Postings by Guest ID 1019380

GO!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

Behavior & Training > Please help us

Barked: Mon Apr 28, '14 7:27pm PST 
I've gone through this with my dog who I rescued from a shelter. We are still working on it, but she is getting better. What helped us the most was a training class for reactive dogs. We start by teaching the dog to "look" at us. Use a treat and lure it to your eyes if you need to get the dog to look at you. When the dog makes eye contact, use a marker to let the dog know right away that he did the right thing (some people use a clicker or say "yes") and treat. Use really good treats. Practice this in the house....somewhere calm so he can learn what "look" means. As he gets better, you can gradually practice in more stimulating environments (but think small steps, like maybe outside when no one else is around). The idea is that he gets so good, he will "look" at you on command and not be able to react to other dogs. I didn't think this would work, but it does. It just takes a lot of small steps. If you encounter another dog, turn and go the other way. You don't want the dog to be able to practice getting all worked up, so avoid situations until he can learn to stay a bit more calm. Hopefully this gives some idea. Often, dogs who react poorly to other dogs are just afraid, so pretend to be scary as a defense mechanism.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Shiver Me Timbers "Charlie", Apr 28 8:13 pm

Dog Health > licking lips and swallowing hard

Barked: Mon Apr 28, '14 7:17pm PST 
Hi, I took by dog in to vet this morning as she had diarrhea for last 2 days. Stool sample was negative, and she was diagnosed with colitis and was started her on metroniazadol and Hills ID food tonight after fasting for the day. She seemed better but was licking lips and swallowing hard and seemed eager to go outside. When I took her out, she gobbled grass like a goat. Usually, she just eats a bit of grass and then gets sick, but she just kept gobbling so I stopped her. Didn't throw up, and is resting now. Why the hard swallowing and grass eating?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Kali, Apr 29 3:56 am

Dog Health > my neighbor's loose dog keeps coming to my house.

Barked: Sat Feb 22, '14 11:59am PST 
Does he have any tags on? If so, then maybe you get find out if he has a home. Maybe he is lost, or not being taken care of very well. It sounds like he is hungry and lonely. Can you see where he goes when he leaves your house? Good thing he has a nice neighbor like you! smile
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by B'Elanna (In Memory), Feb 26 8:16 am

Dog Health > toe nail removed

Barked: Fri Feb 21, '14 12:52pm PST 
Hi, my dog split her nail yesterday. We went to the vet, who removed it and put a big bandage on. She said to leave the bandage on for 3 days, and also gave her oral antibiotics for 5 days. She wasn't our regular vet (but in the same clinic so she had our records), so I'm a little more unsettled about it. Isn't 3 days a long time to leave the bandage on? Seems I was told to remove the bandage after a day when my other dog got a couple stitches in her paw. Also, she would hardly walk last night. I had to carry her out of the vet office (and she's 65#), and help her move that leg forward to walk. She's doing a bit better today, but still limping and acts like she doesn't know how to move. Is this normal? She had shoulder surgery last year and did better than this. How long will it take for it to heal so she can walk/run without pain? Any advice or sharing your experiences or things to look for or questions to ask the vet would be appreciated. I think I'd rather have my toenail removed than to watch my dog hurt frown
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Sheba (In Memory), Feb 26 8:18 am

Dog Health > just ate tulip bulb!

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 4:42pm PST 
Hi, I just caught my 62# dog pulling up a tulip and of course, when I went to take it from her she thought it'd be fun to run around the yard while she ate most of the bulb. I know tulip bulbs are toxic, so far she's acting fine (happened about 20 minutes ago). Is there anything I should do immediately? Our vet is closed, and we haven't had the best experience at emergency vet (but will go if we have to). Thanks for any info.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Kali, Apr 17 5:20 pm

Dog Health > upcoming shoulder surgery

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 5:51pm PST 
Hi, my 20 month old pup is going to have shoulder surgery next week for osteochondritis dissecans. I know she needs the surgery, and it's likely her best chance for an active life but the thought of taking her in for the surgery actually makes me a bit nauseous as she gets scared going to the vet and is such a sweet pup! I'm thinking I might take one of my T-shirts in with her so she has something that smells of home with her. Anyway, I know she will be on activity restriction for awhile after surgery. Any tips on tiring out an active pup who likes to play, but is on activity restriction? I know she probably won't be feeling well the first week or so, but what about after that? Sometimes I'll try training in the house to wear her out with her thinking skills when she can't run. Any other suggestions - for her or me? smile thanks.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jan 22 5:51 pm

Senior Dogs > Upset with a friend, not sure where to put this

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '12 5:03pm PST 
I agree, that people like that shouldn't have dogs, I understand financial problems but it sounds like she never really made decisions in the best interest of the dog's health. Adopting a mixed breed from a rescue isn't a guarantee of a "low cost dog" either. After doing a lot of research, I paid $350 to adopt a dog from a "non-profit" shelter because I thought they were doing a lot to save and care for dogs. Turns out I picked the pregnant dog! And she got pregnant at the shelter! The shelter did nothing to help until the puppies were born, and then they wanted them back (so they could sell them!). I found homes for all 10 pups myself, used up most of my vacation to care for the brood, and spent several thousand dollars to do so. Turns out my mama dog was also heartworm positive. But, I wouldn't have been able to do anything else, they are wonderful and healthy now! I don't think I'd keep a friend like that. frown
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Dec 21 7:53 pm

Dog Health > Twist is at the vets

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '12 2:12pm PST 
Glad to hear your pup is on the mend! That's scary. If you're having ongoing problems with the neighbors, you could always put a camera outside to get proof, I think they have some motion activated ones that aren't that expensive.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Monnie, Dec 21 6:18 pm

Dog Health > rash on belly between hind legs?

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '12 10:14am PST 
Ok, thanks Lily! Since we're snowed in, and I can watch her, maybe I'll give the cortisone cream a try. thank you.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Dec 20 10:14 am

Dog Health > Weird Loss of Balance

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '12 9:47am PST 
I'd take him to the vet. How long has it been going on? I've heard from friends that their dogs have had some balance problems, and turned out to be vertigo (just like people get). Was pretty scary for them, but went to vet and the doggie got better in about a week. Could also be something neurological which could be more serious (dogs can have strokes, just like people)....I'd go to the vet as soon as you're able.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Kali, Dec 20 6:14 pm

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.