Koda

Barked: Thu Aug 29, '13 1:54pm PST 
Good news...it didn't happen today!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Sep 3 5:15 am

Akita > How much should he weigh?
Koda

Barked: Wed Aug 28, '13 1:50pm PST 
Thanks! I appreciate the response. I do love him dearly. However, now that we are back at work again, he's been getting overly excited when we get home and he pees in his crate. THAT does NOT make me happy lol. It's always fresh, like he's so excited he just can't contain it. Any ideas how to prevent this? Our hours are the same as they previously were when he was younger, and never had problems. All summer he was rarely in his crate though....any helpful ideas? Cleaning the pee is driving me insane! shrugshrug
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Sep 3 5:15 am

Akita > I have decided on an Akita.

Koda

Barked: Mon Aug 26, '13 7:57pm PST 
From experience, Ohio is a difficult market to find an Akita in. I researched extensively in many of the surrounding states. I no longer live in Ohio, but it was an area I searched. I know there is at least one VERY reputable breeder in Cincy. We got Koda in Tennesse, so we drove a good 4 hours there and then 4 back home.

I strongly advise asking the breeder many questions. Some that we asked were 1) How often they took the parents in public. 2) What is their disposition with children and other dogs. 3) Size and activity levels. 4) About health tests. Those are just to name a few. Then of course, we went and saw both the mother and father. They exhibited completely normal behavior for Akitas, especially since we were in their home and they were not inside with their human "kids". I know Koda wouldn't handle that situation very well if he was not able to be beside our daughter and myself if a stranger was around.

Visit, ask about past bloodlines, any parental health issues, and ask about prior generations too. A good breeder will have lots of information for you. Remember, it's not bad to be picky. This is a life long companion, and you want the pup with the temperment that matches your family lifestyle. When looking at the pups, we chose the social, alter, yet docile around familiar people one and I couldn't be more pleased with what we got. An Akita is a great dog, and like I've said before, I'll never own another large breed, or at least not another wihtout an Akita present. They are magnificant creatures.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Koda, Aug 26 7:57 pm

Akita > Information is confusing me

Koda

Barked: Mon Aug 26, '13 4:39pm PST 
I agree with the above. I strongly believe it's how you raise the animal. I think any dog can do poorly with children if not exposed to them as a pup. Our 1 year old Akita, Koda, is magnificent with our daughter. She is now three and was 2 when we got him. We brought him home at 9/10 weeks. As long as you get your pup from a well known, reputable breeder, who truly understands the breed's disposition and isn't looking to make a quick buck, you'll be good. He is loyal, protective (but not overly so), gentle, though if our daughter is being too rough he lets her know, but has never once tried to nip at her. He is also great with our 9 year old pomeranian, though we had to put a bone up because the two were getting jealous. They are like brothers...that is the best way to describe it.

Good luck! An Akita is a lot of work, but I'll never own another large breed again. I''m an Akita owner for life!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Koda, Aug 26 4:39 pm

Koda

Barked: Mon Aug 26, '13 4:30pm PST 
So update here: Koda is doing splendidly! Quick question...is this normal: He was eating about 4 cups a day, but the past few weeks he's been eating between 6-7 cups of food a day. He is now over a year old and according to the bag guidelines (though I've always fed him on his needs, not the bags suggestions) he should be slowing down on food consumption. I'm not complaining though. He needed to put on some weight. Is this normal though? Have your Akitas done this? Should I expect him to be going through quite the growth spurt with all of his extra eating? By the way, he is still lean, this extra food has not caused him to become overweight. He's just looking a bit more filled out.

I just wondered if this was normal and if yours did it, what you saw in their growth. Thanks!
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Sep 3 5:15 am

Koda

Barked: Wed Jun 26, '13 7:22am PST 
Thanks! I shouldn't say I don't "free feed" per se. I give him 2 cups in the morning, let him eat throughout the morning, then 2 more in the afternoon, and so on. So, technically I guess that is free feeding. Like you, I do it more now than in the other months. It's so hot here in Kentucky that he doesn't like to eat as much in the afternoon, but chows down in the evening! He really eats like a boss, and I suppose my biggest concern was that I was doing something wrong.
I did expect him to slow his weight gain down in the summer months, simply due to the warmer weather and such. But, like I said, our vet assured me he was no where close to being full grown, which in the back of my mind I know from all my research, but I was just concerned about him. I guess if he's growing taller, he has to fill out at some point! I believe right now he is 27-28" at the shoulders...I'll have to measure again in case I was off. But he is pretty tall. We went to a store where we encountered a 2 year old Great Dane...I was expecting him to look really short, and while he was shorter, he wasn't THAT much smaller. My perception of size is...not good! thinking
Thanks for all the input and info! I very much appreciate it, and I look forward to all the changes Koda will make in years to come!
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Sep 3 5:15 am

Food & Nutrition > Suggestions of new food?!

Koda

Barked: Tue Jun 25, '13 2:50pm PST 
We put Koda on Blue Buffalo. He is very active and needed a grain free, high protein diet. He loves it, though I think he is going through a growth spurt as he is very lean but muscular, and eats 5-6 cups a day. He is also very active. I like this food, and I think it would be a good switch to another grain free food.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Hank, Jun 28 1:32 pm

Koda

Barked: Tue Jun 25, '13 12:31pm PST 
A small bump here...

To update, Koda is still about the same weight. We switched him to a higher protein food...Blue Buffalo. We don't free feed, he gets 2 cups 3x a day. If he requires less, then less. So between 5-6 cups.

At the vet today she said she felt is ribs, which were fine, and said he had VERY toned leg muscles which is great according to her. She said he's growing his height right now, weight will be later.

Anyone else use Blue? How much do you feed?
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Sep 3 5:15 am

Akita > "The Turn" (PLEASE HELP)

Koda

Barked: Tue Jun 25, '13 12:29pm PST 
It definitely sounds behavioral and not like aggression. However, I don't see sending him to a trainer as a help since it is proven that the best training happens WITH the owner instead of away from them. I would say this is especially true with a breed such as the Akita. They bond so closely with us, I don't see the advantage in sending him away.

For a while when we walked Koda, he got really excited at one point, pulled some and jumped around. It was a young puppy thing. We never really experienced this after 6 months of age. He just "grew out of it". Now, Koda walks like a well mannered juvenile on leash.

Try a pronged collar first. It was reccommended to us by a trainer. The chokers can hurt their throats, but with large breeds, like the Akita, they are helpful. We noticed a big difference in Koda. The trainer explained that as humans, we view it as harmful and like a Medeival torcher device, but with these large/giant breeds, they don't feel it the same way we do, due to all their fur and skin. I may get some flack for this, but I've talked to many Akita owners who use these and they help greatly. I would suggest that for walks and see what results you get. The key is to have a trainer show you how to properly use it. It needs to be worn up high and not "low".
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Jun 30 5:14 am

Koda

Barked: Sun Jun 2, '13 7:20am PST 
My pup, Koda, is almost 10 months old now. Last month at the vet he was 75 lbs, but the poor guy was there due to an infection that he had had for a few days,causing him not to eat, but poo ALL THE TIME. (My apologies for those details.) Could that have affected his weight?

Anyway, he's perfectly fine now. But I'm curious if he is on the small side or if this is normal. As a young pup he was on track, even according to the adult weight calculator here on dogster, to be 120 lbs full grown. He will be weighed in a few days but my guess is that he is between 80-85 lbs. He is 25 inches tall, looks VERY lean, but not skinny, and our vet said he is perfectly healthy and just has A LOT of growing left to do. He does have a great deal of excess skin still. I was just wondering your opinions since you all have had Akitas before. Any responses would be great! Thanks!
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Sep 3 5:15 am

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.