Postings by Guest ID 1125278

GO!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

Puppy Place > Help! Name for a male papillon puppy?
Jake

ain't nothin'- but a hound dog

Barked: Thu May 2, '13 7:28pm PST 
Hello all!

I would love to hear your suggestions for a name for my male papillon puppy that I will be getting soon!

Here is what I have so far...
Ollie/Oliver
Finn/Finnegan
Jax
Jace
Rascal
Scamp
Champ /Champion
Eli
Milo
Teddy/Theodore
Tucker
Benji
Baxter

Pleas e tell me which you like and/or suggest more names! Thanks smile
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , May 11 8:35 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Breed Match (Tillers help wanted!)
Jake

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 5:35pm PST 
Thank you for such a detailed response Tiller. It is extremely helpful! You truly have an outstanding knowledge for dog breeds. hail

I’m glad to see that I had some good breeds on my list already!

I honestly had overlooked the terrier group when searching for breeds because I’m not too fond of the group’s common independence and stubbornness. I actually had never heard of Glen of Imaal Terriers (I thought I knew practically every breed laugh out loud ) They seem like wonderful little dogs. I do like that they aren’t as “terrier-like” in a sense. I only wish they were more popular so I could perhaps meet one to see if I like their personality or at least be able to find more information on them on the internet. Border Terriers seem good as well. However, I think if I was worried about Papillons being not sturdy enough I would chose one of my larger options. Border Terriers just don’t appeal to me as much as Papillons and Dobermans for example.

My top contenders in the average size category have been narrowed down to Dobermans, GSDs and possibly Goldens. I have one question for you about GSDs. What are your thoughts about White German Shepherds? Do you think they would be a good match for me??

I looked into Leonbergers because I didn’t know much about them. They seem like awesome dogs. If I did decide to get a giant dog I think a Leonburger would be a great choice. I could see myself getting a giant dog when I’m a little bit more settled down, later on in life. I’m happy you mentioned them. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Jan 9 6:12 pm

Jake

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 11:36pm PST 
A happy personality is more appealing to me. This might be odd but I don't always enjoy "annoyingly" happy dogs. I'm not sure if you'll know what I mean so if you don't just disregard it.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Jan 9 6:12 pm

Jake

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 10:49pm PST 
I'm anticipating your response Tiller... smile
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Jan 9 6:12 pm

Jake

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 12:35pm PST 
I am definitely both! Are you a mind reader or what? laugh out loud

Finn sounds like he would have been a PERFECT match!!

I'm considering adopting a mutt. I figured that if I found a breed that I liked best I could try to find a mix of that breed. For example, if I decided German Shepherds were the best breed for me, I would look for a shepherd mix. This might be challenging if I decide on a breed that is not as popular though.

I would not be bummed if my dog had some sort of minor issue like barking or separation anxiety. No dog if perfect, I would be sure to work on it with him and hopefully be able to fix the issue.

I would say I’m socially active. I have friends come over fairly often.

Not a big city for sure, most likely country or small town.

I do not expect to get any small pets or birds but cats are a possibility.

If I had to choose between delicate and rough I think I would choose rough but a happy medium would be great. I guess when I think of rough I think of a dog that is a little more playful which I would enjoy.

I’m generally gentle but I often can be more energetic I think would be a better word to use than rough for me.

I consider myself softhearted but I’m able to put my foot down when necessary. I’m not afraid to set boundaries, in fact, I believe boundaries need to be set with dogs and I will not be manipulated to go against them. I don’t want my dog to rule the house, I want to. big grin
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Jan 9 6:12 pm

Jake

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 12:17am PST 
This whole process is actually somewhat difficult for me because I’m an indecisive type of person. I know it will be worth it though!

Either soft or hard dogs seem fine to me. I would probably go with moderate or maybe a little on the sensitive side. I guess I can’t really be sure which I would want.

I consider myself to be calm and not really moody. Especially when interacting with dogs, I’m typically happy and confident.

Nurturer or buddy…that is a tough one. They are both appealing to me. If I had to choose I would probably pick buddy. I guess I’m looking for more of an “I love YOU, never leave your side, I’ll be here for you” type than a “love ME, don’t ever leave me, I need you” type. Even though I think it would be nice to feel needed smile
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by , Jan 9 6:12 pm

German Shepherd > WHITE German Shepherd vs. Black and Tan

Jake

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 5:35pm PST 
Thank you smile
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by , Sep 28 1:47 am

Jake

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 10:05am PST 
The AKC groups I will be looking into then are sporting, herding and working.

I'm now quite sure if I decide to get a small dog it will be a Papillon because they are one of the most intelligent toy breeds, very attached to their owners and do not require a lot of grooming smile

I could see Goldens, Labs, GSDs and Collies fitting into what I would want for a dog, they are all great breeds. I also am interested in other breeds such as Bostons, ESSs and Dobermans. Now it's just about choosing one breed that is best for me and there is where I get stuck! If only there weren't so many awesome dog breeds out there big grin
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by , Jan 9 6:12 pm

German Shepherd > WHITE German Shepherd vs. Black and Tan

Jake

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 9:41am PST 
Could someone please tell me about White German Shepherds and how they are different from the standard black and tan? In all areas but especially demeanor and temperament.
[notify]
» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by , Sep 28 1:47 am

Jake

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 11:06am PST 
If I did end up getting a golden I would love to do upper level obedience with him for more of a challenge for him and myself.
[notify]
» There has since been 20 posts. Last posting by , Jan 9 6:12 pm

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.