Postings by Sheeba's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 119: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Behavior & Training > What's your favorite Dog Trick?
Sheeba

Always remember- the 7th of Feb- 2009 â

Barked: Sun Oct 20, '13 10:41pm PST 
Sheeba knows quite a few different tricks, these are:
Beg
High five
Give me ten (high five with both paws)
Spin
Wave
Shake
Carry (if you give her an item she'll hold it without biting)

She also knows a fair amount of obedience "tricks"
She has automatic sits when I stop, she'll even sit and wait while I stop to tie my shoe lace up)
I can place her in a sit when she's basically bouncing off the walls to go for a walk, go to the door, let the cat in (who then walks past her) and she won't break
She ignores people and focuses

I also taught another dog to pick up an item, put it in a basket and bring it back.

I've taught most of these with luring and shaping.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Oct 21 4:03 am

Choosing the Right Dog > APBT/Amstaff/Staffie Comparison
Sheeba

Barked: Sun Jun 9, '13 8:17pm PST 
I know this thread is old (I saw it linked in a more current thread so figured I'll bump it up).

I've had Sheeba for 4 years now, she's a brilliant dog and I love her super much, however I'm unsure what type of "bully breed" she actually has in her. I live in Australia and recently a BSL law has been bought in stating that councils can seize any dog that is a Pit Bull or Pit Bull mix or anything that LOOKS like one (Pit Bulls are a restricted breed in Victoria). We got Sheeba after Australia's worst bush fires, she was found wandering four weeks after them and then was at a vet clinic for 6 weeks. She had severe dog aggression and came to us in heat, the vets said she'd had multiple puppies.

I've been working on her aggression issues heaps and she's come along way, in fact I'm currently doing a course to become a dog trainer. I believe that Sheeba is an American Staffie cross Ridgeback as she's far too big to be an English Staffy and she has the ridge of a ridgeback. What I'm mainly wandering is though is do you think she looks more Pit Bull or more Amstaff? I mean they're basically the same but the government is so darn stupid and the council officers aren't even trained in breed identification. I've had Dogster members say she looks like a pure bred Pit Bull.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Opheila, Jun 10 7:35 am

Dog Health > Fractured ankle and torn ligaments

Sheeba

Barked: Wed Dec 19, '12 6:22am PST 
Update:
she got more bandaging on her splint on Saturday which then caused rubbing on the top of her leg, we got it re-bandaged on Monday (we are pretty sure the vet put the extra bandages on too tight on Saturday) as that's what they believed to be causing the irritation
Nicole Fox: However, by today the bandage had been rubbing so much she has a large raw wound on the top of her leg as well as sores on her paw and hock, as a result the vets have taken off her splint and bandages so we are now back to square one, only this time with added sores, we are very unhappy with the service and hoping to change vet clinics.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Sheeba, Dec 19 6:22 am

Dog Health > Fractured ankle and torn ligaments

Sheeba

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '12 3:50am PST 
Ok, well Sheeba is clumsy and full of energy, anyway, a couple of weeks back she was running around the yard and in her mood of craziness she ran up the stairs and jumped on our outside couch but knocked her leg into the arm rest. My brother and I noticed Sheeba limping but she initially shook it off. (From memory I think she also slipped coming up the steps), a few days later we noticed her avoiding putting weight on her leg, we took her to the vet and they gave us anti inflammatories for it, while she was on them she'd stopped limping, however once she came off them she was worse. The vets then took an x-ray and found that she's fractured her hock/ankle and done ligament damage. Tomorrow she's getting a splint.

My main question is what can I do to relieve the stress/pain and in the post recovery time would it be a good idea to start up water therapy?
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Sheeba, Dec 19 6:22 am

Behavior & Training > Dogs that test their owners?

Sheeba

Barked: Sun Jul 1, '12 1:08am PST 
I know this feeling all too well!
Sheeba is an American Staffy cross Ridgeback. As if it wasn't hard enough training a hard headed terrier add into the mix a hound. Having got Sheeba when she was around 3 years old and having NO knowledge on her background or training other than the fact she'd faced rough times I decided it'd be easiest to start training her with a "clean slate", teaching her all the basics and working up from it.

Sheeba is a dog that LOVES to push you and try to see how far she can push the boundaries. She now knows her commands and what is expected of her. When we are on walks she is trained to a sit stop, however, sometimes she gets bored and will inch herself forward or hover her bum above the ground.

She often decides what she wants to do, however, verbally reprimanding her makes her fall into line, although I of course take everything with a cup of humor. Such as the time she and the cat chewed through the back door.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Tyler , Jul 3 4:52 pm

Behavior & Training > Sick to my stomach and horrified!
Sheeba

Barked: Thu Jun 14, '12 12:25am PST 
That is actually disgusting, even though the site itself is a joke the problem is very much real. Society fails again.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Lobo, Jun 14 9:14 pm

Behavior & Training > Ever wonder if your dog will protect you?

Sheeba

Barked: Thu Jun 14, '12 12:13am PST 
I think that people would be rather foolish to take on Sheeba. Now Sheeba is a real love bug and good with people. In fact she's sometimes approached by young children who run up to hug her. However, if someone is menacing me I know she'd step in.

Sometimes on walks she gets bad vibes from passing people. At night whe walking she is always scanning her surrounds. Often she alerts me of people long before I notice them. Initially she isn't aggressive to them but she locks her sight onto them, her ears go up and she makes herself big. Often she'll just watch them past by, however sometimes we've passed overly creepy people ad she's let out a low growl.

In the past one of my family members have walked into my room without knocking and Sheeba sits upright and lets out such a menacing growl. In one incident I was sleeping and my brother quietly came into my room to get the laptop and because it was dark Sheeba couldn't see him properly, I was awoken by ferocious throaty barks and growls, of course as soon as Sheeba knows that it's family she just wants pats.

I often walk Sheeba at night and feel safe in her presence. As for protecting me from animals I know she would, I believe she was an ex hunting dog. A few weeks ago I was walking her with my friend at night and we saw a large shadowy creature in the middle of the bridge, Sheeba spotted it and went rigid, hackles up and gaze locked onto it. Turns out it was a fox, thankfully it was happy to flee. Sadly though, living in Australia I hope that if she were to come across a snake she'd back off and not try to aggravate it.

Often my friends and I will be mock wrestling and when Sheeba thinks it's too much she steps in. It's a touching seeing how grateful/how much she cares about us to protect me.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Kahuna, Jun 25 10:44 am

Behavior & Training > Don't give up hope!

Sheeba

Barked: Tue Jun 12, '12 8:51am PST 
Some of the older posters may remember me. I am the owner of a rescue dog that's an American Staffy cross Ridgeback. I came into possession of her after a traumatic bush fire where she lost her owners. This dog is none other than Sheeba. When we got her she was severely dog aggressive and would react fast and furiously. She resembled a "demon" dog. We went to a dog trainer, who actually made her problems worse. When walking her if she spotted a dog on the opposite side of the street she'd be jumping, lunging and making a scene.

We Eventually found a dog trainer that was perfect for us and Sheeba. Each day we made great progress. Unfortunately part way through last year we stopped going to dog training due to personal problems. We continued training Sheeba ourselves and my has she flourished! When we first got her she'd react to a dog 500 meters away, we are now able to calmly pass by dogs and I was able to take her to my work and put her in a see through cage next to another dog and she calmly laid down and was relaxed.

I am so proud of the progress my beautiful baby has made. She's like a whole new dog, never give up on your dog as with persistence there's hope. Ours took 3 years and counting.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Jackson Tan, Jun 13 12:39 am

Behavior & Training > She snapped at a child (I don't know what to do)

Sheeba

Barked: Tue Jun 12, '12 8:44am PST 
I got my dog as a foster when I was 16. I fell in love with her and convinced my family to let me keep her. My dog had severe dog aggression. For the first year I had to sacrifice my weekend sleep ins to take her to dog training. Except the first trainers we took her to we're USELESS. Having said that, in the process of training her we worked the isolation method. When she was on walks we would NOT let her near dogs, when passing other dog owners I'd move right out the way. Initially she used to react to dogs about 500 meters away. However, after 3 years of SOLID, tireless training I've got her to the stage where we can walk past other dogs and she is fine. Your dog seems to not like the energy that kids throw off. As stated by the other posters, seek professional help, isolate from being near kids and work hard.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Kashmir ♥ CGC, Jun 27 8:25 am

Dogster Crushes > The Random Thread
Sheeba

Barked: Tue Jun 12, '12 8:10am PST 
Hey all wave,
To explain my absence I woefully forgot about Dogster and just popped on. Hope all of you have been well! All my pets are relatively well. It's getting into Winter and I'm already NOT very fond of the cold. =/
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by Yoshi, May 26 10:18 am

(Page 1 of 119: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.