Postings by Guest ID 1122471

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Raw Food Diet > Next Step Questions
Seamus

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 6:49am PST 
Hi Rexy, thanks for your response. Okay, I figured it was just about finding a time that works for everyone. I gave Seamus a bit extra last night and a little less this morning so I'll start to give less and less in morning and more in the evening until we have him moved over to evening meals.

I'm not really having issues with inconsistent poops. I was before when I was feeding too many proteins at once but then I started over just feeding chicken (started with ground and moved onto necks). He was on chicken only for about a month.
I have read quite a bit on starting raw and he's actually been on raw since July. I think I just take everything so literally and worry about not doing everything exactly the way the book says. I just feel like I get comfortable feeding him one thing and then adding something new kind of brings up new questions.
I had no idea tripe and organs weren't started right away. Both places I went to that sell raw dog food and feed their own dogs raw advised me to start with chicken, offal and tripe and said that he needed tripe right away for the digestive enzymes. He's been eating both Tripe and offal since day one 5 months ago.

I just noticed his poos getting a touch harder since giving him the pork brisket which I didn't want to feed him, it was just given to me in my order instead of pork heart.

Hi Maxwell, last night I asked what the offal contains that I'm buying and they said it's a mixture of heart, lung, liver, spleen, kidney and a small amount of tripe. So I guess he's been eating liver for 5 months already.

I think you're right, I should avoid the brisket at the moment. I'm going this weekend to stock up on pork hearts. I still have lots of chicken and turkey necks so I'll give him that with the pork heart. So let me see if I have this right: For now stick with my bony chicken and turkey and add boneless pork heart, once half his meals are the pork heart I can move onto another protein (say boneless beef cubes), once he's eating more proteins I can start to feed meals that are less bone on some days and more bone on other days.

I'm going to cut down on the tripe and offal. I think he's getting way too much, I guess if I'm feeding 20oz a day, he should only be getting 14oz a week of offal and he's getting double that.

LOL @ Cannon butt laugh out loud

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said part of the reason to introduce slowly is so we get used to it. As I said above, it seems like every time I add something new, I get all flustered again. I just need to calm down LOL
Interesting about Max's ears being from sardines/too much food.

Thanks for your responses guys. I feel much better! cheer
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Rexy, Dec 13 8:35 pm

Seamus

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 12:07pm PST 
Aaaah... I'm so glad I'm not the only one that has these doubts! I know, I could never go back to kibble after giving him raw, I just couldn't do that to him either!
I know part of the issue is ME. I get way too worried that I'm not following the "guidelines". I'm working on letting that go a bit. For example, I am realizing his meals don't have to be the EXACT weight every single time, an extra ounce here or there won't kill him LOL.

Cookie, you don't know how many times I've wondered how the heck people with small dogs do this, I can't imagine! Seamus is almost 70 lbs LOL

Thanks so much! I will have to ask if the liver is in the offal and if not then I will start introducing that next.
I had been balancing his meals over a week, rather then daily but his stools were so inconsistent than... I had a really hard time getting them somewhat normal. They were so, so dry before and then I would remove some bone and they would go really soft. However, this was also when I was feeding him too many different kinds of meat too soon so perhaps that was the cause and not the fact that he was getting all meat one day and a really bony meal another day. When I'd started over I was giving a balance per meal (which was easy with chicken necks, offal and tripe) but it's becoming more and more difficult as he's getting more variety.

I had started feeding the tripe once a day when I started because I was told it had lots of good digestive enzymes and they should have it daily to aid in digestion when they first start on raw. I just wasn't sure when I could lower the amount of tripe he eats. He gets about 4oz / day or 8oz every other day now. Is there a minimum amount I should feed per week or does it really not matter?

So I guess I will start feeding him once a day... is there a better time? Morning vs evening? Or again does it not matter? Do you wean them over? Less and less at one meal until they're just getting snacks (what does a snack consist of? just a chicken neck maybe)? Is the hunger puke just something that happens while they're getting used to eating once a day? I really think once a will help a lot! I'm not sure Seamus will love it too much, he's really into his routine 2 meals a day confused

So I guess with Seamus the chicken necks are okay... he does eat kind of fast but he has not once choked on a bone and has never had any issues with the chicken necks... Maybe because he eats them frozen he chews better? He always seems to chew things pretty well.

Cookie, thanks so much for your help!
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Rexy, Dec 13 8:35 pm

Seamus

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 7:43am PST 
Also, once I get Seamus on pork and I can mix pork, turkey and chicken, what would you recommend for chicken? As I said I'd been feeding necks but maybe they're too small? He hasn't had any issues so far but maybe I should be feeding something else. I hate dealing with ground so I see the new place sells chicken carcass listed as "very meaty with backs attached". How much does a carcass weight? GUess I'll have to be chopping all that up as well since I only feed 10oz per feeding and have to get tripe or offal in there as well. Or should I just stop feeding chicken?
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Rexy, Dec 13 8:35 pm

Seamus

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 7:19am PST 
Hi All, Haven't been on in a long while! I was on a few months back and got some great advice about starting my dog eating raw. I had already been feeding him raw for a few weeks at that point and I remember (I think it was Maxwell) was surprised that I had been feeding my pooch so many different kinds of meat so quickly. Where I had been purchasing food, they had started me on chicken but very quickly added in lamb, pork, beef & mackerel.
Anyway, to make a long story short I got thinking that Maxwell was right, I was having a very difficult time getting Seamus' poop regulated and decided to start over.
I started feeding Seamus chicken, offal and tripe only. I also bought some probiotics and had him on them for about a month. Slowly everything got back to normal and looked good. Then I slowly introduced ground turkey until he was only eating turkey and then went to turkey necks. So then he was eating chicken (someone told me it was okay to feed him chicken necks but I've since become leery of that as I've read they can be too small for larger dogs). and turkey and offal and tripe.
Now I've started moving him onto pork. I had some pork hearts already so I started adding small pieces of pork heart, I thought heart was best as his poop was getting a bit hard on the turkey necks so thought adding some more "meat only" would be best for him... however when I went to buy more food they didn't have pork hearts and gave me pork brisket instead (I had placed an order and picked it up in a big bag and there was supposed to be heart but realized there wasn't once I got home).
Anyway, I'm going to a new place this weekend that has a very large selection of everything so will get more hearts as the brisket I think is far too bony.
This is also part of my question... once I start feeding him things that are bonier like brisket, how do I go about that?? He only gets 10oz per feeding, briskets are big... plus he gets trip or offal (rotate on a daily basis) at every meal... I've been cutting the brisket which is difficult since Seamus only seems to like his raw food fed frozen. Not to mention I've been having to keep turkey or chicken in his meal as I'm just switching... How do you go about this?
I'm finding it hard with only feeding him 10oz to give him the amount of bone vs meat he needs... how the heck do you only give 1oz of bone per feeding?
My next question is about the tripe and offal... should he still be getting those at every feeding? I was feeding him offal at his morning meal and tripe at his evening meal and then I was told to do one day tripe both meals and one day offal both meals so I've been doing that... but does he continue to always get tripe and offal on a regular basis like that?
I also had a question about liver, I see liver is supposed to be 5% and he hasn't been getting any liver. Is this included in the offal?? Or do I have to slowly introduce liver as well? The place I'm going to start purchasing my food has turkey, pork and beef liver. Do I just pick a kind and start that maybe once I get pork fully introduced? Also, once you introduce a food it's okay to mix them right?
I'm thinking I'd like to get him switched over to one meal a day opposed to two as it's proving way too difficult to get all the stuff he needs into 2 meals. I'm having to cut things up and I worry some stuff with bone is too small and it's generally a pain in the butt. I also feel like it's getting really complicated having to look up the bone content in each different item and trying to figure out what percentage to give him for the weight he's getting. Maybe I'm being too literal with everything but I'm not sure how far I can veer away from the recommendations.
I've been getting really frustrated and have contemplated switching back to kibble a few times, but I don't want to do that either.
Okay! So those are my questions for now.
Thanks all!
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Rexy, Dec 13 8:35 pm

Raw Food Diet > Newbie thread: Everything you need to know about proteins and cuts!

Seamus

Barked: Wed Aug 29, '12 7:36am PST 
Does anyone feed herring? I usually feed mackerel but found a place closer to home that offers herring.
[notify]
» There has since been 28 posts. Last posting by Jasper, Sep 10 12:56 am

Raw Food Diet > Poop Question
Seamus

Barked: Tue Aug 21, '12 7:04am PST 
LOL Maxwell, that's how I feel; slow! thinking

Well, after Seamus had that really soft poop I tried feeding him each meal with meat and a bit of bone (rather than a few meals of meat only and than one larger bony meal) he didn't poop for 2 days, than when he did it was super soft... so I've added a bit more bone using bone in ground chicken and we're back to the half crumbly half soft poop. Oi! confused

Guess I'll continue to play around and make note.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Aug 25 3:13 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Scruffy's Wisdom Panel results!!

Seamus

Barked: Mon Aug 20, '12 12:02pm PST 
We also did a Wisdom Panel on our mutt and were actually quite satisfied with the results... I do always say it would be interesting to do it again and see if they get the same results lol

Seamus came back 1/4 Bouvier on one side with the rest being mixed breed and 1/8 Golden on the other side with the rest being mixed. The mixed breed showed traces of Newf, Boarder Collie, Airedale Terrier... but those are very small percentage and could be as far back as third generation. I wouldn't expect to see much newf if his great grandmother only had 4% newf in her.

When I looked up pictures of Bouviers without the docked tail and the fancy grooming he actually does resemble one. His personality traits seem to match. Either way I thought it was fun to do... but it WOULD be interesting to see the same dog tested twice wink
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Scruffy (RIP), Aug 22 7:26 pm

Raw Food Diet > Chicken Carcass?

Seamus

Barked: Mon Aug 20, '12 9:53am PST 
Thanks for everyone's replies, perhaps I should give them a try. The place where I buy my dog food has chicken carcass that says it's "very meaty with backs attached" for $0.80 / lb.
The place I mentioned in my above post is actually a butcher I tried recently. I saw his sign for the raw dog food and asked if it was fairly meaty and he said yes... His price would work out to be $0.63 / lb.
Where I currently purchase my dog food sells ground chicken w/ bone in for $1.30 / lb. They don't sell whole chicken but at the butcher last week I bought a whole chicken that was about 4.5 lbs for around $12 or $13 so definitely not as cheap!
This butcher also sells turkey necks, $57 for 45 lbs. I can get a single neck from my regular place so I think I'll give it a try from there and if he likes them I will buy a box... I think I will need to buy a freezer soon!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Aug 25 3:14 am

Seamus

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '12 12:51pm PST 
Thanks very much Ember and Saya.
No I'm not planning on making chicken the base of his diet, I just didn't know if carcass was any good to feed. I thought it sounded really cheap so I'm guessing it's not worth it and probably just all bone.
I've been feeding things like pork and beef cheek, pork heart, pork tongue, beef brisket, lamb shank and some ground chicken with bone. I haven't actually started with chicken yet and didn't know if this was a good deal or not.
I'm guessing it's the frames as you mentioned Ember and in that case I won't bother.
Thanks!
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Aug 25 3:14 am

Seamus

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '12 11:30am PST 
Can I feed chicken carcass? Do I have to do anything with it? A butcher near me sells whole chicken carcass 40 lbs for $25.
I haven't fed Seamus chicken yet except for ground.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by , Aug 25 3:14 am

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.