Postings by Guest ID 1034733

GO!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > Are 2 proteins enough??

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 7:01pm PST 
I've been cooking for our Miniature Schnauzer for about a year. (And, also sometimes using Honest Kitchen Preference which just requires mixing it with water and adding your own protein of choice)

We began using (4) proteins in rotation. Turkey (no chicken. She has been allergic to chicken for a few years) beef, lamb, and fish.

After watching carefully, I've now concluded she is becoming allergic to turkey. So, we are down to (3) proteins. And,without carrying in a gold bullion to pay for lamb, the only choice I have is a frozen ground lamb which is loaded with fat.
And, schnauzers are to have much less fat than most breeds.

So, I am basically down to (2) proteins. Fish and beef.

Are these enough? I just can't think of other meats that are readily available. My various reads have always said variety is best.

BTW: When I make the meals they consist of about 50% protein, 10% organ meat, and the remaining 40% is various lightly steamed veggies, sometimes, egg, cottage cheese, etc plus the calcium.

Thanks Liz
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Mar 6 2:54 pm

Dog Health > Allergies or not?

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 2:47pm PST 
Since Zane did stop itching for 8 weeks, my thoughts are that it was indeed food allergies. If it was environmental wouldn't at least some the the itching have continued during that period? I knew early on our Miniature Schnauzer was allergic go chicken, so stayed away from any kibble that contained chicken. But, tried countless other kibble with other proteins . Still she itched. Finally, I tried feeding a homecooked food. (Raw is not on option here). Most of her scratching stopped. It has now been months since we put away the kibble.
I also, think I would go back to the raw or a basic homecooked for a few weeks. Try lamb, or beef or a whitefish along with just vegetables. See what results from that method. After that, think I would consult the vet

Hope you can ring out the problem
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jan 8 3:39 pm

Dog Health > Experience with allergy tests?

Barked: Sun Dec 30, '12 11:49am PST 
At one time I investigated the Nutriscan saliva test. Read some reviews and many were not favorable. Since I thought most of our dog's problems were food issues,and hoping to avoid the expensive lab work, I began homecooking for her. Must say, within weeks she was a different dog. No allergy issues and more energy.
Betsy
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Sep 22 2:42 pm

Food & Nutrition > Is it OK to feed primarily Honest Kitchen and occasionally Kibble?

Barked: Wed Dec 26, '12 6:42pm PST 
Thanks. Substituting kibble occasionally certainly appears not to have harmed the very handsome Ridley .
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Dec 27 5:58 am

Food & Nutrition > Picky eater alert!

Barked: Wed Dec 26, '12 1:53pm PST 
It's difficult to know what to do when you don't know if he's just being picky or has a health problem

Since dogs require proteins more than anything else, I'd cook him up some ground beef, poultry, etc .And mix into the kibble with some of the meat juices. Also, add some hardboiled eggs, cottage cheese. Hopefully, that should peak his interest.

Then, carry on until you can consult with your vet.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Jan 2 8:38 pm

Food & Nutrition > Is it OK to feed primarily Honest Kitchen and occasionally Kibble?

Barked: Wed Dec 26, '12 1:00pm PST 
I've been feeding our miniature schnauzer home cooked for about 6 months with good success.
But,in November, circumstances requiring frequent travel made me switch her to Honest Kitchen Preference(the kind that requires adding a raw , or; in my case, home cooked protein) .

Spiffy seams to be doing great on the H K. Energy level very good, coat and eyes shine and I'm quite happy with it.

We realize I could by the H K with an added protein in it, but like to vary the meats/poultry/fish every few days and don't , at this point, want to buy that many boxes of it.

I try to be sure there are enough containers in the freezer of her cooked proteins on hand for my husband who is her current feeder. Let's just say, he is not one to do much in the kitchen, And, this has been working out "fairly" well.

I would like to get a bag of Wellness Core Kibble to keep on hand for him to use in case he forgets to defrost the protein packs.

Is there any harm in feeding the Honest Kitchen Preference and occasionally feeding a meal of the kibble? Little seems to bother her stomach.

I know it is not good to feed kibble while feeding raw due to stomach not digesting both the same way which can cause problems.

Thanks
Liz

happy dance
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Dec 27 5:58 am

Dog Health > HOT SPOTS!!! :(

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '12 8:15am PST 
I'd certainly begin the fish oil. And, for the current hotspots I'd try Vetericyn

vetericyn.com I swear by it for all types of skin irritations. We've been using it for about 8 months and it has saved me from more than one office visit.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Aug 16 8:15 am

Dog Health > The Bumps have Returned!!!

Barked: Sun Aug 12, '12 5:48am PST 
Wish I'd seen this post earlier.
If you think the collar might bother her, you might consider a harness collar that wouldn't rub the neck.
And, photos for the vet would be a great help.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Aug 12 5:48 am

Dog Health > home testing for some allergies

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '12 6:23pm PST 
Thanks for the reply.
I was reading about this method and may have to consider it. And, go back to feeding kibble for a few weeks. I know that 6 months ago, she had no problems with it. Then begin with one home cooked protein and feed this for a few weeks to make sure it doesn't cause any problems. Amd. advance onto the next protein. She's been doing so well on the combination home and kibble. Has more energy, great coat,etc. that I hate to go back a few steps.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Aug 11 6:23 pm

Dog Health > Alternatives to Frontline Plus

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '12 6:13pm PST 
Advantage is another topical treatment. I do not know if the primary ingredient is the same as Frontline Plus.

The pill,Confortis is also used/ You might check with you vet regarding this one.
Also, many people with natural ingredients such as Neem oil, and mixes of essential oils. My Spiffy is very allergic to flea allergies and I do treat with Frontline Plus with no problem, but also spray her with oils when we take her for a walk.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Aug 11 6:13 pm

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.