GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > Ditching the kibble and jumping to homemade/raw
Pisces

Where's the- party at?!?!

Barked: Fri Dec 9, '11 8:19pm PST 
Thanks for the response!

Raw will always be included in my kid's diet. The cat gets 100% raw but feeding a 95 lbs lab mix, 13 lbs poodle, 7 lb cat and myself gets pretty costly. I just want to find something that is healthier but also inexpensive. The raw I feed is Woody's Pet Deli that is here in Minnesota. It is ground up that has the bones, organs and muscle meat in it. Google them! I love supporting local businesses smile Thanks for the comments!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Dec 9 8:19 pm

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > Ditching the kibble and jumping to homemade/raw
Pisces

Barked: Thu Dec 8, '11 9:02am PST 
Hello there!

I am thinking HARD about ditching the Blue Buffalo Wilderness totally. Currently I am feeding 50% kibble in the AM and 50% raw (bones, organs, muscle meat) at night. What do you all think of this recipe:

Boiled Russet/Yukon potatoes
Fresh carrots/green beans/red and green peppers etc whatever I have on hand.
Canned sardines/salmon
Baked egg shells every so often.

I am not sure about measurements yet but what do you think??

I am running it by my vet next week but she isn't the biggest fan of feeding raw but she doesn't raz me to much lol

Thanks for your advice!
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Dec 9 8:19 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Shih vs. Chi

Pisces

Barked: Wed Apr 6, '11 8:24pm PST 
Hello!

As a groomer I have pros and cons about both breeds. My friend also has a smooth coat chocolate Chihuahua name Prada and she is a sweetie. Most Chihuahuas are FIESTY. They are Rottweilers in a 5 lb body. Once you pass the 'initiation' process w/ a Chi, they are loyal and protective dogs. The health concerns I have seen is BALDING coat. I haven't met many on a raw/fresh diet though, so I don't know if that is due to diet or allergies. Luxating patella seems to be another common health problem. They are also barky :/

The Shih Tzus I come in contact with tend me to 'sickly'. Bred SUPER small. They called it the Royal Shih Tzu or something stupid like that. This poor pup is 9 months and has already had surgery on BOTH knees for Patella Luxating. I have seen eyes buldge so far out o the socket because some BYB likes the cocked/bug eyed look of it. HORRIBLE skin is another common issue. From a little bit of the history I know about Shih Tzus they were bred to be a companion and some are SO loving and mild mannered. And I love a Shih Tzu in a longer cut big grin Sunning to see their long, matt free coat.

My pick would be a Long Haired Chihuahua! big grin Good luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 38 posts. Last posting by , Apr 9 8:20 pm

Raw Food Diet > Cat eating only eating red meat??

Pisces

Barked: Fri Feb 18, '11 6:17pm PST 
Thanks for the response everyone!
All my kids eat ground raw. Organs, muscle meat and bones are included in the mixture. No veggies/grains/fruits. I get it at Woody's Pet Deli here in Minnesota. Well red meat it is! She will love it. Thanks again!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Feb 18 6:17 pm

Raw Food Diet > Cat eating only eating red meat??

Pisces

Barked: Fri Feb 18, '11 6:19am PST 
Hello again!!

I know this is DOGster but CATster is kinda..*crickets*. So I will ask my fellow dog lovas. My kitty Koi HATES white meat. Chicken, any fish, pheasant, turkey and DUCK is like poison in a bowl. She LOVES beef, deer, elk etc. Is it bad to just feed her a red meat diet? I still offer it. Nothing goes to waste because my dogs would eat each other if the other one wouldn't fight back big grin Thanks for your help!
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Feb 18 6:17 pm

Grooming > Groomer skinned Odus's face....what now?
Pisces

Barked: Tue Jan 25, '11 3:49pm PST 
Hello!

Sorry to hear about Odus frown I have a Poodle and I have done that accidently myself. Did he have a lot of crustys around/in his folds? I have noticed on the smushed faced pups that if moisture gets stuck in there it can get kinda irritated once the crusty is removed. The groomer SHOULD have told you about it. Humans make mistakes and if she didn't noticed it then she should have apoligized. Things happen! I would keep the area as dry as possible and keep him from scratching it. Poor kid! Hope it helps!
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Jan 30 7:01 pm

Raw Food Diet > Friend's dog with allergies/benefits of raw

Pisces

Barked: Wed Jan 19, '11 9:56am PST 
Thanks for your response Louie! Sorry your kid has allergies frown It looks so FRUSTRATING. I don't know why she doesn't react to the SOY food. What do you feed Louie? What is he allergic to?

I HIGHLY doubt she will feed raw so I don't try to push the issues. She is interested in learning about it but I think it's just for her education. She ask me TONS of questions and I LOVE chatting it up with her but I think Leia is the best I have ever seen her. I met her two years ago and she had swollen folds, puffy feet and a weird Frito smell. She tried TONS of different foods but never raw. I think she thinks that Leia's body will reject it..? I guess we will never know but I just wanted to hear others opinions.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Jan 20 11:34 am

Raw Food Diet > Friend's dog with allergies/benefits of raw

Pisces

Barked: Wed Jan 19, '11 8:37am PST 
Hello everyone! I have posted a few times but enjoy reading and learning from everyone's threads. I have been feeding my kids (2 dogs and a devil kitty big grin) raw for about 2 months and I see a HUGE difference in them all already. Pisces (Poodle) no longer has those reddish stains under his eyes, Starr (Lab thing) and Koi (cat) dont shed NEARLY as much has they use too, all have clear, booger free eyes, fresher breath etc but I have a friend who has a Boston Terrier/Pug mix named Leia with HORRIBLE allergies. After HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS of dollars later to figure out what she is allergic to, her vet put her on a monthly allergy shot (which one I don't know) and a precription SOY BASED diet her allergies are finally under control. I guess her body doesn't break down MEAT proteins right so thats why she is on SOY. She looks FANTASTIC and obviously the shots and food are working. But my question is....I thought dogs were MEAT eaters, so why is her body not breaking meat down? Think a raw diet of certain proteins (fish, lamb?) would help? She is pretty set on keeping her on the shots/food and will ask her vet about raw but it doesn't look likely that she will switch.

Sorry for the long post lol just want to give as much info as possible.

Thanks everyone for you advice and info!
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Jan 20 11:34 am

Raw Food Diet > Household arguement about raw

Starr

Are you gonna- eat that?

Barked: Tue Dec 7, '10 5:08pm PST 
Thanks for everyones responses!

CONCLUSION: I buy the pet food so I feed them what I want lol no seriously after her reading TONS of literature she is agreeing with me. I tell her just don't look at it lol.

The 'Muttley Crew' loves it and we are sticking with it! Thanks again!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Dec 8 9:00 am

Raw Food Diet > Household arguement about raw
Starr

Are you gonna- eat that?

Barked: Mon Dec 6, '10 7:32pm PST 
Good evening! I have been gradually switching the pups to ground raw (I get it from Woody's Pet deli http://www.woodyspetdeli. com). It has been about 3 weeks. My partner is arguing that the pets could be exposed to salmonella, e.coli etc. The dogs eat their meals in 5 secs but the cat 'nibbles' on hers for about 2 hours. All meals are fed from stainless steel and washed after every meal. Meals are thawed for the week and the rest is kept frozen. She would feel more comfotable if I cooked it. I told her I would cook it SLIGHTLY as a compromise. Will they still get all the nutrients?? Could they spread disease or parasites by licking us?

I don't think so but this is becoming a little bit of an issue lol something new to argue about laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by , Dec 8 9:00 am

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.