Postings by Sally Beaker 's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 28: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Puppy Place > How to correct a puppy when nipping??
Sally Beaker-

Professional- Bone Horder

Barked: Thu Jun 27, '13 3:59am PST 
It really sounds like your pup wants to play with you. When she nips, try yelping like a puppy. When puppies are young and playing with their litter mates, if one puppy gets to rough the other will obviously yelp. This usually gets the other to at least stop for a second.
The noise should be enough to distract your little girl so you can redirect her attention to something more appropriate, like a rope toy, other than your hands.
So, to recap: when she nips you, yelp. If she stops, tell her good girl and give her a toy to play with. I would pick something interactive, like a tug toy since she seems to want to play.
She should catch on that playing with a toy is was better than your hands. Good luck!
P.S. The bitter apple spray on your hands is a good idea too. wink
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Sonny, Jun 27 6:36 pm

Food & Nutrition > how far do you drive?
Sally Beaker-

Barked: Fri Jul 6, '12 5:45pm PST 
I work in the city that has stores that sell my dogs' food. It's about 45 minutes one way. Luckily I can just pop on over to TSC or the Pet Boutique and pick it up after work though.
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by ELVIS, Jul 19 7:06 pm

American Pit Bull Terrier > Ameican Bully Vs. American Pitbull.

Molly Bird

What? You said- sit? Ok I'll- jump on you!

Barked: Mon Jul 2, '12 7:53pm PST 
I have to agree with Daddy and Ace, American Bullies are designer dogs. They look much more like English Bulldogs than APBT or AmStaff.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Scooter, Aug 15 9:32 pm

American Pit Bull Terrier > So... does the term "Pit Bull" offend some of you pit owners?...

Molly Bird

Barked: Mon Jul 2, '12 7:44pm PST 
I call mine "pit bulls" since American Pit Bull Terrier is a bit of a mouthful. It doesn't offend me at all when other people call them that either. My fiance hates when people call them "pits" though. He thinks it sounds degrading. Pitties and Pibbles are fine.puppy
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Dyno, Feb 10 3:42 pm

German Shepherd > I have a soft coated shepherd

Sally Beaker-

Barked: Mon Jul 2, '12 7:35pm PST 
I know there are different types of coats that shepherds can have.
Sally's background is pretty much like Sabi's. We think she's a GSD because she doesn't look like she could be anything else.
But damn, her coat is so soft and fluffy. I think what she has is called a "plush coat". She seems to have a lot more of an undercoat compared to my other GSD, Koda. She seems to shed a heck of a lot more than him too.
Koda's coat is much more coarse than hers and seems to lay closer to his body. So, I think he has a "short coat".
It's so hard to tell sometimes though, everyone always claims something different when it comes to GSDs.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Sabi, Jul 6 7:01 pm

Food & Nutrition > Taste of the Wild
Sally Beaker-

Barked: Sun Feb 26, '12 4:37pm PST 
My dogs love the lamb formula! And I love that it's grain free for my two APBTs who have grain allergies. smile We've been on TOTW for about two years now.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Sandy Baby ♥, Feb 29 6:34 pm

Senior Dogs > The positives of senior dogs.

Molly Bird

Barked: Fri Feb 17, '12 4:10am PST 
3 of mine are just hitting the senior years. Molly and Benz are 8, Sally is 7. Sally has always been pretty low key and mellow but the other two...not so much.
Molly and Benz were so, so rambunctious and borderline ADHA, bol! At times they were just a nightmare. And the barking. Oh those two would bark at a leaf blowing across the yard.
They still bark but not nearly as much. They don't try to molest guests when they come over. Snuggle time seems to be the number one thing on their list or just trotting around the yard and finding a good stick to chew. They definitely aren't as crazy and it's nice to see that they might have finally come out of their "teenage" stage. big grin
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Daddy, Mar 10 7:35 pm

Other Barks & Woofs > What Did You Get Your Dog For Valentine's Day?

Molly Bird

Barked: Thu Feb 16, '12 4:07am PST 
I didn't get mine anything but we spent the night curled up on the couch watching the Westminster with our Snuggies. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Bruno CGC, Feb 19 6:58 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > APBT - questions

Benz Daimler

Famous Ladies- Man

Barked: Thu Feb 16, '12 4:02am PST 
Apparently the link wanted it's own response box!
That is a link to questions you should ask a breeder (and yourself), might be helpful to you. smile
I looked at the first 3 kennels you posted, which all 3 seemed pretty good. What I liked best about the Inferno Kennel was the application to adopt one of their puppies. It seems like they don't let their dogs go to just anybody.
Also, some breeders may have dogs who are "retired" from breeding that they'd like to re-home. And also, if possible, visit the kennel before you get a dog.
I love to rescue dogs and you can sometimes find puppies with rescues. If not a puppy, there are plenty of adult dogs out there!
I'm very glad you're educating yourself about the breed first, that is so important! My fiance didn't and while I love his (our) 2 APBTs, they were from a BYB who just wanted his dog to have a litter of puppies. Their father was a gem as far as I'm told but their mother was aggressive with people and other animals. And my fiance didn't socialize them properly. confused Had I been in the picture when he got the dogs, things would be different, bol!
Good luck and keep researching!
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Pepper, Feb 29 4:36 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > APBT - questions
Benz Daimler

Famous Ladies- Man

Barked: Thu Feb 16, '12 4:00am PST 
http://www.syntari.com/purchase.htm
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Pepper, Feb 29 4:36 pm

(Page 1 of 28: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.