Postings by Guest ID 1074496

GO!

Dachshund > Back Surgery Worries

Barked: Thu Dec 1, '11 10:04am PST 
I just posted to the other entry on back surgery - your reaction is totally normal. I freaked out for about the entire first year post surgery.... every time he jumped, acted weird, ran crazy after a cat in the yard I was certain he had hurt his back again (and MANY times I took him back to the vet only to have them tell me to crate him and/or keep an eye on him as he seemed ok). It will get better. YOu will always be cautious, but your dog will improve - just give it time.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Jan 27 4:12 pm

Dachshund > Surgery Concerns - Back

Barked: Thu Dec 1, '11 9:51am PST 
My dog had back surgery almost 2 years ago and the neurosurgeon said he was doing great when I picked him up to bring home (3 or 4 days post op). He was extremely wobbly and I had to hold his little back end when I took him out to potty. I thought the same thing ("THIS is doing great?!") but it does take time. I kept mine confined for almost 8 weeks post surgery and now about 2 years later, aside from what I call the "tipsy walk" (a slight swagger when he walks slowly - which he never does!), you would never know there was anything wrong. He runs and is just as crazy as he was before the surgery... albeit, there is no more going up / down stairs (I have ramps) and no jumping off anything! Give it time - my vet told me to not look for improvement daily but rather in weeks or even months. Ask any person who has had back surgery and they will tell you the same thing - it is a long long recovery.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Dec 1 9:51 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.