Postings by Guest ID 1135382

GO!

Raw Food Diet > Seizure, want to switch to raw, now diarrhea, advice?

Barked: Thu Oct 11, '12 8:25pm PST 
Thanks so much for your response. No, I haven't been feeding any bone, I tried introducing a raw chicken neck, she wasn't interested at all. Maybe this is at least in part causing the diarrhea. I will definitely add calcium to her meal today.

If she won't come around to eating raw bone, I guess I will have to go with ground egg shell for a calcium supplement. And maybe start brushing her teeth if she'll let me, if she won't chew bone. The vet said her gums are currently in good condition.

Her kibble was chicken-based. And she has never shown any signs of being allergic. I have been giving a probiotic, enzymes, fiber mix called Probiotic 8 Plus.

I will also try to find a holistic vet to consult with locally.

Thanks again for your response, we'll she how she makes out in the next few days.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Cookie, Oct 14 6:22 pm

Raw Food Diet > Seizure, want to switch to raw, now diarrhea, advice?

Barked: Thu Oct 11, '12 4:23pm PST 
My yorkie-poo (turning 7) had her first (i'm praying that it's the last) seizure 5 days ago. I was completely shocked. Her entire life I've been feeding her Actrium holistic dry food mixed with Beneful wet Vitalife Duck & Sweet Potato treats (currently under investigation by FDA).
I found out about the treats, threw them out, and two days later she had the seizure. I rushed her to the vet at 3am and did blood work physical and all looked good, except slightly low protein levels. The vet was absolutely no help.
Since the seizure I've discovered the BARF diet, want to start her on it, but she won't touch anything raw, and I can't cure her diarrhea caused by suddenly taking her off her old food. I tried giving her cooked brown rice, chicken and a scrambled egg, to temporarily replace the kibble until I can start introducing raw whole foods. But she had explosive diarrhea that came out in a thin stream.
I tried just cooked chicken with added multi vitamin, a little fish oil and probiotics, still diarrhea. So i reluctantly tried organic canned chicken/liver/turkey mix, and this seemed to help a bit.
She has never liked "human" food, or any food for that matter, she's 9.5 pounds. Feeding her has always been challenging. I'm afraid that if I keep shocking her system with food changes she will have another seizure. But i don't want to go back to kibble, unless it's necessary to help transition her.
She keeps pawing at the counter for her treats that are long gone, the only thing she ever liked to eat... that ended being poisonous. I'm very upset, but am determined to heal her. Sorry for the lengthy post, I'm just so worried for her!

-- Could someone please advise how to help with her diarrhea (I will try adding some pumpkin next i think), and how to introduce raw so that she might actually eat it?
-- Have the years of kibble and poison treats damaged her ability to properly digest "human" food?
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Cookie, Oct 14 6:22 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.