Postings by joey's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 62: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Food & Nutrition > Nutrisca dog food?
joey

I'm working on- three toys!

Barked: Thu Oct 24, '13 6:00pm PST 
I was feeding Nutrisca kibble for a while. I felt it was a good food. I forget why I changed, but it was not because of any negative feeling about the food, unless there was one ingredient in there I was afraid of, due to possible allergies!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by joey, Oct 24 6:00 pm

Food & Nutrition > Raised food bowl?
joey

Barked: Thu Oct 24, '13 5:57pm PST 
I did see that Purdue info before, but while it's helpful, it doesn't appear to be information on their actual study. I've seen summaries of the study, but can't find the actual one!

Dante, if you find any good info, please let us know! It appears that bloat is caused more by gulping air than eating a particular food, but I've always wondered about that, as bloating in humans seems to be associated more with food than air! For example, beans and other carbs seem to produce gas. Now that most of the kibble manufacturers and canned dog food manufacturers are jumping on the band wagon, commercial dog foods seem to have a lot of carbs like peas replacing the dreaded grains. I wonder if these foods cause gas or bloat in dogs, since they apparently don't have the enzyme needed to easily digest them.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by joey, Oct 24 5:57 pm

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > Recipes with Fish

joey

Barked: Thu Oct 24, '13 5:48pm PST 
Thank you for the information. I'll look at Balance It again, as I haven't explored it for a couple months. I'll also think about Monica Segal's recipe and try Nutrition again tomorrow.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by joey, Oct 24 5:48 pm

Food & Nutrition > Boo Allergies!

joey

Barked: Tue Oct 22, '13 2:17pm PST 
I'm not sure if these are any cheaper than the raw you're feeding, but there ARE alternatives out there besides raw and kibble. Canned is expensive, but I feel a good quality canned food is better than a good quality kibble. Sojos and Honest Kitchen aren't exactly cheap, but at least they're good foods. Homecooking is great if you have the time, although probably more expensive than kibble.

One thing I've learned is that I really can't change Joey's food very often, even if I make the change slowly, as any change seems to cause a little bit of stress and then his paw licking increases, making me think he is allergic to that newest food. I really believe that you need to try any new food for at least 3 to 4 weeks to see if it will make even the slightest improvement. I have a tendency to see more paw licking after a few days, assume he's allergic to the food, and scrap the whole idea that a particular food might be good for him (allergy-wise). That ends up meaning that he is getting too many new foods and I think his stomach is confused by all the changes.

I'm currently feeding part canned, part kibble, using Wellness and Acana fish products. I hesitate to feed raw as Joey is a cancer survivor and I'm afraid his immune system might be a little shaky. Acana seems to be a good kibble if you have to feed part kibble, however I would explore other options before going with kibble! The raw is definitely helping, so I would stick to that. Maybe the folks on the raw section could give you some advice on how to find and afford novel proteins.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by joey, Oct 22 2:17 pm

Food & Nutrition > Raised food bowl?

joey

Barked: Tue Oct 22, '13 2:06pm PST 
I am concerned about bloat, as Joey has had a few instances which seemed to be gas-related and very mild cases of bloat. According to the last Purdue study on bloat, one of the recommendations was to NOT use raised bowls, so I feed Joey on a cookie pan on the floor. Of course he is only about a foot or foot and a half tall, so leaning over isn't too difficult for him. I also like the cookie pan (or a muffin pan can be used) because it slows down his eating a bit.

I am still a little confused as to why Purdue recommended non-raised bowls, unless the dog takes in less air that way, which can cause excess gas and bloat, but since I am concerned with bloat, I am taking their recommendation to heart. Of course, I still have Joey's water bowl elevated, so it's a bit of a mixed bag.

If anyone can find the actual Purdue study on line, I'd love to have the link.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by joey, Oct 24 5:57 pm

joey

Barked: Thu Oct 17, '13 12:21pm PST 
Well, I just can't get Nutrition Data to look up a particular food so I can add it to an existing recipe (using turkey) that I have.

The Segal recipe looked promising until I saw how many supplements and vitamins you need to add. Given that there are a lot of ingredients in the recipe, I was a little curious whether all those additional things were really needed, or if Segal was just trying to sell them!

I will keep trying, I guess.

Has anyone ever used Balance It? I'd like to be able to develop homecooked food for Joey without simply dumping in a batch of supplements, but I would guess that this would at least be a better food than kibble!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by joey, Oct 24 5:48 pm

joey

Barked: Tue Oct 15, '13 2:34pm PST 
I want to start home cooking, but I believe someone mentioned that making up recipes on Nutritiondata.com was no longer possible. Is this true?

Does anyone have a recipe for a fish-based meal you would be willing to share?
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by joey, Oct 24 5:48 pm

Dog Health > Bloat

joey

Barked: Wed Oct 9, '13 9:37am PST 
I meant I'm sorry about Kali's mom...and glad that Kali is doing well.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Kali earned her wings 10/21/14, Oct 9 4:42 pm

Food & Nutrition > Grain Free & Salt & Ash Content Questions

joey

Barked: Wed Oct 9, '13 6:21am PST 
Thanks, Maxwell. I will re-read this response later to make sure I understand it, and look at the foods I have. I also have some other questions (including where to find the Purdue study, which I posed in another post under the Health section) and will come back here this afternoon for that.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Bunny, Nov 10 4:40 am

Dog Health > Bloat
joey

Barked: Wed Oct 9, '13 6:14am PST 
Thank you. I have some Gas-X and I have thought about giving it to Joey - just wasn't sure if that should be something I should do every day. I'm glad Kali survived her bloat experience and is doing better on the Gas-X.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Kali earned her wings 10/21/14, Oct 9 4:42 pm

(Page 1 of 62: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.