbulls get a bad rap. My thought was that the dog is built like a tank. He was a nice dog, but he was powerful. In fact he lived with a little dashund who was more aggressive than he was. The owner removed him because he was going after the big guys too. At least the owner knew his size put him at risk for injury.

Thanks again ,
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Oct 22 12:35 pm

Barked: Sat Oct 20, '12 10:33pm PST 
Thanks Opheila and Kali. I'm new to the dog park experience. I have to travel 1/2 hour to get to one. Of course, I tend to ask myself "am I crazy?" There was also a huge pit bull and a Great Dane in there. The dogs were running and playing. The Pit Bull had me a little nervous for my dog who is 62lbs.

That dog is going to get hurt...and the dog that hurts him will not do so because he or his owner are at fault.

You guys are right though...I do notice there are some strange ones who frequent the park!

Thanks for the reassurance. My pup loves going and I'd hate not to let him run off his excess energy. dog
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Oct 22 12:35 pm

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 5:30pm PST 
I have a seven month old Black Mouth Cur. There is a Rat Terrier whose owner brings into the section for big dogs, even though there is a separate space for small dogs. This dog weighs about five pounds.

Last week my dog went up to this dog with a high pitched bark. Since they were close, my husband grabbed our dog by the collar and got him away. Eventually, they left each other alone, without further problems.

I took my dog to the park and this dog returned. My dog was about six feet away from the dog, but agains started barking at the small dog. I was close enough to grab him if need be. I hesitated because the small dog was charging at my dog, growling and biting at him. My dog did not exhibit any agression towards him. I was afraid to get into the mix because I was afraid my dog would get protective of me and might then go after the small dog. Finally the woman picked up her dog and put him in the other area for small dogs. She was POed at me. How would you have handled the situation? I am in the process of hiring a trainer to work with us in the meanwhile.

Was I wrong in my evaluation of the situation ? I'm afraid to take him to the park. He hasn't had any problems with other dogs, but he is still a puppy.

Thanks for any input!

Carol
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Oct 22 12:35 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.