Postings by Guest ID 1088065

GO!

Behavior & Training > Dog with Animal Aggression

Barked: Mon Dec 31, '12 11:13am PST 
Thank all of you for your responses. I was afraid most of you might say to euthanize her. Maddie and her brother (Cooper) are the first mixed breed dogs that I have ever owned, prior to adopting them I only bought pure bred dogs. In February this year, I had to euthanize my two year old aussie due to cancer. It was the first time for me to ever see a dog euthanized, and it ripped my heart out to watch the life disappear from his eyes. From that day on I decided to "save a dogs life" and I adopted two puppies that might not otherwise have a home. It seems so ironic that not even a full year later I may have to euthanize a dog that I thought I was saving. What makes the situation worse is that I'm not sure it is her fault. If she would have ended up in a home that had no other pets this issue might not have happened, or perhaps it is her training and socialization that was the problem..I'm not really certain.

Maddie is not a large dog, she has the build of an English Bulldog only slightly taller. She weighs around 25-30lbs. If you look at her without knowing her past, you would not see a vicious dog. She doesn't really challenge larger dogs, she has gotten a little nippy with a few big dogs in the past, but always backs down and will roll onto her back with most large dogs. My biggest worry is that she might be more willing to challenge a bigger dog once she is full grown, she is going to be fairly short, but you can see that she is going to be very muscular.

My sister's dachshund had pretty large gashes on his hind leg, front leg, by his ear, and a smaller one at the back of his neck. I did not see any bites on his back or stomach, so I believe she must have killed him by grabbing his neck. We were home when it happened and the attack only lasted a couple of minutes, she was actually caught in the act, so I don't know what point she would have ended her attack on him.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Dec 31 3:51 pm

Behavior & Training > Dog with Animal Aggression

Barked: Thu Dec 27, '12 6:54pm PST 
I have a female aussie/english bulldog named Maddie, she is not quite a year old. We adopted Maddie and her brother early this year after we lost our Aussie to cancer.

Maddie has shown animal aggression from an early age, at about 3 months old she latched onto her brother's neck and would not let go for several seconds, she did not draw blood and he was okay. At seven months old she killed our cat who was also their playmate. The cat slept with them every day, so her killing the cat was out of the blue.

This Christmas holiday I was babysitting my sister's dachshund while she was out of town. I was extremely careful and did not let the dachshund spend time with my pups, the dachshund stayed full time in my house during the day and the pups would stay out and play. I have a small 9x13 outdoor kennel that I would put the dachshund in to go to the bathroom. Needless to say, on Christmas day I carried the dachshund out to the kennel to go to the bathroom and in less than 30 minutes time he somehow managed to escape the kennel and get into the backyard with the pups. In a matter of minutes Maddie killed my sisters dog.

Not only is my sister upset (understandably), but my boyfriend and I are both very upset about the situation, and he (my boyfriend) says that Maddie has to go. We have several other animals and cannot risk her killing anymore. I agree we cannot keep her due to the aggressive behavior and our lack of skills in handling her, but can a dog like this be trained and adopted? Will a rescue help find an adopter or help with training? She has not shown any aggressiveness towards people.

Thanks,
Amy
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by , Dec 31 3:51 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.