Postings by Guest ID 1041057

GO!

(Page 1 of 148: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Behavior & Training > Multi-dog homes and aggression between dogs?

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 11:41am PST 
i agree with Toto, I think SSA is often missed because people have the dogs get along for a while at home (especially when young) and it seems to pop out 'out of nowhere', or their dog has typically no problems with others outside the home. Or may not even have problems with ALL of the same sex at home, just a specific dog or two.

As for me, I took the advice of veteran people in the breed and went with a dog of opposite sex for my newest one, exactly to avoid the problems and potential with SSA at maturity.

I also think intact/sterilized (spayed/neutered) sometimes can influence that, too.

I know bitches of breeds prone to SSA who have problems with not only other females but neutered males....

That said, I think we also tend not to entertain the thought that sometimes some dog just doesn't like another and that's OK too.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Sonja, Jan 24 10:54 am

Choosing the Right Dog > How rare are Canaan dogs?

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 11:32am PST 
3 year old zombie thread....
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jan 23 11:32 am

Behavior & Training > The Yellow Dog Project

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 10:04pm PST 
in everywhere else if your dog needs space, your dog wears a muzzle. about 99% of people leave you alone if so. wink
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jan 22 10:04 pm

Behavior & Training > Clicker training question

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 8:55pm PST 
..and bob bailey is a marker trainer proponent, explicitly not a 'clicker trainer'.. according to seminars attended. laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Jan 23 3:27 am

Sports & Agility > Confused about Some APDT Rally Rules

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 3:41pm PST 
I never said I never intend on trialing - we already do, only that I probably do not intend on trialing in competitive obedience (which I still do hold in esteem)

but if we ever get there, I don't see why not! If I eventually have a dog at that level, why not?

and I don't see the point in stating that someone's opinion is actually, their opinion. Of course it is! all fora are that - an OPINION. the OP asked about food/praise/toys in some venues, that is the actual topic. shrug
[notify]
» There has since been -7 posts. Last posting by Dogster HQ, Jan 22 4:45 pm

Puppy Place > Kinda need some advice ( dad in laws dog)

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 2:54pm PST 
um, you said: "thing is guys we are only allowed 3 animals in our apt complex"

and then I say that an ESA isn't a pet,

and then you say: "Just because legally I CAN have more than 3 doesn't mean I should have more than 3 pets"..

are you looking for advice or just want people to agree with you????? wait, feel free not to answer that.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Tiller (Skansen's Ira in the M, Jan 26 3:06 pm

Behavior & Training > Confused and concerned...

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 10:25am PST 
and why is it even a consideration that Tank might be 'too big'? I mean if he's supposedly an SDiT how can he do his job living outside????
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Dogster HQ, Jan 22 5:26 pm

Puppy Place > Kinda need some advice ( dad in laws dog)

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 8:23pm PST 
if your labrador really is an ESA, he doesn't count towards a pet allowance.
[notify]
» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by Tiller (Skansen's Ira in the M, Jan 26 3:06 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Small breed suggestions

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 3:39pm PST 
get a chodsky wink
[notify]
» There has since been 46 posts. Last posting by Princesse Lily CGN, Jan 26 11:27 am

Sports & Agility > Confused about Some APDT Rally Rules

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 11:31am PST 
yes and no - to expand on the short excerpt above using words from the author:

"I have been training and showing dogs in this sport [competitive obedience] for almost 40 years. It is where my roots are in this fascinating hobby of dogs. Many in the fancy believe strongly in traditional Obedience; I am one of them. However, I also believe that there is an increasingly large number of people with interests in obedience who are looking for an alternative program. I believe Rally should provide the handler the option of training for precision to develop a basis for entering traditional Obedience..."

"It was my hope that Rally would stimulate a general interest in obedience training and that those with more competitive interests would eventually become involved in traditional Obedience. However, I never thought of Rally simply as a stepping stone to traditional Obedience. Looking back to those first four articles published in Front and Finish during the spring of 1999, I presented some ideas of how the exercises of the Open and Utility classes in traditional Obedience could be performed following the general concepts of Rally. I believe there is a place and a need for Rally as a stand-alone program. After obtaining titles in Rally, some of the more competitive people, without a doubt, will continue on into traditional Obedience."

ETA: AKC formally adopted it as a titled event in 2005. Prior to that it was a non-regular event. The book specific mentions APDT rally as having adopted it from this author..
[notify]
» There has since been 21 posts. Last posting by Dogster HQ, Jan 22 4:45 pm

(Page 1 of 148: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.