Postings by Guest ID 1022236

GO!

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

Puppy Place > Harness size?

Barked: Fri Mar 14, '14 3:17am PST 
A very close relative is about to adopt a 9 week old Havanese puppy, male and to this point the largest in the litter. The very reputable breeder has suggested a harness instead of a collar. Suggested sizes, please? We would like to purchase the harness before "possession" due to some travel, "issues."
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Elijah, Mar 18 4:07 pm

Puppy Place > Puppy "greeting"

Barked: Wed Mar 5, '14 10:44am PST 
Since I didn't receive a response through this form, we contacted several breeders.
FYI. Yes, my concerns are legitimate given the "high prey drive" of our SP, and many Havanese, too.
FYI, it was suggested that we put the puppy in a harness with a leash when introducing the puppy to our SP and, of course, introduce slowly and carefully. Havanese puppies are very active and fast, and furry, etc. The leash and harness should help our SP understand that the puppy is not a rabbit or squirrel. The leash and harness are also recommended for other purposes such as "free potty time" in the yard ... "semi-free" so as one doesn't have to chase the puppy in its' new freedom.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Mar 8 1:04 pm

Havanese > Havanese Puppy exercise pen

Barked: Wed Mar 5, '14 10:38am PST 
About to adopt a new purebred Havanese puppy. Reputable breeder has suggested containment in the yard, when using the yard for several purposes, for the first several months. We're considering purchasing an exercise pen. What size? Particularly what height is recommended as we've learned from several legitimate sources that Havanese, given their size, are quite athletic and strong "jumpers?"
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Mar 5 10:38 am

Puppy Place > What kind of Dog is My new puppy??? Osi !

Barked: Sat Mar 1, '14 1:46pm PST 
The long legs suggest some Standard Poodle in the mix.
Facial structure/ears and hair suggest some Malinois or some form of Shepherd in the mix.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Sonja, Mar 3 2:57 pm

Puppy Place > Puppy "greeting"

Barked: Mon Feb 24, '14 6:57am PST 
I'm posting this here, too, due to the immediacy of the need for an answer.
A VERY close relative will be obtaining a 9 week, purebred Havanese puppy soon. Our wonderful, adopted, purebred Standard Poodle is very friendly, curious, amiable with almost all other dogs and people. However, on a few occasions, when we are out walking and a unleashed "foreign dog" makes some "threatening gestures" or tries to "jump up" on us, our SP becomes instantly protective ... snarling, teeth bared, confontive, etc. until the "danger" is removed than he instantly calms down. Has not bitten yet but he does appear "ferocious" ... it has always worked to "chase away" the "stranger."
Also, he is a "hunter" naturally, points, etc. when in "nature" and on a long leash and becomes an instant "sled dog" when a rabbit or squirrel runs away from us. High prey drive, apparently, he always tries to "sneak up" on them if he sees them. He obeys, often stubbornly, of course, but still there is that instant response.
Question, finally, do we have reason to be concerned about introducing him to a small, furry, active, 9 week old Havanese puppy?
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Mar 8 1:04 pm

Puppy Place > Breed ideas?

Barked: Mon Feb 24, '14 6:47am PST 
From the "profile page," including, specifically, pictures and general characteristics, likely a Havanese or Havanese mix. Does it "bounce" when it runs because there is a difference in lengths between front and back legs?
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Scruffy (RIP), Feb 25 11:22 am

Havanese > Weather issues

Barked: Mon Feb 24, '14 6:43am PST 
Havanese, according to every owner/show competitor I've spoken to as well as legitimate websites are VERY tough, sturdy dogs compared to other smaller breeds. Certainly quite able to manage the sort of winter weather experienced in TN .. well, until lately.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Feb 24 6:43 am

Standard Poodle > Welcoming new puppy

Barked: Sun Feb 23, '14 6:56pm PST 
A very close relative has purchased a new Havanese puppy. As Thor, our 3 year old SP will be greeting the puppy soon, I have a concern. Thor is simply excellent with other dogs, people ... amiable, interested, friendly, etc. unless a threatening situation occurs then he can be very protective ... snarling, teeth bared, etc. but no biting until the threat is removed. He instantly calms down.
My concern emerges from his "hunting behaviors," specifically squirrels and rabbits. He's great on walks UNTIL a squirrel or rabbit appears and then he becomes a very stubborn, totally committed "sled dog" attempting to drag us down the street if the "critter" runs away. Otherwise he attempts to "sneak up" on it. He does ultimately obey, albeit with some stubbornness, but his reaction is instantaneous. Should we have any concerns about his reaction to a small, furry, 9 week old Havanese?
By the way, he actually hunts, points, etc. and absolutely loves to walk in woods, follow paths, etc.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by PE's Autumn On Fire, Mar 10 5:25 pm

Standard Poodle > My 9 week old Standard Poodle puppy is unsure around strangers

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 1:14am PST 
Probably not. As we are learning more about our SP family member, through research, and many conversations with others who are more experienced with the breed, it appears that, generally, they are quite "expressive" and "responsive." And your puppy is not very old. Thor, we didn't name him, he was adopted, for example, often makes all sorts of sounds, including "snorting" when he "doesn't approve" of something, in response to different situations. He's not loud, unless there is a good reason. Also, while a very calm, "loving," dog that is generally very interested, sometimes too interested, in interactions with humans and other dogs, he often has different reactions to different situations. Finally, we have been pleasantly surprised that Thor will also protect us if he thinks we are being attacked. Three times now, when an unleashed dog has attempted to "jump up" on us, or "rush" one of us, actually, one presumes, a "greeting," Thor was instantly between the dog and us growling, barking, teeth bared, etc. No biting but plenty of "warning" to the other dog. He instantly responded, as did the other dogs, to our commands, appropriately, in all three situations. SP's are very intelligent and very curious dogs.
Best wishes on the puppy. Socialization appears to be very important.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Nov 8 1:14 am

Dog Health > Why do ppl get breeds of dogs that have bad health issues and not do anything to help it?

Barked: Tue Oct 23, '12 5:30pm PST 
Why? Based purely on conversations with a good number of others over the years, and, now, particularly, as we walk our newly adopted SP twice daily, because a lot of people simply "impulse buy." "Oh, they're so cute." Or have very "primitive notions" about dog breeds ... "We want a small dog." or a "Big dog." A "fluffy dog." Or simply reearch on dog breeds means nothing ... "I can tell a good dog when I see one." Or research on dog breeds is "boring." I've been told many times, "breed standards mean nothing, just lies by the breeders." And, of course, combinations of all of the above, and that's just a beginning. Why don't people do more research about political candidates? Bad choices there effect their lives too.
Why don't so many people properly care for their animals? See above. And the costs of vets, and grooming, and healthy food, etc. Spend $50 on some cute puppie from someone's "back yard" and that's enough. Table scraps. A collar, maybe, if their yard isn't fenced in. Rabies? Why? Registration? What's that? "A dog is a dog." Why don't some people take proper care of their children, their grand-parents?
Finally, and I'll probably get some "heat" about this ... there is always the "shelters." If it is not working out, abandon the dog, or "drop off" the dog. Pretty easy.
Some of the members of our species are simply not very responsible. Or not very long on respect for other creatures.
How about we treat all "sales" as we do legal adoptions in our society? You have to earn your right to a new family member! Before we had child abuse laws we had animal abuse laws. In fact, the early child abuse advocates were also animal rights activists, some of the same people that pushed for animal abuse laws.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Mishka & Luna, Oct 25 7:58 am

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.