Postings by Mulder's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 443: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Raw Food Diet > Are there any mods left on this website?
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Thu Mar 5, '15 6:17pm PST 
I just don't even know where to begin anymore. Its great they have this group, and its great they keeping saying things are going to get better, but boy is it hard to see that in the short-term.

I mean dang, is this the only mod on the site anymore? Are they so desperate to retain membership that they're willing to let rampant repeat offenders continue on without penalty?

HOW many posts were bathed on the raw boards alone by the SAME two people now, yet nothing has been done about this? I recall repeat offences actually getting you in trouble "back in the day", why should we continue to have to suffer this.

Remember a day where stuff like "raw kills" wasn't actually allowed on a forum that has a dedicated raw board????
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Amber, Today 7:33 pm

Food & Nutrition > Gassy pups on Blue Buffalo Wilderness.
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Thu Mar 5, '15 6:10pm PST 
Or, you know, you could NOT waste an absurd amount of money putting all of your dogs on a prescription diet for gas and feed them all less.

This is ridiculous.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Phoebe, Today 6:24 pm

Behavior & Training > You need to be firmer.

Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Tue Mar 3, '15 6:29pm PST 
I guess it depends on what they are meaning by giving him too much communication...

If you're just talking to the dog, saying phrases and sentences as a reward or a command, or talking just to talk, I could see where that could fudge things up in an actual training environment. Ideally you do want to be precise, to the point, you don't need to have a literal "conversation" with the dog to get the point across and I could understand the comment.

If she's talking about giving too much feedback... you can NEVER give too much feedback. Bolded and underlined just for you. Often much of the training we do suffers from too little communication in this respect, mostly from the handler, and mostly for the things the dog is actually doing right.

Rarely do you hear a trainer say you are correcting a dog too much... that's FEEDBACK to the dog, both punishment and reinforcement are forms of feedback... but praise too much, click too much, treat too much, and suddenly you are going "soft". No, there needs to be two sides of the coin, and done PROPERLY you really can't do too much of either.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Cash, Today 8:53 am

Raw Food Diet > Are there any mods left on this website?

Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Tue Mar 3, '15 6:08pm PST 
Any at all to contact? Or a contact form for the forum itself or SOMETHING?

Seriously, I know this is the wrong place for this, but its getting out of hand. A couple of years ago a dozen washed posts in such a short amount of time would get your account under review... now people can come in, break all the forum rules they please, and at BEST we can get the posts auto-washed... but nothings being DONE about it and its getting real old, real fast.

Dogster, if you're even still listening, things like this are exactly why people left the site in droves.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Amber, Today 7:33 pm

Behavior & Training > mom and female pup living together

Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Mon Mar 2, '15 6:13am PST 
For a female dog, usually around sexual maturity. This can be as early as the first heat, the time of which can vary by dog. Spaying both of them may help, may not, again it very much depends on the dogs temperaments and personalities.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Marley, Mon 6:14 pm

Behavior & Training > mom and female pup living together
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sun Mar 1, '15 7:19pm PST 
Totally depends on the dogs.

Any same sex pairing can have issues, Rotts are far from exempt.

But plenty do it. Know someone here that has a mother/daughter GSD pair (dicey breed with female/female as a rule) that gets on fine. Should be noted that the owner is a trainer and their dogs are not left loose when unattended.

It happens. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, that's really the best thing to be said unfortunately.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Marley, Mon 6:14 pm

Raw Food Diet > Starting a puppy on raw, hasn't been going well?

Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sun Mar 1, '15 6:55am PST 
First of all, ignore the people who keep breaking forum rules and coming to the RAW boards to bash raw. They know they shouldn't be doing it, but for some reason refuse to learn and continue on their freaky pro-Science Diet, anti-good sense campaign.

Second, 7 weeks was too young for the breeder to have released the dog to you. Unless they had raw weaned the pups themselves, it probably was also a bad move to immediately have switched to raw right after buying the puppy. Large amounts of change all at once do not usually go over well with extremely young puppies.

Damage is done on that front, so what I would do going forward is this:

Either pick raw or kibble, stop going back and forth until you get the digestion issues sorted. Obviously I would say stick with the raw, but do whichever you're going to have the easier time with. Its not about digestion rates or bad combinations, its about too much too soon.

IF you're going to go raw, you're going to need to cut 90% of what you're doing. Throwing all of that stuff together right off the bat (cottage cheese, coconut oil, egg, etc) is likely a portion of your problem. Get some bone-in chicken (drumsticks are usually a good starting point for younger pups), and provided it is RAW, mix in some of the goat's milk. If not, you can try a small bit of (ideally fresh) Kefir or even a straight probiotic supplement to get them back on the right track. Feed only this for 3-4 days, watching for consistency of stool. Once stools have normalized, you can slowly start adding other ingredients back into the mix. Where you start with that is up to you, but I would work on organs (liver) next, as those are essential for a balanced raw diet while the other things are generally not.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ginger, Sun 9:26 am

Food & Nutrition > Gassy pups on Blue Buffalo Wilderness.

Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Mon Feb 23, '15 3:29pm PST 
I know a lot of vets/etc endorse free feeding for puppies under a certain age, but personally, I would ditch the "let them eat as much as they want from the pan" idea and move to measured feedings.

Eating too much, especially too quickly, is almost always the culprit for digestive upset, especially on richer foods.

By 8 weeks there's no reason to continue free feeding. When I weaned my litter of rescue puppies, the moment they were on solids I was portioning. Everyone ate separate, on appropriate rations at appropriate intervals throughout the day.

Also, me personally here, strongly dislike feeding from the same bowl. It creates too much competition, which at best means gulping food too quickly, or at worse creating resource guarding issues later on down the line.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Phoebe, Today 6:24 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > designer breeds

Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Fri Feb 20, '15 11:45am PST 
Ah, haha, sorry laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Feb 22 9:28 am

Choosing the Right Dog > designer breeds
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Fri Feb 20, '15 8:34am PST 
Sorry, HD meaning hip dysplasia.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Feb 22 9:28 am

(Page 1 of 443: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.