Postings by Guest ID 1132525

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Raw Food Diet > Supplementation - What's Necessary

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 7:24am PST 
I have a question on supplementation. I'm under the understanding that those who do a more BARF style diet are generally higher in supplementation and those who do prey model raw choose not to over supplement and believe most everything the dog needs comes from the diet.

With that said. I'd like to know which supplements are considered necessary and which ones aren't. And the ones that aren't what are the cases or situations in which one might want to consider using those supplements.

For example. I know a good fish oil is recommended for those feeding factory farmed meat to fix the omega 3/6 ratios.

But what about probiotics, digestive enzymes, immune boosters, vitamin supplements, green kelp, alfalfa, blue green algae, spirulina, etc to name a few.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by , Jan 27 11:38 pm

Raw Food Diet > Vets that Support Raw

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 7:23am PST 
I just wanted to respond quick to that last comment there. I in no way, shape, or form have any ill or illegitimate intentions. I am in this forum for the same reasons everyone else is, to learn more, to ask questions and to share a passion for the health of my dog and raw feeding. I understand your concern for other members but, I wanted to set the record clear... this is a legitimate question.

As for not registering, I apologize. Between family, work, going back to school part time, I just haven't gotten around to it. I'll try to get on that ASAP if that makes members feel more comfortable.

Just to ease everyone's concerns, I am planning on personally contacting each veterinarian that I am refereed to so that I can explain what I'm doing and to ask their permission. I would never think to distribute something up about anyone without asking permission first. But if it makes the members on this forum feel more comfortable. I will just contact holistic veterinarians from here on out and not ask any more personal recommendations.

As anyone might imagine, compiling a comprehensive list like this requires a lot of work and is very time consuming. So any recommendations that I've gotten thus far has been very helpful and I appreciate it very much!

I really hope that most of you can see this is a very genuine request and I was only doing this to help make a list for those people that felt more comfortable seeing a vet that supports raw feeding and doesn't try to make you feel bad about it. I know it does for me at least. Because, frankly, I'm afraid to go to my vet now and am sick of the disapproval I receive every time. I'm also sick of feeling as if any ailment my dog might have from here on out will most likely be blamed on raw feeding.

Thanks for understanding.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Dec 6 7:23 am

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 8:23am PST 
Okay, thanks! I'll try that.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Dec 6 7:23 am

Raw Food Diet > War between BARF and Prey Model -- getting exhausting!

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 8:22am PST 
Yea it's very crazy to me. I'm totally fine with people disagreeing and I'm all about constructive criticism. I want to know the "why" behind something. But these Yahoo Raw groups are remind me of a nasty hig school clique and if you say one word they don't approve of (even if it's asking a question) you get targeted and attacked. And I mean I have no problem hearing I'm wrong. But I simply defended a girl who was getting attacked. And I did not defend the information she gave but I defended the people turning on her. And I said I appreciated her trying and would appreciate if people would not be negative. And just simple sticking up for another human being led to the moderator and everyone in the group turning on me and all I wanted to do was make something helpful for raw feeders. It's really unfortunate. But yes please feel free to list the raw feeding forums that anyone has found helpful.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Jobi, Dec 4 4:43 pm

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 2:20pm PST 
Yea I'm still a member of these groups. It's probably time to leave. I had just recently asked a question in the Raw Chat FB group and am now being attacked.

I asked if anyone knew of a vet that supported or promoted raw diets. I'm compiling a list of vets, hopefully it will get large enough to list all the vets in the country that support that kind of diet. Not that people who feed this way need to go to that vet. But I know I feel more comfortable finding a vet who approves of how I feed so I don't have to worry my vet (who is against raw feeding) will blame every little thing on it. Just as doctors today educate very little on nutrition and diet (which is the cause of most ailments today) and is quick to prescribe quick fix it medications. I wanted to find a more hollistic vet who understands the importance of diet.

So long story short. I asked the question on the forum. Lots of people were into it and helped out, said it was a great idea. Then a few started attacking it. A poor girl who was new recommended Dr. Karen Becker (popular online from Dr. Mercola's pet website). Anyway she does not support PMR. And then people went a bit off. Some guy said her name is not welcome on the site. The poor girl defended herself but apologised then another lady said she should be shunned. I tried to do the right thing by moderating all the crazy people who starting being rude and attacking the other people who were trying to answer my question. I made it clear that if anyone could give me any news or rumour of any vet supporting any kind of raw diet, I'd appreciate it. I then said I would call all the vets myself and cross reference and have appropriate lists for which vets supported which diet.

Next thing you know I'm getting told I'm disrespectful by the moderator and a whole thing ensued. I'll probably get kicked out. But oh well, I needed to stick up for myself in there. I cannot understand how those groups are still allowed to exist, they are nasty. So I reposted my question here smile
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Jobi, Dec 4 4:43 pm

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 12:04pm PST 
I'm trying to compile a list for the US of vets that support or promote a raw diet. I think this information would be very useful for lots of people. Now that I feed raw, I can say I don't feel as comfortable going to my vet knowing he doesn't support the diet. I would love to see a vet that supports it and who I can openly talk about it with and ask questions. If you know of vet that does support raw will you please respond and let me know their name and the name of their practice and/or website? And if you have a vet that is indifferent then leave them out. I only want vets that support it and promote it. So if you're vet says the decision is yours but is on the fence then that's not what I'm looking for.

Thanks!
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Dec 6 7:23 am

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 8:03am PST 
Thanks everyone for your comments. I definitely don't feel crazy now! And it was nice to hear others have similar experiences. Raw feeding, especially when your new, is about trial and error. So it's nice to see there is a better attitude at this forum. I've been researching raw feeding for so long but have probably been about a month. I'm constantly changing things up as I learn. I'm sure I'll be asking more questions from here on out. Thanks again!
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by Jobi, Dec 4 4:43 pm

Barked: Mon Nov 26, '12 8:20am PST 
Hi there,

I don't know if this is a question or more of a comment. But I'm interested in finding out the experiences other raw feeders have had in not just this forum but the many other popular raw feeding forums or chats (we'll leave them unnamed).

It is my belief that anyone who tries a raw diet, whether pre packaged, BARF or Prey Model is making a great and valiant effort to take better care of their pets. However, I find the war/debate/animosity between the BARF proponents and the Prey Model proponents to be exhausting. Other than some differences, both methodologies have the same aims and end goals, feeding a more species appropriate diet, getting their dogs away from kibble, and most importantly getting healthy.

Every time I ask a question in the various raw forums, raw chats, etc. I am met with differing viewpoints and sometimes rude answers if I have done something that doesn't align with one of the methodologies. I'm definitely looking to learn from experienced feeders and am open to constructive criticism.

But is there any place you can to ask experienced raw feeders questions and ask for help without getting rude or snarky responses? I find Prey Model feeders to be the worst culprit. One mention of any vegetable matter fed to your dogs receives some blatant comments that are more scolding in nature than helpful (for the record that never happened in this forum).

Most people come to forums to learn. And everyone who feeds raw was a newbie at some point and I'm sure had lots of questions and concerns, so I thought raw feeding forums would be nurturing and supportive places to discuss experiences without feeling judged. I have just been feeling lately like some exclusive prey model raw forums can be critical and harsh and don't offer the most supportive environment for asking questions and being honest. I am a prey model raw feeder though and believe it in. However, I don't strongly believe the other raw feeders are doing a disservice to their dogs, I am happy to see more people feed raw, whatever method they chose.

Anyway, please feel free to share your experiences in this or other forums and with other raw feeders. I'm wondering if this is just me or if others have noticed this.
[notify]
» There has since been 38 posts. Last posting by Jobi, Dec 4 4:43 pm

Raw Food Diet > HELP FEEDING RAW, WHAT CAN I FEED AND WHAT CAN'T I??

Barked: Mon Nov 26, '12 8:06am PST 
It does, thanks for all the advice. I'm starting to get the hang out of it. Unfortunately most of it is trial and error, but I'm learning either way smile
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Duke, Nov 26 3:23 pm

Raw Food Diet > HELP FEEDING RAW, WHAT CAN I FEED AND WHAT CAN'T I??

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 7:55am PST 
Okay, thanks! My dog is just over 4 months old. Last time he was weighed I believe he was 44lbs which was a few weeks ago. I'm sure he'll be at 50 in no time. He's a male so he'll prob be around 115-130 when full grown.

And yea I think I just need to start it out and give it a try, I'm just very worried about him swallowing things whole. Plus his head is going to be so big that will make finding cuts harder. I want to be able to feed backs and necks and stuff like I've read about but I feel like that might be too small for him. Maybe not right now but it will be soon I'm sure.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Duke, Nov 26 3:23 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.