Postings by Guest ID 1054875

GO!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

Behavior & Training > Approach-First-Ask-Later(If Ever) People and Kids.

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 9:42am PST 
At the dog park, we regularly have kids running around the park, running up to the dogs, screaming at them, pulling on them, and -- crawling on their hands and knees approaching strange dogs face-to-face. silenced silenced

The parents are usually seen sitting on the park benches engaged in conversation. :/

This is terribly dangerous, and it makes me cringe when I see a child do this.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Oct 17 5:50 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > wisdom panel results

Barked: Thu Sep 27, '12 6:35am PST 
Yes. I would ask for a re-test if you feel it's way off.

When I did mine for Olive, her initial results came back saying she was an American Eskimo mixed with a Jack Russell Terrier. There's just no way that could physically be possible, so I asked for a re-test and they did it without question. They apologized and claimed there was a "mix up" at the lab.

The second results came back Lab/Rottweiler/White Shepherd/Chow cross -- much more believable.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Sep 28 7:57 pm

Dogs and a Clean Home > First time living with dogs and carpet!

Barked: Wed Aug 29, '12 5:50am PST 
In training our puppy, we always said "going outside" when we brought the dog out to teach her the cue. No punishing if they had accidents in the house - just brought them outside and say "go outside".

Now our dog goes to the door or comes to us and whines when she has to go out, and all we have to do is ask "Need to go outside?" and she responds.

Takes a little practice, but most dogs catch on quick.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Dec 13 9:50 pm

Senior Dogs > Prevnting joint problems...

Barked: Wed Aug 29, '12 5:46am PST 
There are many supplements available that are for hip/joint problems. http://www.petsmart.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2767163
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Sep 5 5:50 pm

Raw Food Diet > 1 week and questions on premade raw

Barked: Tue Aug 28, '12 10:35am PST 
Hi there,

As for the mess -- if you live in an area with outdoors, you can feed outdoors. We live in an apartment and feed inside on a rug. We trained Olive since she was a pup to "keep it on your mat". When the rug gets dirty, we just throw it in the wash.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Aug 29 9:14 am

Food & Nutrition > Best puppy foods?

Barked: Tue Aug 28, '12 10:32am PST 
Ginger - Is the warning against foods made/manufactured by Diamond due for any other reasons except for recalls?

Olive was fed Wellness Just For Puppy, and Blue Buffalo Wilderness -- before switching to ToTW. We now do 1/2 raw, 1/2 ToTW.
[notify]
» There has since been 22 posts. Last posting by , Jul 25 10:02 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Olive's NEW Wisdom Panel results.....(these are better!)

Barked: Tue Aug 28, '12 10:13am PST 
@Turner - They called me to explain that there was an error in their lab processing. shrug
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Sep 4 9:08 am

Dog Health > Found out I didn't have Flea Bite Dermititis

Barked: Wed Aug 15, '12 5:36am PST 
Hi Dragon!

Olive (my 1 yr lab mix) developed localized demodectic mange as a puppy - it showed up around her eyes and small patches in the middle of her forehead, and a small patch on her leg - right around 5-6 months old...

The vet recommended dips... but, we thought it was a little severe for a non-contagious and non-bothersome diagnosis. (She wasn't itching or irritated, the spots just looked terrible!) My boyfriend asked about alternative treatments and the vet recommended raw honey and plain whole yogurt! I also fed Olive fish oil supplements for her skin/coat. She was fine after about 2 months.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Aug 15 5:36 am

Food & Nutrition > Help with constant hunger!

Barked: Mon Aug 13, '12 9:10am PST 
I'd bet the people on the Lab board who said your Lab mix was "too thin" said that because they are used to seeing full-bred labs (who are often "thicker") AND, often times, overweight. (Overweight labs are "normal/healthy" to some people!)

Your dog looks healthy. If you can't see/feel bones, I'd assume all is OK.

My mom describes Labs as the "goldfish of the dog world" - and she's right. Olive (my Lab mix) would eat until she died, if given the chance.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Aug 16 10:25 am

Puppy Place > Dogs replacing kids?

Barked: Mon Aug 13, '12 8:01am PST 
I've been called everything from "selfish" to "hateful" for my views on having children.

I personally don't want them - for a number of reasons, but mainly because I can't see myself ever affording children (in the lifestyle I'd like to raise children), and I don't like the thought of having kids (as adults, or children). I feel it should be a personal choice whether to have kids or not. My family is fine with my decision. The most backlash I receive is from perfect strangers and "friends" who have children.

I am one of those people who care about their dog as if it were a kid. I don't mean that I treat the dog like a baby with clothing and diapers -- but I mean, I care about her diet, her grooming, her well-being. I'm beyond a "good pet owner". I'm called things like "crazy dog lady".

Still, I'm hesistant to admit things like "My dog is my kid" - especially in public, because of the outcry from angry parents who feel that a dog can never be compared to a human child. Sadly, I've even lost "friends" over this statement!

These "friends" with human children are quick to quip at my feelings with angry sentiments such as: "Dogs cannot speak", "You don't send a dog to college", "Dogs aren't the same as people", and (my favorite) "Until you have a child, you cannot know love" (Yes, this has actually been said to me.)

Dogs *aren't* the same as human children. I agree.
A dog is a dog -- but I like that about them. Anyone who thinks they can replace a human child with a dog will be disappointed if they're expecting a human child. In order to have a dog, you have to like dogs.

To me, dogs make the perfect "children". I am 26, well employed, in a great apartment, and in a great relationship -- but I still don't see myself ever being in a position where I'd be able to afford children. However, I am in a position where I can afford a dog (and I made damn sure that I was before getting a dog, unlike many of my "friends" who went and had kids without being able to support them.)

Dogs are expensive - but they are (often) not as expensive as human children. I get that. Personally, I like that. Does that lessen their "value" somehow? Some people are so money-driven. I cannot understand sentiments such as "You can't send your dog to college". No, I can't. So what? Many PEOPLE don't go to college. So what? My dog is still an investment -- and yet, my investment is seen as being "less than" in value than theirs.

Do I believe dogs are equivalent in value to people? You know, maybe I do. I do know that I love my dog, I care about her, and I'd do anything for her. I'm tired of being made to feel as if that attitude is "wrong". What is love???
[notify]
» There has since been 61 posts. Last posting by , Aug 20 7:04 pm

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.