Postings by Guest ID 1087329

GO!

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Too difficult and time consuming to rescue or adopt

Barked: Wed Mar 7, '12 3:01pm PST 
I have owned dogs since I could first walk. My dogs have all had wonderful lives. I have also adopted children. It is easier to adopt a child than it is to adopt a dog.

The Humane Society (where I used to volunteer) is so picky and judgemental that I wouldn't consider them. Local rescue groups have adoption forms that are pages long,plus home visits and background searches. I GET IT..I know they want to be sure...but call the person's vet, interview the prospective adopter, let them interact with the dog ... or at least list your criteria so we know whether we're going to pass your particular screening..

My friends have given up and gone to the regular classified (yes, backyard breeders) because the process is so awful. I feel the same way. Oddly, when I try to contact local breeders to inquire about buying a "good" dog, they don't call back.

This type of interrogation and judgement makes the world a nice place for irresponsible breeders. They don't make you jump thru hoops. They just want your money.

There are over 3000 dogs listed for adoption between mid Wisconsin and northern Illinois. These dogs sit there while someone arbitrarily decides if you are worthy. That is BS!
[notify]
» There has since been 27 posts. Last posting by Bianca CGC TT HIC Thd ♥, Apr 10 1:49 am

Dachshund > Spine problems

Barked: Thu Jan 26, '12 7:49am PST 
Well, it finally happened. My doxie has developed some undefined spine problem. We are $1500 dollars into diagnostics and meds and still no definitive answer. Frankly we are financially tapped out and now they want to do an MRI and maybe a spinal tap...and probably some future surgery. This is the worst choice I have ever had to make. Considering contacting a rescue and re-homing him with a family who can afford his care.It's a crappy choice.

We are on a fixed income and even tho we have part time jobs - it isn't going to help. Hubby won't consider Care Credit cause he hates revolving payment plans.

Any thoughts?
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jan 26 7:49 am

Dachshund > Could my 'Shawty' refusal to eat after a spanking be a result of pouting?

Barked: Thu Jan 26, '12 7:45am PST 
II were your dog I would bite you. You don't HIT dogs. You train them. Shame shame shame on you.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Jan 7 7:26 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.