Postings by My Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 32: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Behavior & Training > When is it time to leave day care?
Remy

I hate sweaters

Barked: Tue Jul 2, '13 7:31pm PST 
Thanks for the input. It's very convenient to have him there one day a week if I need him out of the house for some reason or since his groomer is there, but I can work around that. I'll give it a few weeks to see if there is any change in how he responds when they try and take him away, but it may be time. He only goes one day a week. The other 4 he is very happy to stay home as long as he gets a treat on my way out the door.

At the dog park, I've noticed that he still enjoys the company of dogs, but is very selective about who he wants to actually play with. An occasional trip there and walks with the neighbor dog may be enough for him now. His best friend from day care is moving away soon, so at least I don't have to feel guilty about breaking them up, though it breaks my heart for him.

I can always use the $$$ for nose work classes in the fall. He was loving that, but it's hard to afford both that and day care.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jul 2 7:31 pm

Behavior & Training > When is it time to leave day care?
Remy

I hate sweaters

Barked: Tue Jul 2, '13 3:19am PST 
Remy has been going to day care since he was a year old. He's almost 5 now. Initially he was very friendly with dogs, but didn't know how to play and had little experience interacting with them. It's done him a world of good. The one thing he has never liked is that I leave him there without me, but in the past he's always seemed to put up with it. Lately he seems much more upset about the idea of me leaving. I'm wondering if he's getting to a point where the fun isn't worth it any more.

To complicate matters, we don't have a dog park close enough to go frequently,though even when we do, he doesn't always find someone he wants to play with. We have one neighborhood dog he plays with sometimes, but my efforts to find other dogs with compatible play styles and energy levels have not gone well, so this will really reduce his doggie time.

How do you know when it's time to leave day care?
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Jul 2 7:31 pm

Behavior & Training > Scared or in pain? How do I tell?

Remy

I hate sweaters

Barked: Tue Mar 19, '13 5:17am PST 
This is a follow up to my previous post. Whatever is going on started up last night shortly after I got home from work and has not abated. I'm starting to wonder if he's in pain. The problem is, most everything he's doing could be explained by both fear or pain and I don't know how to narrow it down.

Right now he's laying by my feet, which is odd. It could be because he's scared and laying between the couch and ottoman feels safe - he does this during thunder storms. Or it could be because he wants to be by me, but it hurts to jump up on the couch or take his little stairs.

In general, he does not want me to touch/hold him. He's not super cuddly, but usually mornings and evenings are cuddle time and he stayed far away last night and didn't come bounding up on the chaise for our start-the-day cuddle session. It took a while for him to eat and he wasn't willing to come off the chaise (I put him up there) to get the food. Once I put him on the floor, he moved easily through some tricks, but would not lay flat on the floor on his side. He's never been fond of this and won't do it if he's feeling vulnerable - like if the scary kitty was in the room. He also really, really didn't want to go upstairs this morning to use his potty grass, but later went up and down following me for treats.

What got me thinking about it last night was when he came into my room at bedtime and just stood there staring at his bed for 10 minutes but never moved to get in it. He also avoiding the chair where he usually sleeps. I realized that I haven't seen him on a couch, chair, etc. of is own doing since shortly after I got home last night. Coming into the house also requires him to come up a fairly steep step.

In general, his ears are up this morning, but he's moving cautiously and his pom tail is hanging low.

Any ideas on how to narrow this down? We do have a vet visit on Thursday for a vaccine, but only with a tech.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Mar 19 1:58 pm

Behavior & Training > Your dog/dogs best and worst breed-related trait?

Remy

I hate sweaters

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 4:39pm PST 
Remy (pomeranian)

Best trait - intelligent, interested in EVERYTHING

Worst trait - oh good heavens, the barking. And maybe also that he's intelligent. laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 28 posts. Last posting by , Mar 1 7:25 am

Grooming > Flat coated poms

Remy

I hate sweaters

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '13 9:45am PST 
Discussions about shaving double coated dogs always makes me wonder about this.

Remy is a flat coated pom. he's got some fullness around his neck and chest and his butt is fluffy, but in between he's super flat. I prefer to keep his coat natural and he'd probably look ridiculous shaved or trimmed short anyway, but would there be the same issues with how his coat would grow out as a regular double coated dog?

How do others groom their flat coated poms?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jan 22 11:35 am

Small Dogs > Snowsuit for winter walks?
Remy

I hate sweaters

Barked: Sun Nov 18, '12 2:38pm PST 
Remy isn't exactly a full coated pom. He's flat coated with a lot of fur around his neck in the best of times. He went through a big shed this summer, so his coat is a little spotty right now. Still, I'll probably just keep an eye on him and only put on a sweater/coat if he looks cold. It's easy enough to toss one in my pocket. My mom's making leg warmers for his front legs, since I know he has pain when it gets below 20, but that maybe all he needs.

So far attempts to get him to wear Pawz are not going well. The back feet are fine, but I can't get them on the front and the next size up looks WAY too big. I don't have much hope for other types of boots.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Feb 5 1:01 pm

Remy

I hate sweaters

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 7:00am PST 
Sigh. I did NOT need to know about all the adorable sweaters at BaxterBoos. Poor Remy, guess what he's getting for Christmas.
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by , Feb 5 1:01 pm

Remy

I hate sweaters

Barked: Fri Nov 9, '12 5:39pm PST 
Remy and I are going to be upping our winter walks this year, so I'm trying to figure out if he has the right gear. He has sweaters and I"m looking to get him a fleece jacket that will cover his front legs, but I'm wondering if he needs something for his back legs too? He's fairly furry on his back, though it thinned out this summer quite a bit, but his lets are pretty bare. We'll probably be walking for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours in weather down to 20 degrees. Do dogs need their legs covered too or does walking keep them enough?
[notify]
» There has since been 19 posts. Last posting by , Feb 5 1:01 pm

Pomeranian > How much energy for a 4-year-old?

Remy

I hate sweaters

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 8:25am PST 
Remy recently turned four. In the past, keeping him busy and exercised during the late fall/winter has always been a challenge, but this year when I try and get him playing, he's just not that interested and if we do play, he loses interest quickly. I've also noticed that he rarely chews on his chewys anymore. I try and get him out for walks when I can and he loves that, but otherwise, he seems happy to just be a lap dog these days. Is he too young to be this settled down?

We just had a full blood workup for some dental work, so I'm pretty sure he's fine, but I just thought I'd see what others poms are like.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Nov 27 8:34 am

Food & Nutrition > Kongs are too difficult
Remy

I hate sweaters

Barked: Fri Oct 19, '12 7:46pm PST 
Remy has trouble with the food at the bottom too. I fill the bottom section with kibble to make it easier, but he usually brings it to me to help out anyway.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Oct 22 10:08 pm

(Page 1 of 32: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.