Postings by Mulder's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 444: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Behavior & Training > Will this method work for training against leash reactivity?
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sun Mar 29, '15 4:32pm PST 
Here's what I'll say:

Doing nothing but what you are describing will help to keep your dog out of trouble and prevent the rehearsal of the bad behaviors. Which is good.

However, that and that alone will not "fix" the reactivity.

You really need to figure out where he is coming from with the reactivity, and go from there. If its a fear issue you need to work on building confidence, if its over-excitement you need to work on impulse control, so on and so forth. How you will deal with the reaction will depend a lot on where that reaction is coming from. Pulling the dog away before he has a chance to do anything is better than just letting him react, but its not really fixing the root of the problem.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Mulder, Sun 4:32 pm

Raw Food Diet > Should I be avoiding meat with antibiotics?
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sun Mar 29, '15 4:25pm PST 
I generally live by the rule of... get what you can reasonably afford.

If you CAN feed hormone and antibiotic free meats, then I would go for it. Though personally, if I'm going to be spending more anyway, I would be paying more attention to cage free/free run/naturally fed products. The meat from animals fed appropriate diets is going to have better fatty acid profiles for your dog, but also being free run/etc helps to ensure at least SOME level of humane living conditions (most are still kept in mass on lots, but at least they live with their feet on the ground and not in a wire cage their whole lives...)
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Mulder, Sun 4:25 pm

Dog Health > Does anyone have experience with using Meloxicam (Metacam)?

Ridley

Cry cry cry!

Barked: Sun Mar 29, '15 6:45am PST 
Koby, I would advise you stay FAR away from any Dogswell jerky products, including Happy Hips.

I believe we are all well aware of the issues currently going on with Chinese-made dog jerky products. Dogswell continues to make most of their jerky in China, and has already suffered recalls because of it.

Companies like Earth Animal make a hip/joint jerky product that are actually made and sourced in the US, if you absolutely must do a treat like this.

I've never had to use Tram or Metacam. Ridley does have mild HD, though, so I do have a pretty strict regiment with him in terms of reducing inflation and joint care.

I'm actually using a horse product called Acti Flex 4000 (you can see its breakdown here) for his primary support, I just dose it out for him with a syringe plunger. Ridley gets about 2.5mls x2 daily, the other dogs get around 1.5mls x2/daily, and the smaller bottle still lasts me 2 months. I also do 2000mg of Ester C daily for inflation, as well as a powdered green lipped mussel supplement.

Never noticed any pain or stiffness from him doing this regiment. He's 0 to 100 in less than a second, so I have to imagine its doing something for him laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Koby, Sun 5:47 pm

Food & Nutrition > Rotators!!

Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Wed Mar 25, '15 6:09pm PST 
Oh, actually on that note Jasper, regarding dehydrated raw products... I've done Sojos/Grandma Lucy's in the past, and have absolutely seen chunks in the poop. Usually the carrot. So if its whole chunks, I would maybe let it rehydrate for longer than recommended, and maybe mash them up once they are soft. On the flip, I've been feeding THK for years, and have never had this problem. I'm assuming because its a much more ground up mix.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Peter Parker, Wed 9:32 pm

Raw Food Diet > Are there any mods left on this website?

Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Tue Mar 24, '15 6:00pm PST 
Seems my expectations were set too high, the "dog house" remains a fond memory of the past!

Great job Dogster.
[notify]
» There has since been -4 posts. Last posting by Kali earned her wings 10/21/14, Tue 6:26 pm

Food & Nutrition > Rotators!!
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Tue Mar 24, '15 5:59pm PST 
Lol.

I and Love and You looks fine.

I rotate constantly, my dogs rarely eat the same thing for too long. With raw I'm rotating weekly, with kibble monthly.

Magically all my dogs are still here. Your dogs will likely be too, Peter, as there is no actual scientific evidence to back anything that Jasper posted big laugh
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Peter Parker, Wed 9:32 pm

Behavior & Training > Elimanating on Carpet

Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Mon Mar 23, '15 6:56pm PST 
Just because the crate is recommended as a punisher here, doesn't mean it has to be an unhappy place. That comes from making it unhappy... getting angry at the dog when you put him in there, leaving him in for longer than needed, not making it a comfortable and enjoyable environment for them.

I use the crate for punishment all the time... negative punishment. I'm taking away freedom in order to decrease the likelihood of "x" bad behavior. Its NOT a positive punisher, using the crate itself as something unpleasant to the dog. In their crates, my dogs get bully sticks, kongs, antlers, a bed, whatever else they want. Again, its the freedom that you are taking away that's the actual punisher here, not the crate itself.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Mulder, Mon 6:56 pm

Behavior & Training > Doggie Birthdays..........

Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Tue Mar 17, '15 6:44am PST 
I don't do anything "big", but I usually get them a new toy and offer something special for their meals on birthdays. Ridley's last one I got him a new Jollyball, and everyone got beef ribs for dinner laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Koby, Wed 4:56 pm

Behavior & Training > Newly Adopted Terrier Starting Fights with Current Terrier

Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Tue Mar 17, '15 6:41am PST 
To be fair, Toto isn't WRONG about female terriers. SSA is rampant in terriers period, and assuming just because you've been able to successfully keep one pair of females together, does not mean you will have such luck with all. Its something to keep in mind, things never seem all that bad until they are, and things tend to turn serious pretty quickly.

A lot of it comes down to individual dogs. Simply put, some dogs click, and some dogs don't... don't let your prior experience cripple you to this notion, some same-sex pairs can coexist perfectly well. But others will not, and terriers of all breeds are notorious for taking things too far in this respect. I would absolutely pay attention to what Toto is saying, as she's been breeding and handling dogs for long enough to have seen plenty of this.

I ALSO would make sure "fully vetted" actually means "fully"... a physical and vaccines are not "fully". A full blood panel, and a thyroid test are always a good course of action when aggression issues start rearing up. Hypothyroidism is a condition that is becoming more common, and a notorious cause for medically-related aggression.

As far as what you can do in the short term, I would agree that always scolding and removing isn't going to make Matilda feel any better about the situation. If she's continuing (and escalating) these behavior despite scold/remove, she's likely not actually extrapolating from that routine what you think she is. If anything, she may be starting to associate Delilah with being dragged away and punished.

I guess the "generic" advise is to start implementing NILIF. Get 100% control of the environment, control interactions, make the dogs work for everything they get, etc. You need to stabilize the household to prevent further incident.

Then I would start working on desensitizing her to Delilah's presence. Still 100% control their interactions, ideally keep them on leash or crated while working on this, but try working on impulse control while around one another. Ask for focus, reward focus on you and not Delilah. When Delilah is around, reward calm interactions, and remove her while the interactions are still calm to prevent escalation. Don't try pushing things too far- once things are good, end them there, as rehearsal of problem behaviors only ingrains them deeper into the dog's routine.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Mulder, Mar 17 6:41 am

Behavior & Training > Newly Adopted Terrier Starting Fights with Current Terrier
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Mon Mar 16, '15 7:04am PST 
Are the incidents only happening while she's near the cage, or is ANY close contact causing a problem?

As always, its not a bad idea to get her a thorough vet check, including blood work, to rule out any physical issues.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Mulder, Mar 17 6:41 am

(Page 1 of 444: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.