Postings by Guest ID 1121510

GO!

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > My treats are boring

Barked: Thu Oct 25, '12 9:08pm PST 
I'm going to try liver next week. Last night I used turkey, tripe favored beef that did stink a bit while cooking. Fish favored beef and what my dog liked the most was apple cider vinegar favored beef and turkey.

I have yet to find a dog that didn't love my homemade treats. Even the really picky ones. It would seem mines is just getting bored of it. Looking forward to seeing how the liver turned out. Also considering making some mint cookies.

Just for the record, despite all the different treats she still didn't enjoy the clicker training. I'm always looking for new tools to use while training and I'm thinking the clicker is a completely different from the treat, voice and toy training she is use to where she follows directions and is rewarded by following. Clicker, the way we learned it the dog is suppose to find out themselves what to do to get the treat. That is why I'm really trying hard to raise the value of these treats.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Oct 25 9:08 pm

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > My treats are boring

Barked: Wed Oct 24, '12 10:53am PST 
Let me just say that my dogs get the very best treats ever made. I make my own usually using dehydrated beef. At first they loved them and now I noticed that it is getting a little boring and they aren't willing to work for it.

I just recently started clicker training and I need treats that will get them more excited. None of the store brand I've ever tried worked for this and I'm very careful with ingredients to avoid allergies with my IBS dog. It looks like I'll be stuck making my own which I'm fine with though I would like some ideas.

I would like treats that have strong scent that varies from one to another. Meat I have the most access to is beef and soon beef liver. All my other meat comes with bone so making treats out of it would be hard. Going to get a box of turkey chunks but it isn't going to be here until next month. If at all possible I would also love to get a fishy smell on something without it costing too much money.

Edit: I have real triple chunk tripe that I'm afraid to put into my dehydrator. Not to mention going through the process of scraping off off all the fat which would seem like a waste of good tripe. Maybe I could soak some beef in with the tripe for awhile and then put that into the dehydrator?
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Oct 25 9:08 pm

Dog Health > Rabies Vaccine

Barked: Mon Sep 17, '12 7:05pm PST 
They didn't tell me what was causing the bacteria infections. Only that she had a fever, bad diarrhea, lost appetite and lethargic.

So instead of using the antibiotics I will first try to use a probiotic "natural defense", and slippery elm. I'm willing to buy lyssin online I just need to know of a trusted seller to buy it from. I spoke with 3 homeopathic local sellers and they never heard it. I gave one my number and they are going to check and see if they can get it for me but have no idea if they will be able to or a timeline of when to expect it.

Since she will only eat a little what should I feed her? Lots of bone? Grind up food for easier chewing? Lean meat with no fat? This is a raw fed dog. I don't think I made that clear before in this thread.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Oscar, Sep 17 9:16 pm

Barked: Mon Sep 17, '12 4:28pm PST 
"35. OHIO RABIES LAWS -- The Ohio Department of Health (614-752-1029) said there is no "state law" on rabies immunization -- it is determined by the counties."

It is not in the link that Lilith was kind of enough to link for me because those are related to the state. In Ohio it is related to the county.

Source: "http://www.dogs4dogs.com/rabies-laws"

To further this I did mention to this the vet who told me that yes I could get the titer test in place of the vaccine in this county. The concept of biting is a very debatable subject. Dogs with the vaccine can still be held in quarantine or destroyed in the event of a bite. Also, it is state law that all dogs must remain on leash when off the owners property. However, the police don't take any measure to back up this law so it is up to the property owner who the dog was in to take civil action against the dog/owner if needed. Laws are debatable and I really don't want to keep going on with this. What I do want is to get my dog better.

The vet confirmed that she did have a fever and she has lost over 5 pounds. They recommend antibiotics and then when I pressed further admitted to me that the vets dog didn't get better until the mixed the antibiotics with probiotics.

If anyone knows where I can get lyssin at that would be of great help. Found a few places online that do not take paypal so I'm a little worried about handing over my card to them.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Oscar, Sep 17 9:16 pm

Behavior & Training > How NOT to handle resource guarding

Barked: Mon Sep 17, '12 2:21pm PST 
That was pretty bad. Heard some bad things about ceaser but up until now I haven't seen any. Based off that video it seems like he was begging the dog to bite him.

I am not a 100% hands off person when it comes to training as I've only spoken to 1 person who did 100% positive training and they told me it wouldn't work on my GSD so I'd be wasting my money. My GSD had resource guarding issues that I had to get out of her in a hurry as it was becoming a threat. So I took her food bowl and held it. We played the watch me game for half the bowl and I let her eat the other half. I only did it with half the bowl because I wanted her to still get the enjoyment of eating. Added in the leave it to the game where she had to leave the bowl of food for about 15 seconds and she responded well to that to. I'm not sure if my way is the official way to handle this but it is how I went about it and I've used on a few shelter dogs with resource guarding with great success and never once did I have to touch or threaten the dogs. I think the trick was I started out by holding the bowl and getting the dog use to the game before letting them dig in and try to break them away from it
[notify]
» There has since been 74 posts. Last posting by Tiller (Skansen's Ira in the M, Sep 19 1:06 pm

Barked: Mon Sep 17, '12 1:47pm PST 
Thank you for all your help. I understand the risk running without vaccine your dog. The risk is raised for someone like me as I enjoy taking my dog to public events where the risk of being found out increases. This is what force me to make the decision to get the vaccine and I just crossed my fingers and hoped nothing bad would come from it.

I looked for Quarrantined even with Rabies Vaccine thread but could not find it using the forum search engine. I also couldn't find anyone that sells lyssin. I have increased her fish oil intake.

I called the vet and they told me to bring her back in to so they can check her out. They are interested in helping me with this. The lost of appetite is what worries me the most. This is a dog who has never refused food. She will eat herself sick if you let her.

I could be wrong but Ohio the law regarding the rabies vaccine is county based. So I'm going to have do a lot of digging to find out if it possible to get a exemption. It is something I'm willing to do if the future titer test prove immunity.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Oscar, Sep 17 9:16 pm

Food & Nutrition > Very small appetite

Barked: Sat Sep 15, '12 8:34pm PST 
She is eating more now. I have also been bringing her into my formal training classes and going through the exercises with the other dogs have really helped her a lot. Even though I already taught her what they were going over it still seemed to help her a great deal to go through it with the other dogs. Maybe it was all the praise she was getting for performance.

Took her to the vet today. He said she looks fine. Could use another 5 pounds as she is currently about 2.5 on the scale which is what I was thinking but overall she is in great health.

The anxiety is calming down as a result of the inclass training so I plan on keeping up with it. We have a long road ahead of but we are headed towards the agility route as this dog loves to run and jump. My goal is to get her to understand that if she listens to me I will make sure she gets plenty of time to do the things she enjoys.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Sep 18 6:46 am

Barked: Sat Sep 15, '12 8:25pm PST 
I just got my GSD her 3 year rabies shot. I wasn't going to do it but changed my mind when I looked at the cost of testing and how much of a fight I would have to go through to legally avoid it. Didn't have a problem the first time so why this time?

About 4 hours after her shot she had nothing be liquid stool. Tonight I offered her a little food but she refused so I put it away. Should probably have fasted her anyway but didn't realize how serious it was until she refused the food which she has never done. Then she had another pile of liquid stool.

I put some pedialyte into her water bowl to keep her from getting dehydrated. Going to pick up some lyssin tomorrow if my health stores have it in stock. Not sure how much to give for a 80 pound so I was considering just going with 30c?

I will take the rabies vaccine and all vaccines more serious in the future and will be getting the titer test. I also plan on documenting all of this with the vet and hoping to get them to sign this to support my attempt of refusing the rabies vaccine 3 years from now.
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Oscar, Sep 17 9:16 pm

Barked: Thu Jul 19, '12 8:37pm PST 
Thank you for the reply. Her last vet visit was 2 days before arriving with me. The last owner thought it best to vaccinate her again before given her to me which was stupid because the dog was given her 3 year rabies less than a year ago.

I went over the vet notes and it was pretty consistent with what the shelter reported. Underweight and otherwise healthy. At some time in her life she had worms and had lacerations on her body but that was over a year ago and with a different owner. This poor dog has been in and out of the shelter and apparently has had a very hard life.

The dogs don't eat together. I had thought that was part of the problem and stopped that within the first few days.

I'd take her to the vet but I really can't afford the expensive test that would get us anywhere. Stool sample was recently checked. Getting into the GI testing and behaviorist and the cost get to be way too much.

If stress is the problem I've been slowly correcting that with obedience training. She had some very bad anxiety. Destroyed my crate when I left her alone for a few hours. Was fine in the crate when I was home but the second I left she became a different dog. And yes, my dogs are exercised daily and get more than enough exercise. My house wasn't destroyed, just the crate and for that I count myself lucky as I wasn't aware that she already knew the rules.

Her anxiety is slowly getting better. She doesn't try to hide as much. Is paying more attention to me. Is learning that a open door means sit and wait and not rush out. I've taken time out of my day to give her one on one obedience training which should go a long way towards helping with that stress. Most commands she responds the first time. Recalls, not so much but I've been using treats with a dog who, doesn't like to eat. I have some toys she likes and we are going to use those for recalls for now.

I've only had her for a little less than a month. Her last owner can't really believe her far she came and tells me she isn't even the same out of control dog anymore. I'm going to give it another month and if I can't get her any more weight we are going to go start looking at doing some labs. Paid over 2,000 on labs for my other dog and nothing was ever positive. For months I watched her suffer as we did test after test without any results. I even tried seeing different vets transferring over all my history each time until I found a vet I liked a lot but still didn't give me the results I wanted. I guess I can't let these bad experiences turn me against vets. I wasted so much money on a problem that I finally figured out how to cure on my own. Cost me a fortune and about cost my dog her life and I have a whole book on vet notes to prove it.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Sep 18 6:46 am

Barked: Thu Jul 19, '12 1:36pm PST 
I have husky lab mix who isn't a picky eater. The dog just isn't motivated to eat, anything. First I'll go through a little history of this dog and then what I've done to try to resolve the problem.

The owner before me adopted the dog from the shelter. She was underweight then. The dog was eating cheap kibble but, only enough to live and nothing more. She had access to food 24/7. They even tried mixing her food with wet dog food without much luck. This dog has issues with anxiety as well and the family couldn't handle it. Shelter said they would have to put the dog to sleep if they returned it so I took the dog instead.

So now I have the dog. I tried to feed the beneful they gave me until the dog was use to the house and she refused it for over 48 hours. Looked starved but refused to eat. So I tried taste of the wild. She ate about 2 cups of that one night and refused it the next day and the day after. Went through and tried all the different types of taste of the wild and fromm, and a few other grain free good foods with some she loved at the start and hated later and others she just spit out after trying them.

I'm a raw dog feeder who in the past have had bad luck converting dogs to raw due to sensitive stomachs. I've had the worst luck ever with dogs having sensitive stomachs. Since this dog was skinny I didn't want to move her to raw until she put on some weight but the kibble just wasn't working. So we moved on to raw. First 72 hours was nothing but success and she gained 3 pounds. Then she went back to her picky self. She'll eat, just not much. I can get her to eat maybe a little under a pound a day if I break it into 2 feedings which is still better luck than I had with kibble. She isn't gaining weight on that. Instead she is slowly losing it.

Looking through all her vet records over the last couple of years that the previous owners kept together for me it shows that this has always been a problem for this dog. Do I just assume that that is what she wants? Or do I keep trying to find ways to correct it? I can't leave food out 24/7. I have another dog who is now a little over weight, eats everything in sight, and had a issue with bloat.

I think what shocked me the most is that she even gets bored of chewing on bully sticks. Her biggest plus is a iron stomach. Would love it if I could get her to eat little more.

Edit: I'd give her a 2 on the scale. I can clearly see her ribs and hip bones.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Sep 18 6:46 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.